WGI suspends Diamante - abuse investigation

22 minutes ago, NewToPosting said:

Understood. For legal reasons, I'm not going to post that (I know for a fact what this person did and its impact on at least a few people). As slimy as that person is, they are innocent until proven guilty. 

Apart from naming them online (which I'm not going to do, and neither are his victims), what are the options? He's being kept hush-hush, which isn't helping.

You and/or the survivors could consult privately with MAASIN. Advice on this path is a big part of why they exist. 

https://www.maasin.net/whistleblower-support

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

You and/or the survivors could consult privately with MAASIN. Advice on this path is a big part of why they exist.

https://www.maasin.net/whistleblower-support

Came here to say the same. I've gotten lots of mixed signals about MAASIN from reporters and survivors so go in with limited expectations. I had an excellent experience with them and even if action items are limited when you talk to them, I still believe its crucial to have documentation of these abusers in relatively trustworthy hands (many MAASIN folks also work within DCI for justifiable reasons; but this makes things complicated.)

I have had newthoughts on naming names lately, but this was based on unsolicited advice on reddit, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. It did bring up some things I would love the hivemind's eyes on because I also feel deeply compelled to name names too. I won't, but I feel compelled to and wish I could speak to the dangers more accurately than I can currently.

I'll update later after the long day ahead.

@NewToPosting, your instinct is right. Sitting on names of abusers is tough. Know that you aren't alone. I highly recommend MAASIN first, then, possibly, police in the jurisdiction of the occurrence of the violation would be my next step if you have that info, but I am not a lawyer. As a potential whistleblower, update your personal cybersecurity efforts and trust no one on the internet. Including us. Especially not without a lawyer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewToPosting said:

WGI knows EXACTLY who he is and what he did. Still around. What's the recourse? Should I inform the police? Inform the school district? How can we get people like him out of the activity and KEEP them out?

Yes, do both of those things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

A few weeks back, Spirit announced a new guard designer who had been implicated in previous WGI investigations. Next day, he was removed from the announcement.

I brought it up in the staff announcements thread, but everyone acted like I was crazy.

Another example of a heinous emotional and sexual abuser flying under the radar. That guy still runs a high school colorguard that competes in BOA and WGI...and again, has been named in complaints to WGI. 

WGI knows EXACTLY who he is and what he did. Still around. What's the recourse? Should I inform the police? Inform the school district? How can we get people like him out of the activity and KEEP them out?

does WGI announce investigations or wait til resolved?

this is again where the inbred aspects of the activity should mean the word gets spread circuit to circuit. may be trickier dealing with schools

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

A few weeks back, Spirit announced a new guard designer who had been implicated in previous WGI investigations. Next day, he was removed from the announcement.

I brought it up in the staff announcements thread, but everyone acted like I was crazy.

Another example of a heinous emotional and sexual abuser flying under the radar. That guy still runs a high school colorguard that competes in BOA and WGI...and again, has been named in complaints to WGI. 

If we have people like this STILL flying under the radar there is no way to trust WGI, the reporting process or ways groups check the list of people who should NOT be hired.

My question is how did Spirit not know?

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

does WGI announce investigations or wait til resolved?

this is again where the inbred aspects of the activity should mean the word gets spread circuit to circuit. may be trickier dealing with schools

There's (at least) 2 scenarios:

1- both the staff member and student are of age (in the case I brought up, the people directly involved were over 21).

2- The staff member is of age, but the student is UNDER 18.

In the second scenario, I know that WGI is incredibly "by the book" w/r/t contacting police, investigating, etc. I happen to know that they also alert at least local circuits to warn them not to allow those people to participate (if the investigation yielded certain results and there was a *crime* committed).

The first scenario is one with a LOT of grey area. So, even though this person falls under Scenario 1, this happened with over-age members. Even though there was DEFINITELY inappropriate behavior and "punishments" for non-compliance of sexual requests that affected under-age members, a police investigation would only get so far (I think?).

