Underrated shows

52 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

The whole show was wonderful.

That opener, the ballad, and that Stravinsky ending makes the show fly by, and it’s over before you know it. I forgot how much I love that show!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

Dance-able? Just asking….for a friend.

I don't really think there's a word to explain it, or if other people even feel this. Here's how it goes:

You're at a show, watching in the stands (or just on youtube). You might just be calmly sitting down. Maybe it's the brass. Maybe it's the drumline. Maybe it's the pit. But something, somewhere, kickstarts this little internal metronome in your head. You might not even notice it at first. But the little metronome sneaks up on you. You might start bopping your head along to the music or tapping your finger on your chair. And you can just end it there, if you wanted to. But sometimes you won't be able to. Your subtle head bopping might become more obvious. You may find yourself getting more into the music like one would do for, say, rock music.

And then there just comes that moment.

When the music just shakes you to your very core. When the brass plays in unison and for a second, you just forget everything. You're just surrounded by music. Your heartbeat may even be in rhythm with the drumline. And there's a couple responses to this, and that's okay. You may sit there, mesmerized and hypnotized by what's in front of or around you. Or you can just succumb to that little metronome. You let the corps do the playing, and your body just follows along.

That's what I love about DCI.

24 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

American Bandstand vibes here.  

Had to look this one up, was scared it was going to be another one of those hard-to-sit-through (well, for me at least) patriotic DCI shows but was pleasantly surprised to find it was just people dancing to live music

Just looked at Cadets 2019 after seeing lots of hate for it on YouTube. All I can say right now is WOW. This is Orwellian Wiress certified dance-able DCI content

8 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I don't really think there's a word to explain it, or if other people even feel this. Here's how it goes:

You're at a show, watching in the stands (or just on youtube). You might just be calmly sitting down. Maybe it's the brass. Maybe it's the drumline. Maybe it's the pit. But something, somewhere, kickstarts this little internal metronome in your head. You might not even notice it at first. But the little metronome sneaks up on you. You might start bopping your head along to the music or tapping your finger on your chair. And you can just end it there, if you wanted to. But sometimes you won't be able to. Your subtle head bopping might become more obvious. You may find yourself getting more into the music like one would do for, say, rock music.

And then there just comes that moment.

When the music just shakes you to your very core. When the brass plays in unison and for a second, you just forget everything. You're just surrounded by music. Your heartbeat may even be in rhythm with the drumline. And there's a couple responses to this, and that's okay. You may sit there, mesmerized and hypnotized by what's in front of or around you. Or you can just succumb to that little metronome. You let the corps do the playing, and your body just follows along.

That's what I love about DCI.

Music, the tie that binds us all.

2009 Cavaliers is also a program that sticks out in my mind as an under appreciated show. I thoroughly enjoy the treatment of each individual musical piece, and they all fit together beautifully. The Engulfed Cathedral is one of my favorite ballads. I love how it builds to the big statement.

Listening to that show just makes me feel…refreshed.

Honestly, 2009 was a banger of a year for drum corps to me.

Edited by jaylogan
  • Like 1

1985 Phantom Regiment - Symphonie Fantastique

Edited by Kopeck
  • Like 5

On 9/13/2022 at 12:20 AM, supersop said:

1988 SUNCOAST SOUND!!!!!!!  Probably wins this thread

84-86 Suncoast Sound

1988 Star - their first serious serious attempt at being great

1990 Boston

1988 VK - am I the only one who thinks this?

98-99 Glassmen

99 BK ---- weren't they 5th in semis?

1987-1990 Northern Aurora and a dozen other Class A corps that were darn good at that time.

I still stand by this...

4 hours ago, jaylogan said:

2009 Cavaliers is also a program that sticks out in my mind as an under appreciated show. I thoroughly enjoy the treatment of each individual musical piece, and they all fit together beautifully. The Engulfed Cathedral is one of my favorite ballads. I love how it builds to the big statement.

Listening to that show just makes me feel…refreshed.

Honestly, 2009 was a banger of a year for drum corps to me.

That show music arrangement was so dry; I couldn't stand those Drew Shanefield arrangements, and Drew has put out good stuff in his drumcorps career.

I kept feeling that something was missing every time I saw the show. That was also, when people started complaining about their brass approach in earnest and helped lead to 2012...  No, I'm not a huge fan of that show at all.

• Confused 1