Queen Elizabeth II Funeral Pomp & Circumstance

On 9/20/2022 at 3:32 AM, wigwam said:

The music in the ceremony was great.  My favorite was the long bugles that played during the first service.  

Yeah, they were good but when the brass dropped in God Save The King... I mean... WOW!!

On 9/19/2022 at 2:38 PM, Terri Schehr said:

Omg. Bless her but that would have taken years off of my life. 

Imagine having perfect pitch and having to listen to that 'ish LOL. Bagpipes have no dynamics and can't change keys. Because of the under/overtones, it's an ear nightmare. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

True story.  A friend of mine who was the head pastor at the Deaf church when I was getting started had perfect pitch.  Which I always thought was ironic, here she is with perfect pitch and musical talent and she opts to serve as pastor of a Deaf church.

One of her sons and his friends start a band in High School and use the basement of their house for practice.  None of them know anything about music as they get started.  

So...was continually tormented by the sounds from the basement at home because not one of them knew what 'playing in tune' meant apparently.   

She's also got synesthesia where she sees very specific colors for various tones. When research came out on that being perhaps tied to perfect pitch she was floored, "You know, I've always associated specific colors when I hear tones and sometimes it's the color being off that tells me the pitch is flat or sharp."  

I've always thought that phenomenon would be a cool idea for a show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KVG_DC said:

She's also got synesthesia where she sees very specific colors for various tones. When research came out on that being perhaps tied to perfect pitch she was floored, "You know, I've always associated specific colors when I hear tones and sometimes it's the color being off that tells me the pitch is flat or sharp."  

I've always thought that phenomenon would be a cool idea for a show.

Have you ever seen a Pink Floyd concert?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was struck by this fact: 

Hearing great choral and instrumental performances is now limited to only the rarest and most formal proceedings.  A huge percentage of people watching the funeral will not hear these things again.

3 minutes ago, troopers1 said:

I was struck by this fact: 

Hearing great choral and instrumental performances is now limited to only the rarest and most formal proceedings.  A huge percentage of people watching the funeral will not hear these things again.

The coronation is coming in the spring/summer (I have seen speculation that it will be Friday, 2 June 2023, which is the 70th anniversary of QEthe2nd's corronation).

This will be a far happier occasion.  And no country does this better than the Brits.

• 2 months later...

As an attempt to mitigate some of the sadness from the last few days, you may enjoy this.  It is the return of the marching & musical units to Wellington Barracks (near Buckingham Palace) after the funeral of Queen Elisabeth II.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
More better English
  • Like 1