Mandated show themes?

figure skating used to also have compulsory figures up until 1991.  before even doing any artistic short and long programs, they had to do the equivalent of basics block to show fundamental skills  and it was worth a lot in competitions. 

and there are still a bunch of required elements in competitive figure skating programs.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

figure skating used to also have compulsory figures up until 1991.  before even doing any artistic short and long programs, they had to do the equivalent of basics block to show fundamental skills  and it was worth a lot in competitions. 

and there are still a bunch of required elements in competitive figure skating programs.  

Yes...and they got rid of that because nobody cared if a skater can do figure 8's perfectly.

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This.  At one point figure skating (daughter used to do this) had a list of mandatory things that were required in the performance.  IDK what the technical terms are, but the foot the jumps start and land on determine what kind it is.   You had to have X numbers of these or your score would take a hit.  But how you worked them in was up to you. 

Compulsaries

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Great. This would be BD's kill on the competition. And you guys don't see this at all.

Because if BD had to do MORE judgeable content it means even more of a win?  I am not seeing this.  It's a LOT easier to clean what isn't there.

1 hour ago, DFA1970 said:

Yes...and they got rid of that because nobody cared if a skater can do figure 8's perfectly.

The blade/edgework elements involved in things like figure 8's were replaced by required elements in programs like spiral sequences.  Same with most of the stuff that was part of compulsory figures.  Achievement with those skills is still a big part of competitive figure skating today.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mello Dude said:

Because if BD had to do MORE judgeable content it means even more of a win?  I am not seeing this.  It's a LOT easier to clean what isn't there.

Yup...that is exactly what that is. But look at the last 10 year competition. Coats. Crown and SCV could not repeat as champion. In fact the last corp to repeat other than BD was Cavaliers in 2001-2002. That is 20 years ago. So yes if one wants to get down to more content in judging it would be BD pretty much every year.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Compulsaries

Compulsories were completely separate from any programs skaters did, actually.  No music.  Just a demonstration of a set of skills that every skater had to do.  

Boo would've been all over talking about this.  Miss the guy. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lance said:

Compulsories were completely separate from any programs skaters did, actually.  No music.  Just a demonstration of a set of skills that every skater had to do.  

Boo would've been all over talking about this.  Miss the guy. 

I know that. I was answering the poster who couldn’t remember what they were called.  You are also correct that when they went away,  there became required elements, but compulsories were actually replaced by the short programs.

sorry about the diversion to figure skating…

Edited by DWW11

6 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

I know that. I was answering the poster who couldn’t remember what they were called.  You are also correct that when they went away,  there became required elements, but compulsories were actually replaced by the short programs.

sorry about the diversion to figure skating…

As others (Mike Boo for one) have pointed out, there is a degree of similarity between figure skating and Drum Corps.  Both are athletic and have both technical and artistic elements that are scored. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

As others (Mike Boo for one) have pointed out, there is a degree of similarity between figure skating and Drum Corps.  Both are athletic and have both technical and artistic elements that are scored. 

I hadn’t heard that about Mr. Boo. Maybe that’s why drum corps hooked me!  💙👿