Jump to content

I'm a little nervous to say this but...


Recommended Posts

On 9/14/2022 at 6:26 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

I notice on a lot of my posts, I get a lot of links to videos of older shows usually with something along the lines of "you should listen to this" or "time for a history lesson". I'm not saying you aren't allowed or shouldn't do that, but just hear me out.

Whenever people link me shows like that, I don't really respond back. Why? Because I don't want to offend everyone just by saying something like "meh, it's okay". I'm not saying classic DCI is bad, I'm saying it's not really my thing. I just.. for lack of a better word, really vibe with modern DCI music. There's just something magical about it that I can't explain. And it kind of annoys me when I get a ton of people trying to "fix" my music tastes. Just because you show me some older stuff won't instantly make me change everything about what I love. 
 

So in conclusion, I like what I like. I might find a few older shows here and there that I do like, but please don't keep trying to make me change what I love about DCI. It just doesn't work that way.

Respectfully and sincerely,

a synth kid.

During the covid restrictions that kept the music ensembles from functioning normally, I exposed my students to some things that they otherwise wouldn't encounter.  One day was drumcorps day...  I showed them BD 1999 and BD 2014 back to back.  I asked them what their favorite program was and why.  The results (among 50 HS students) was split right down the middle.  Each group preferred their choice because of the way that the design resonated with them.  The 99 camp liked that it was concise and clean.  The 14 camp found the show complex and entertaining.  When I asked which one seemed more difficult, nobody could weigh the 2 against each other in that way.

I was surprised at how balanced the opinions were among students that really have had no exposure to the activity before.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the end of the day, it is about understanding the past and the present to see how it all connects.  Certain iconic moves are still effective on their own, but when one realizes the history of such classic moves or music, etc., then it strikes a more poignant chord.  Because one realizes all of the past performers who may have done a version of the exact same thing.  And without recognizing the past, it is impossible to fully appreciate the present.  (See Cadets Z-pull and dissolving CF, Phantom chevron with leg kicks, BAC Conquest, BD wings, etc. ) I learned soooo much when I watched the Legacy collection from 1972 through 1999. So many things make so much more sense,  and my first DCI show was in 1988.  Noone is trying to convince you to feel one way or another.  But, it is about appreciating the activity from its roots to the present.  And even if you feel "meh" about something, that's fine.  Just try to get whatever you can from the experience.  

There are no requirements for drum corps appreciation.  We all like what we like.  

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Tony L. said:

At the end of the day, it is about understanding the past and the present to see how it all connects.  Certain iconic moves are still effective on their own, but when one realizes the history of such classic moves or music, etc., then it strikes a more poignant chord.  Because one realizes all of the past performers who may have done a version of the exact same thing.  And without recognizing the past, it is impossible to fully appreciate the present.  (See Cadets Z-pull and dissolving CF, Phantom chevron with leg kicks, BAC Conquest, BD wings, etc. ) I learned soooo much when I watched the Legacy collection from 1972 through 1999. So many things make so much more sense,  and my first DCI show was in 1988.  Noone is trying to convince you to feel one way or another.  But, it is about appreciating the activity from its roots to the present.  And even if you feel "meh" about something, that's fine.  Just try to get whatever you can from the experience.  

There are no requirements for drum corps appreciation.  We all like what we like.  

But, seriously you have to go to a LIVE show to get the full experience.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2022 at 6:26 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

I notice on a lot of my posts, I get a lot of links to videos of older shows usually with something along the lines of "you should listen to this" or "time for a history lesson". I'm not saying you aren't allowed or shouldn't do that, but just hear me out.

Whenever people link me shows like that, I don't really respond back. Why? Because I don't want to offend everyone just by saying something like "meh, it's okay". I'm not saying classic DCI is bad, I'm saying it's not really my thing. I just.. for lack of a better word, really vibe with modern DCI music. There's just something magical about it that I can't explain. And it kind of annoys me when I get a ton of people trying to "fix" my music tastes. Just because you show me some older stuff won't instantly make me change everything about what I love. 
 

So in conclusion, I like what I like. I might find a few older shows here and there that I do like, but please don't keep trying to make me change what I love about DCI. It just doesn't work that way.

Respectfully and sincerely,

a synth kid.

I suspect I am one of the dinosaurs you aimed this at, and am guilty as charged..

