I'm a little nervous to say this but...

Pfff, you don't have to validate why you don't like something. If you're curious about why others like it, that's one thing.

But insulting you for your not liking something and not trying to make yourself like it is silly.

Some folks don't understand "no thanks" without responding "WHY NOT?!" Sometimes the easiest response is "just because."

Edit to add: Sutasaurus, I'm just not that into you. Please stop reacting to me and ignore me already.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I'll say too that unless you were around for 2000 or earlier (or so,) it can be REALLY hard to catch onto the raw power of those shows when viewing dated footage shot with the equipment of the time that's been pumped through this weird internet thingy. A LOT is lost in translation. I love many movies from the mid to late 20th century but often the pacing challenges me, for example.

Imagine seeing your first show after only seeing broadcasts. Then imagine the broadcasts you watched were copies of copies of copies. Each of these drum corps experiences are wildly different.

Nothing can take a person back in time, or help them see through the static... let alone translate these shows' relevance to their times and to the development of the industry. Not without lectures anyway. And who needs that?

I'd go to that lecture but I can't expect others to want to.

I will say, there is something to be said for having your face pushed back by a *^&#%@ ton of G-Brass. It's all about moments, right? Things that stick out in your mind and you can hear in perfect pitch and in perfect time 30+ years later. That opening hit in 1987 with Cadets and Appalachian Spring, the cross to cross in 1991 Star of Indiana, 1986 BD with that opening lick of Channel One Suite...I could go on and on. 

Now, if I go back and listen to the stuff from the 1970's, do I get that same giddy vibe and emotional response that I do to shows that I saw live (sometimes over and over because I was on tour?) No. Because they were not "MY" experience. The key is that I appreciate them for what they are and what they were. I don't set my expectations of shows from earlier generations at running around a field at 180 BPM hair on fire doing ankle breaker drill. I take the shows for the greatness they were for that time. Musically, very comparable. Drill wise, not at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

i... have? i've listened to a lot of the shows i've been sent and i say nothing because i don't want to hurt people's feelings.

You don't have to say anything LOL. Music strikes different people in different ways. I am not a fan of 90% of jazz. It sounds to me like someone took a really good blues band and threw it down a flight of stairs. Does that make it bad? No. Do I have to explain why I don't like it? No. We don't OWE anyone emotional or mental space regarding taste in music. Be your own cat and vibe on the *&^%& that makes you happy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I will say, there is something to be said for having your face pushed back by a *^&#%@ ton of G-Brass.

Um, yes, aaaand military-style forms are the first thing I learned on weapon. Our technique was still firmly grounded in old-school parades and exercises and we would parade in the street to each football game. I geek OUT on that stuff. When the Marine's guard performed in the rain this year I just melted into a puddle. 😍🤩🤣

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

When the Marine's guard performed in the rain this year I just melted into a puddle. 😍🤩🤣

Oh my god, just hearing "performed in the rain" gives me high school band flashbacks🤣 Whoever invents waterproof marching shoes or waterproof football turf deserves a Nobel prize

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Didn’t say it has to be liked. But just outright saying “I don’t like it” without even giving it a try is plain ignorance 

It was insinuated, especially when you throw out "ignorance". Your intentions shown through. And who's to say they didn't give it a try? Assumptions get you nowhere.

19 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Didn’t say it has to be liked. But just outright saying “I don’t like it” without even giving it a try is plain ignorance 

why do you assume that they never gave it a try. now THAT is pretty ignorant. anyways, i agree with Orwellian here; modern DCI is just more engaging and fun than older stuff. doesn't mean the old stuff's not any good, it is, but it's just not as fun and engaging as more modern stuff, and that's okay.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ZTWright said:

It was insinuated, especially when you throw out "ignorance". Your intentions shown through. And who's to say they didn't give it a try? Assumptions get you nowhere.

As I said, shows from those eras are not homogenous. Shows in this era are not homogenous. Listening to a few shows from one era here and there does not represent a full decade of shows. Just because OP has watched, say, 10 shows from those eras doesn’t mean that there won’t be other shows from that era that they might enjoy. Writing it off completely is silly. It’s like trying waffle fries and crinkle cut fries, disliking them, and subsequently refusing to try something like curly fries or potato wedges. Sure, you may end up disliking those too, but why deprive yourself of the experience? What’s there to lose? 

4 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

why do you assume that they never gave it a try. now THAT is pretty ignorant. anyways, i agree with Orwellian here; modern DCI is just more engaging and fun than older stuff. doesn't mean the old stuff's not any good, it is, but it's just not as fun and engaging as more modern stuff, and that's okay.

I personally prefer the modern stuff too. I only discovered drum corps 10 years ago and am still in my 20s. But I’m not going to put out an announcement on DCP telling people to not suggest older shows to me because that would be ignorant and close minded. I would love for people to share things I haven’t been properly exposed to so I can see for myself whether I enjoy that particular show or not. Surely you don’t enjoy EVERY single modern DCI show, right? That’s because they aren’t homogenous. And neither are the shows from the 80s or 90s. That’s my point. And I’m sure there’s some people out there who find stuff from those older eras significantly more engaging than the modern stuff. I’m sure there’s very much a logical explanation for it beyond familiarity bias: younger people have shorter attention spans and the choppy arrangement of the modern era are much more appealing as it doesn’t require them to have to pay attention to long drawn out melodies. Nothing wrong with that, it just is. 

Again, there’s no expectation to like it. But to completely write it off is ignorance. To make a self serving post on DCP to tell people to stop sending them shows is silliness. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

In 1985, VK played Chimes Festival. My High School band played it the next year. So even back in the 80's, good HS band programs were copying DCI LOL. 

High school bands were copying Drum Corps as far back as the early-mid seventies.  I saw the Bottle Dance & Kingsmen 1973 OTL guard work by two band in the same district in CA. 

I remember rolling my eyes at the time, but it was actually a compliment. 

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

As I said, shows from those eras are not homogenous. Shows in this era are not homogenous. Listening to a few shows from one era here and there does not represent a full decade of shows. Just because OP has watched, say, 10 shows from those eras doesn’t mean that there won’t be other shows from that era that they might enjoy. Writing it off completely is silly. It’s like trying waffle fries and crinkle cut fries, disliking them, and subsequently refusing to try something like curly fries or potato wedges. Sure, you may end up disliking those too, but why deprive yourself of the experience? What’s there to lose? 

I personally prefer the modern stuff too. I only discovered drum corps 10 years ago and am still in my 20s. But I’m not going to put out an announcement on DCP telling people to not suggest older shows to me because that would be ignorant and close minded. I would love for people to share things I haven’t been properly exposed to so I can see for myself whether I enjoy that particular show or not. Surely you don’t enjoy EVERY single modern DCI show, right? That’s because they aren’t homogenous. And neither are the shows from the 80s or 90s. That’s my point. And I’m sure there’s some people out there who find stuff from those older eras significantly more engaging than the modern stuff. I’m sure there’s very much a logical explanation for it beyond familiarity bias: younger people have shorter attention spans and the choppy arrangement of the modern era are much more appealing as it doesn’t require them to have to pay attention to long drawn out melodies. Nothing wrong with that, it just is. 

Again, there’s no expectation to like it. But to completely write it off is ignorance. To make a self serving post on DCP to tell people to stop sending them shows is silliness. 

I don't like anything prior to 85, so I guess I'm grouped with Wiress too. Oh well, doesn't hurt my feelings any. 

Oh, and any form of potato is okay with me.

• Thanks 1