Underrated shows

On 9/11/2022 at 1:23 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

What are some really good DCI shows that you don't think get talked about enough in the fandom?

- Pardon my caps lock but THE BEAT MY HEART SKIPPED. This is one of the few DCI shows on Spotify so obviously this is in heavy rotation for me. It's practically a meme now with me saying that House Is Not A Home is my theme song. For all the conversations about BD, this is the one show I almost never hear anyone talk about. 

- Jagged Line. I don't know why but a lot of people seem to dislike this show. Psychopomp is my quintessential "yeah I dance to DCI" song. I honestly think the prop and costume combo is really cool and I like the homage to A Clockwork Orange.

- The Heart. I heard some people trash-talking it on a podcast so out of morbid curiosity I had to go watch it to see how bad it really was. I actually really enjoyed it! Really unique and creative imagery

- Juliet. Other than Spartacus and Harmonic Journey, this is the only 2000s PR show that really stands out to me (i'm so sorry phans😢). Love the combination of loud, ceremonial music and actors (one of my favorite things to see in DCI)

- Wicked Games. Horror + DCI = one happy Orwellian Wiress. It's beautiful how Boston tied in their history to the show theme and wove in a deep message that many need to hear. I'll be the first to admit- as a goth, my eyes got watery seeing the pentagram for the first time. Extremely courageous of the BAC design staff. 

- Session 44. From the Bloo fans I've seen and interacted with, a lot of people seem to give this the honor of being one of their most forgettable shows. I quite like the props and costumes, and the "Bless The Child" solo gets stuck in my head often.

- Re:Rite of Spring. Again, BD is in the general conversation of the fandom so much but I never hear about this. I absolutely give them credit for taking a single piece of classical music and translating it into different styles like rock and jazz, while still sounding like drum corps.

Jagged Line is absolutely spectacular and undeservedly doesnt get enough love. it is so good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1998 Cavies is another I just though of.  4th, but not super talked about even back then.  They did the Sparke pieces "For the Brass" and "For the Woodwinds" which was the 2nd time I heard Sparke on the field after the Cadets did Celebration in 97.  I remember loving those two pieces, and tried to find a cd that had a concert recording of them (bitd, it was harder since napster was just getting started, i think?). The closer was very cool, too iirc.  Going to fire that one up when I get home today.  

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

Jagged Line is absolutely spectacular and undeservedly doesnt get enough love. it is so good. 

A million times this.  It's pure adrenaline on the field, and it has one of the best battery books ever put together (I went back for fun and learned to play it - it's amazing!).

Mike

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lance said:

1998 Cavies is another I just though of.  4th, but not super talked about even back then.  They did the Sparke pieces "For the Brass" and "For the Woodwinds" which was the 2nd time I heard Sparke on the field after the Cadets did Celebration in 97.  I remember loving those two pieces, and tried to find a cd that had a concert recording of them (bitd, it was harder since napster was just getting started, i think?). The closer was very cool, too iirc.  Going to fire that one up when I get home today.  

The guard in the corps unis to start is a neat look (Madison did it that year as well, IIRC), and the closer with everyone on cymbals is flippin' awesome.  Got to see it live - I'm so glad I did.  The build up to the abrupt end created a neat moment of silence before everyone cheered.

Mike

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lance said:

For my money, best Cavies ballad.

On 9/12/2022 at 8:35 PM, Jeff Ream said:

loved 84. loved another 84 show a smidge better LOL.

but 85 was BD trying slightly different things, and it doesnt get the love it should. also truly brought Metheny to the DCI stage

To be fair....EVERYONE was trying something new in 85!

Blue Stars 2010-2011 

Two of my favorites from the last decade.

2010 Houdini is aggressive, loud, and full of moments that I love in drums corps. Should have been a Top 6 show that year, in my opinion. 

2011 with music from the Bourne Identity and Matrix. 
Carrying over the aggressive percussion from the year before, there is an added  groove in the Bourne Identity themes. Brass is solid, carrying over the sound from the prior year. 

2011 makes me wonder if Blue Stars could reboot this show, with a modern twist. With electronics  and their over the top props and guard…This could be fantastic.

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 1