I'm not sure that Spirit would have known unless they contacted all staff of previous orgs (which is not feasible - this wouldn't have come up in a typical background check). From my understanding, they rectified the situation immediately once they were made aware. I'm not trying to call Spirit out - I think they did and are doing the right thing. 

Regardless, I'm going to contact MAASIN. I'm also unsure what they'd be able to do.

I appreciate everyone's thoughtful comments and dialogue!

3 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

I think the victims/survivors should call the police first.  That’s what my mother did.   I don’t think you calling the police is going to carry much weight, tbh.  It has to be them or their parent.  

Remember the Tiger mom on “Cheer”?   She went through SafeSport first and they didn’t do ####.  Then, she went to the FBI. Now, that Jerry creeper is in prison. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NewToPosting said:

There's (at least) 2 scenarios:

1- both the staff member and student are of age (in the case I brought up, the people directly involved were over 21).

2- The staff member is of age, but the student is UNDER 18.

In the second scenario, I know that WGI is incredibly "by the book" w/r/t contacting police, investigating, etc. I happen to know that they also alert at least local circuits to warn them not to allow those people to participate (if the investigation yielded certain results and there was a *crime* committed).

The first scenario is one with a LOT of grey area. So, even though this person falls under Scenario 1, this happened with over-age members. Even though there was DEFINITELY inappropriate behavior and "punishments" for non-compliance of sexual requests that affected under-age members, a police investigation would only get so far (I think?).

I'm not sure that Spirit would have known unless they contacted all staff of previous orgs (which is not feasible - this wouldn't have come up in a typical background check). From my understanding, they rectified the situation immediately once they were made aware. I'm not trying to call Spirit out - I think they did and are doing the right thing. 

Regardless, I'm going to contact MAASIN. I'm also unsure what they'd be able to do.

I appreciate everyone's thoughtful comments and dialogue!

My opinion:

Scenario one:

Call the police.

If they can't help, call a lawyer.

Even if they can help, call a lawyer

Scenario 2:

Have the victim's parents call the police.

Then call a lawyer.

As has been pointed out numerous times, the activity is incestuous.

Until victims start going after the offenders ,directly  criminally and/or civilly, nothing is going to change.

As far as MAASIN, as far as I know they don't have any legal authority to do anything.

I don't know if they've ever even got an abuser arrested.

I don't know if they even have a lawyer on staff.

If I'm a victim I go through legal channels first.

I don't "post" anything ,unless I clear it with my lawyer ,first.

And before anyone asks, I did come close to being the victim of a sexual abuser.

I caught on in time, and  nothing happened.

I tried to report the guy to the police, but I only had a first name.

I kept going back to  the athletic field where the incident happened to try and get his license plate number.

But, he never came back.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

My opinion:

Scenario one:

Call the police.

If they can't help, call a lawyer.

Even if they can help, call a lawyer

Scenario 2:

Have the victim's parents call the police.

Then call a lawyer.

As has been pointed out numerous times, the activity is incestuous.

Until victims start going after the offenders ,directly  criminally and/or civilly, nothing is going to change.

As far as MAASIN, as far as I know they don't have any legal authority to do anything.

I don't know if they've ever even got an abuser arrested.

I don't know if they even have a lawyer on staff.

If I'm a victim I go through legal channels first.

I don't "post" anything ,unless I clear it with my lawyer ,first.

And before anyone asks, I did come close to being the victim of a sexual abuser.

I caught on in time, and  nothing happened.

I tried to report the guy to the police, but I only had a first name.

I kept going back to  the athletic field where the incident happened to try and get his license plate number.

But, he never came back.

Luckily for me, I got a license plate number and the make of vehicle .  Plus, the creeper lived two blocks away from my house so I’d seen his car around.  The police found his sorry ### really  quickly. 

Ditto on the lawyer.  Trusting the judge and hearing to be fair is foolhardy.  Get your own representation.  They’re not always on your side.  Get someone who is on your side. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1