Mandated show themes?

57 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

**COUGH**Legendoftheoneeyedsailor**COUGH

Or like 14 other songs my Mangione

and Birdland. and Tiger of San Pedro. and any popular ballady closer that could be a big ending back in the day

• Like 1

I can’t think of anything less appealing that this concept.  I like the diversity in corps productions.  A chosen theme or production also relates to a corps identity or their establishment of an identity.  I also think design creativity would be very inhibited.  Just my $.02.

20 hours ago, combia1 said:

What if DCI tried an experiment for one year. A mandated show theme that all corps must interpret. Kind of like they do with floats in the Rose Parade.

I would love to see how all corps would interpret a common topic. What risks? Many units might sound and look similar. 

Thoughts?

It would be fascinating to see what everyone's take would be.  I would rather see compulsory stuff added instead.  Minimum ensemble and marching and playing times and actually bring a timing judge in.  THAT OR change the buildup scale to reward corps that provide more judgeable content vs those that do not.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I only remember a couple playing Tiger of San Pedro.  Guardsmen and Crossmen. 

It's funny. When I first thought about Mangione and Drum Corps / Band, the FIRST song that I thought of was Feels So Good. I think I only had to perform it maybe 3 times. But I must have HEARD it 100 times in the early to mid-80's. 

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

It would be fascinating to see what everyone's take would be.  I would rather see compulsory stuff added instead.  Minimum ensemble and marching and playing times and actually bring a timing judge in.  THAT OR change the buildup scale to reward corps that provide more judgeable content vs those that do not.

This.  At one point figure skating (daughter used to do this) had a list of mandatory things that were required in the performance.  IDK what the technical terms are, but the foot the jumps start and land on determine what kind it is.   You had to have X numbers of these or your score would take a hit.  But how you worked them in was up to you. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This.  At one point figure skating (daughter used to do this) had a list of mandatory things that were required in the performance.  IDK what the technical terms are, but the foot the jumps start and land on determine what kind it is.   You had to have X numbers of these or your score would take a hit.  But how you worked them in was up to you. 

Great. This would be BD's kill on the competition. And you guys don't see this at all.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dureau said:

My thought is that BD would have to put together a show where the theme is really visibly recognizable by the judges. Yes

The Blue Devils ‘formula’ is to be super-strong in all captions & subcaptions.  Even if they lose a caption, they are usually in a very close second place.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, combia1 said:

What if DCI tried an experiment for one year. A mandated show theme that all corps must interpret. Kind of like they do with floats in the Rose Parade.

I would love to see how all corps would interpret a common topic. What risks? Many units might sound and look similar. 

Thoughts?

Kind of like what the Rose Parade does ?

Build what you want and then explain how you think it  fits the theme ?

• Haha 1