WGI suspends Diamante - abuse investigation

5 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

As an educator, I must agree.  Add to the list Powerschool, Schoology, iNow, etc... I've become a firm believer that all of our school technology, including PowerPoint, are designed to fail.  And then there's the WiFi. 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Sorry about your school corporation IT department. 

• Thanks 1

This is not a fun topic to discuss, but DCI/WGI is more transparent than most other youth-based activities in terms of admitting the problem and taking action against perpetrators. As an RN who works with many abused kids, I can tell you this sort of thing happens in almost every large organization that serves adolescents and young adults. The organizations who don't allow discussion or public disclosure of abuse are the ones creating a haven for the perpetrators.  Sunlight really is the best disinfectant.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2022 at 3:04 PM, mingusmonk said:

I am not a journalist. So in order to prove that my summary is from 1st-hand survivor accounts, I will be posting direct links to their public claims.  I did not want to post these here because of The way we have seen Previous abuse survivors treated over past across the Internet. Their stories are graphic and hard to stomach. Fair warning.

https://www.facebook.com/100007129531310/posts/pfbid02w4DcS9nzktiRVxQfNMPC2MiPHi7c3FuqoGBeMwf9o1dNTHiNwh5LzQmYDpQC8ai5l/

https://www.facebook.com/100008067304235/posts/pfbid02xQ5uotZQXDpxpHTC21aZHcjXbZujT8PuxTffkUodY3MBZ6aqkjZ4QeccXNFNraFil/

=====

If you have survived sexual violence or have concerns about potential survivors and if/when to report or where to start, RAINN is a highly qualified start point. Both in terms of  handling survivor support and logistics of various regional methods and channels. https://www.rainn.org/

One of the posts has been removed but it has been shared via MAASIN. There are additional survivor statements added at  MAASIN as well. 

https://www.maasin.net/blog/statement-on-wgis-suspension-of-diamante

=====

If you have survived sexual violence or have concerns about potential survivors and if/when to report or where to start, RAINN is a highly qualified start point. Both in terms of  handling survivor support and logistics of various regional methods and channels. https://www.rainn.org/

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

One of the posts has been removed but it has been shared via MAASIN. There are additional survivor statements added at  MAASIN as well. 

https://www.maasin.net/blog/statement-on-wgis-suspension-of-diamante

=====

This reporter's story is infuriating.

Grooming signs everywhere but no one stepping up for that person to help make it stop? Sounds like another story I know. Just more "brothers and sisters" from the group trying to convince them to come back every year, grind themselves into more abuse and debt, after they've said no numerous times. After saying no and being dismissed enough times, it really starts to mess with survivors' abilities to funtion in every day life. It can turn one trauma into complex PTSD.

When will this community start listening to those of us that survived abuse in the colorguard section, specifically, and help hold our abusers accountable for, what in many cases, was criminal? I'll keep saying it until then: this section has a particular nastiness and harm that necessitates specific responses and accountability.

SCV, Diamante, Phantom... all have reports from colorguard members coming out all within the last year. The abuse disclosed in two of them also occurred within the last year. As is being said in another thread... what will it take? How much more harm must be endured by innocent, young marchers whose bodies aren't even done growing?

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just want to say WGI process does work and I have seen it in action from start to finish. Independent investigator will contact everyone involved and make sure they get enough feedback to determine if lies or truth to allegations. I've been cautious of the process in the "no retaliation" but they have to investigate everything even if it fell into that field. 

34 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Just want to say WGI process does work and I have seen it in action from start to finish. Independent investigator will contact everyone involved and make sure they get enough feedback to determine if lies or truth to allegations. I've been cautious of the process in the "no retaliation" but they have to investigate everything even if it fell into that field. 

For any reporting system to be effective, the only retaliation should be against a trained adult supervisor NOT reporting an issue they've been trained to detect.  If the org under which the abuse is occurring even has a modicum of belief they get away with retaliating against a reporter, then the system is garbage.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lance said:

For any reporting system to be effective, the only retaliation should be against a trained adult supervisor NOT reporting an issue they've been trained to detect.  If the org under which the abuse is occurring even has a modicum of belief they get away with retaliating against a reporter, then the system is garbage.  

Have you went through an investigation in the activity?

17 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Have you went through an investigation in the activity?

No.  I'm a pubic educator and have seen a version of the mandatory reporting process in action, though.  The thing that makes it work (or at least work better than previous ways of dealing with abuse) is (1) people who have been trained as mandatory reporters can get in significant legal trouble if they don't report abuse they've been trained to look out for under their watch and (2) retaliation against the reporter is 100% illegal with significant consequences if it's done.  

It doesn't remove all judgment on the part of the reporter, but it does severely reduce whether or not supervisors can choose to overlook issues that they "don't want to get involved" or fear reprisal. 

Your comment about being cautious about "no retaliation" is a red alert to me regarding the effectiveness of WGI's system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Lance said:

No.  I'm a pubic educator and have seen a version of the mandatory reporting process in action, though.  The thing that makes it work (or at least work better than previous ways of dealing with abuse) is (1) people who have been trained as mandatory reporters can get in significant legal trouble if they don't report abuse they've been trained to look out for under their watch and (2) retaliation against the reporter is 100% illegal with significant consequences if it's done.  

It doesn't remove all judgment on the part of the reporter, but it does severely reduce whether or not supervisors can choose to overlook issues that they "don't want to get involved" or fear reprisal. 

Your comment about being cautious about "no retaliation" is a red alert to me regarding the effectiveness of WGI's system.

Checking in to affirm your whole comment. I've acted as a mandated reporter for a minor in a youth arts nonprofit setting (not corps or winter guard/drumline). My understanding is that all adults are mandated reporters if abuse is disclosed to them and can be held legally responsible for not taking proper action whether they are trained or not. If they're trained, then heck yeah, major repercussions.

• Like 1

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

Checking in to affirm your whole comment. I've acted as a mandated reporter for a minor in a youth arts nonprofit setting (not corps or winter guard/drumline). My understanding is that all adults are mandated reporters if abuse is disclosed to them and can be held legally responsible for not taking proper action whether they are trained or not. If they're trained, then heck yeah, major repercussions.

I've found that "mandated reporter" can mean a lot of different things.  I was talking about the system of mandatory reporting that I work under.  We're required to report things we've been trained on along with taking any student-reported incidents to our supervisors.  For instance, we learn what some of the telling signs are of physical abuse, how they react physically when you do something routine like get shoulder to shoulder with them to go over answers on a paper or computer screen.  Lots more, of course.  

• Thanks 1