Underrated shows

So I'll pick one in my more recent memory that's probably was never talked about in the fandom:  "To the Moon" 2016 BDB. 

I personally think that was the best OC show ever performed, and was the highest OC scored show up until this year that 2022 VC squeaked out a score just a hair above it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

almost all of those were all talked about and never considered underrated.  Underrated are shows outside top 8 

If " outside the top 8 " is the criteria, Boston's 2014 production " ( 10th place ) " Animal Farm " might fit the bill.  Perhaps not given the credit due by some for its sheer edginess, verve, boldness.   u1L2maO.jpeg

• Like 5

Spirit 01 and 02...and 2010

Boston 90 and 91

BD 85

Cavaliers 98 and 99

Bluecoats 2000 and 2001

Crown 03

Cadets 88 

Star 89

Phantom 79

Madison 81, 92

Crossmen 88

i am sure i could come up with dozens more, and yes most are older

• Like 2

It's crazy when threads pop up that talk about underrated shows etc...................BD 2011 has came up quite often over the last several years as a show that gets a lot of love. 

It's just funny cause those of us who was here on DCP back in 2011, that show was seriously bashed, and hated on. 

I remember after the season opening shows in Texas, some people had that show finishing as low as seventh (LMAO)......................and the nuclear explosion that rocked DCP when they took first in Atlanta that year after running past the Cavaliers who undefeated to that point if memory serves me correct.  

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

If " outside the top 8 " is the criteria, Boston's 2014 production " ( 10th place ) " Animal Farm " might fit the bill.  Perhaps not given the credit due by some for its sheer edginess, verve, boldness.   u1L2maO.jpeg

My point being you can't say underrated and follow with top 4 groups. Maybe it wasn't their best show after following others but it's not underrated. This show you mentioned, Blue Stars, crossmen, and some of those 13th place shows. Those are shows that are underrated because they are talked about way less. Glassmen we're the definition of underrated IMO because they consistently made finals but were never talked about until they folded. 

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

The show was discussed quite a bit.  I think it might be more “underscored” than "underrated."  I applaud Boston for the risk they took bringing it to the field.  A tremendously difficult show. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

It's crazy when threads pop up that talk about underrated shows etc...................BD 2011 has came up quite often over the last several years as a show that gets a lot of love. 

It's just funny cause those of us who was here on DCP back in 2011, that show was seriously bashed, and hated on. 

I remember after the season opening shows in Texas, some people had that show finishing as low as seventh (LMAO)......................and the nuclear explosion that rocked DCP when they took first in Atlanta that year after running past the Cavaliers who undefeated to that point if memory serves me correct.  

I don't remember it being bashed over and above the usual.  I love that show!

9 minutes ago, Continental said:

I don't remember it being bashed over and above the usual.  I love that show!

that one was less hated than the 2 years prior and 2 years after

33 minutes ago, Continental said:

The show was discussed quite a bit.  I think it might be more “underscored” than "underrated."  I applaud Boston for the risk they took bringing it to the field.  A tremendously difficult show. 

I remember much of the chatter about this brilliant show being more about the 'message' they were bringing and if the layering they added poured it on too thick.  There was also the triggered chatter about the G7 proposal.   Other chatter was "it's just performed too dirty."   With sometimes recognizing that it was an incredibly hard show and ambitiously pulling those kids a bit too far beyond their performance capabilities.  

But they did not back down or hose it. 

It wasn't until later some of the praise I was lavishing on it started to get echoed more.  The drill is one of the better examples of 'using the drill to tell the story' I can think of.  As dirty as it was, in retrospect, this seem the begining of the BAC guard aesthetic and swagger that has been returned to for their Zingali's.  I know the staff has changed but there's a spirit here that echoes what we've seen from the guard the past two competitive years.  I'll never forget when they led them onto the field during retreat doing that super creepy herd of uncontrolled animals movement gait thing.  The expression on some of the corps next to them as they came on was classic shock and awe.  

The music arranging was no easy feat too and did many ambitious and effective things.  The super aggressive opening, the SOLO that opens the ballad, she nailed the emotion shift all year, the long sustains with subtle melody rippling underneath it in the ballad, the pathos of the ballad hit when they raise the human pyramid windmill.  Playing Conquest in a minor key and making it eerie and creepy.  It was Angry Boston and it was good.

I loved this show from the moment I saw it live in Ft. Wayne.  

• Like 1