Queen Elizabeth II Funeral Pomp & Circumstance

15 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Big day tomorrow.  Someone remind all the British soldiers standing at attention for long periods not to lock their knees.  

Oh, darn!  Forgot to remind the police officers.  Doh!

https://www.the-sun.com/news/6253019/police-officer-faints-queens-funeral/

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Oh, darn!  Forgot to remind the police officers.  Doh!

https://www.the-sun.com/news/6253019/police-officer-faints-queens-funeral/

One of the Gurkhas went down too, but apparently returned after a drink of water.   They don’t come any tougher than a Gurkha.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

One of the Gurkhas went down too, but apparently returned after a drink of water.   They don’t come any tougher than a Gurkha.  

He probably forgot to take his industrial-sized salt pill too. 

At least the British press, from what I've seen, pixilate their faces so they don't have to suffer eternal embarrassment. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

After watching the funeral, it was by the books and very planned out in advance. But comparing this to Princess Diana back some 25 years ago that was much more emotional. Probably because her funeral was not a STATE funeral. And the tragic news of her unexpected death and her two young sons she left behind. What is interesting about Queen Elizabeth 2 if it wasn't for her uncle to resign as King and her dad to take over as King, she would not have been Queen. Lots of drama in this family. 

I have read this several times regarding the succession, but as the Queen’s uncle never had any children, who theoretically might have inherited the throne, it isn’t altogether clear what might have happened had Edward VIII remained on the throne. Certainly your point that Elizabeth at her birth was not expected to become Queen is true.

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lawdn said:

I have read this several times regarding the succession, but as the Queen’s uncle never had any children, who theoretically might have inherited the throne, it isn’t altogether clear what might have happened had Edward VIII remained on the throne. Certainly your point that Elizabeth at her birth was not expected to become Queen is true.

I think it would pass to Elizabeth (or her father were he still alive); as it was The Royal formerly known as Edward XIII outlived his younger brother by 20 years. 

I doubt he would have fathered any children w/ Wallis.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think it would pass to Elizabeth (or her father were he still alive); as it was The Royal formerly known as Edward XIII outlived his younger brother by 20 years. 

I doubt he would have fathered any children w/ Wallis.  

That relationship was all kinds of weird despite literary attempts to romanticize it.  

• Like 2