Meanwhile, on the left coast

Is there an official reason for the right foot step off for the Cadets?   I mean, it's the source of a million memes at this point.  My favorite being, "Mom always said start each day on the right foot and it will go well."  "YOUR MOM MARCHED CADETS!"

But I'm not sure if it's just a corps identity thing or if there was some historic reason for adopting that. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

But I'm not sure if it's just a corps identity thing or if there was some historic reason for adopting that. 

Not to deviate from the OP - GREAT NEWS ABOUT CASCADES - but I'd heard that the Marc Sylvester caption group wanted students to unlearn everything they'd learned before about marching and to learn the Cadets way. To ensure this, they took it a step (no pun intended) further by stepping off with the right foot.

In one of the (excellent) COVID summer roundtable/interview vids, Sylvester debunked any theory and almost seemed to say it was just an arbitrary convention. 

Whenever I make an allusion to going to lengths to unlearn a convention, I think about the Cadets/right foot theory, debunked or no.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

You live on the east coast of the Pacific Ocean.

I live on the west coast of the Atlantic Ocean.

😎

Before I left for boot camp in 1997, I rarely stepped foot outside of Los Angeles.

The term "back east" to me was going to San Bernardino/Riverside LMAO.

Anything east of Las Vegas was considered east coast to me LMAO.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Is there an official reason for the right foot step off for the Cadets?   I mean, it's the source of a million memes at this point.  My favorite being, "Mom always said start each day on the right foot and it will go well."  "YOUR MOM MARCHED CADETS!"

Hint: Ask a choreographer which foot is usually used to initiate a movement.

Then again, we dinosaurs learned from people like this, starting with the left foot:

Anthropologically speaking, it's all just formalized dance anyway, and I want the Cascades back no matter which foot they choose.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 3