Today I met a Blue Devil...

Today I talked with the music teacher at my high school (I an currently not in the music program, i'm pursuing film) because I saw a marching band poster on his door. I've been thinking about trying to start a DCI fan club at my school and wanted to ask him if he had any students that were into it. He told me he was in BD in the 90s and I (totally did not) do a little fangirl squeal. He told me about our school's band program, which is a just-for-fun extracurricular that meets a couple days a week. I'm so glad to be at a new school where I can leave it all behind and enjoy music without all the pressure. Next year, I might return to the marching arts!!!

• Like 3

November 2014, I stopped at the local pizza hut on my way home from the base, was getting set to leave, and this car zoomed into a parking space across from me. The plate holder said "DCI World Champion Blue Devils." 

So naturally I had to ask the kid who was driving if he marched there. Turned out he was a current trumpet player for BD and had been in the BD program since 2006 starting with BDC, then onto BDB, then moved up to the A Corps in 2013, and was apart of the record shattering Felliniesque show a few months prior. He was aging out with BD in 2015. He worked at the pizza hut as a delivery driver and was going to college at UC Riverside. 

Not going to lie, I felt like I was talking to royalty knowing this kid was part of that 40-trumpet fanfare in the Fellini opener, and just the show in general which is hands-down the greatest on field performance I have ever seen live.

Although I never saw him again, I was super happy he aged out in 2015 with the "INK" show and back-to-back titles. not to mention a silver medal in 2013 and gold medals with BDB in 2010-2011. 

Funny note..............I asked him about how awesome Brandon Olander was, he said when he first saw Brandon (who was 16 at the time), he thought he was a BDC kid who got lost and wandered over to the A corps LMAO. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2