IMHO, it is important to keep alive the history of the activity. 

But, you don't have to agree with me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2022 at 6:26 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

I notice on a lot of my posts, I get a lot of links to videos of older shows usually with something along the lines of "you should listen to this" or "time for a history lesson". I'm not saying you aren't allowed or shouldn't do that, but just hear me out.

Whenever people link me shows like that, I don't really respond back. Why? Because I don't want to offend everyone just by saying something like "meh, it's okay". I'm not saying classic DCI is bad, I'm saying it's not really my thing. I just.. for lack of a better word, really vibe with modern DCI music. There's just something magical about it that I can't explain. And it kind of annoys me when I get a ton of people trying to "fix" my music tastes. Just because you show me some older stuff won't instantly make me change everything about what I love. 
 

So in conclusion, I like what I like. I might find a few older shows here and there that I do like, but please don't keep trying to make me change what I love about DCI. It just doesn't work that way.

Respectfully and sincerely,

a synth kid.

Every generation has something to offer. Modern Drum Corps would not be here if it weren't for the past. Performance art evolves over time and what you like is simply what you like. One thing to note is that one day, you'll be on the other side of the mirror talking about drum corps of the 2020's and having people say "Meh....it's ok but it's not really my bag." And again, that's OK. 

I am not privy to any private messages that you may get, but most of what I see is people in the threads are simply people trying to share what THEY grew up with and try to maybe expand your musical vocabulary. Does that mean that your tastes are flawed. Of course not! You're your own cat with your own tastes and that's cool. Tastes also change with time and exposure and some different "generations" of drum corps literature may connect with you at some point in unexpected ways. 

Music, for most, is an emotional journey. What connects emotionally is yours and yours alone. I can say "Man listen to 2010 PR and tell me that it isn't one of the most beautiful shows you've seen." But that's MY emotion...MY mirror. You are your own cat. Be proud of that and continue to be respectful of the work that goes into the generations of music which came before your chosen time frames. That's all anyone can ever ask of a fan. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoy discussions that make room for everyone to freely express what they like and don't like about art and education in this industry.

If someone disagrees with me not liking something that's weird. But if I can say why I didn't like something and they're generous to offer another perspective? Boom. That can be just plain fun. Even if it didn't spark my interest, I try to distinguish why so I can understand what they see that I don't.

This is, in fact, how my partner turned the tide on BD for me. He knows I prefer esoteric art pieces... recalled a show he loved... and then showed me 2000. It changed my whole perspective on them. One might imagine why I was resistant... despite my ongoing respect for our friends across the bay.  🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

This is, in fact, how my partner turned the tide on BD for me. He knows I prefer esoteric art pieces... recalled a show he loved... and then showed me 2000. It changed my whole perspective on them. One might imagine why I was resistant... despite my ongoing respect for our friends across the bay.

See that's so neat! I went the other way. My partner never knew ANYTHING about drum corps. She was a cheerleader and 20 years younger than I am. I took her to her first drum corps in 2018 and she absolutely loved it. Now, she doesn't necessarily like some of the avant-garde stuff but what she DID dig was anything familiar. Hearing her say "Oh that's insert-artist-x" was a really cool thing to watch. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

See that's so neat! I went the other way. My partner never knew ANYTHING about drum corps. She was a cheerleader and 20 years younger than I am. I took her to her first drum corps in 2018 and she absolutely loved it. Now, she doesn't necessarily like some of the avant-garde stuff but what she DID dig was anything familiar. Hearing her say "Oh that's insert-artist-x" was a really cool thing to watch. 

Right on. I think drum corps miss the mark on familiarity too often honestly these days. It was a trademark in the pageantry area BITD, right? That's why I could relish on Bloo and Crown this year, both had enough familiar elements for anyone to latch onto. Super important.

I love seeing that first spark of love for the activity because someone was able to recognize a tune. (My partner snapped right back into his drumline days when he saw JONZ in 18. Feels similar.)

My first show made me a lover of the esoteric stuff fo life. Couldn't stop loving it if I tried. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

My first show made me a lover of the esoteric stuff fo life. Couldn't stop loving it if I tried. 🙂

1984 Garfield Cadets...West Side Story at Finals in Atlanta. My 2nd year watching DCI, my first finals and 3 years later I was a young rookie trying to not get cut at every single camp. I didn't even really believe I made the corps until I got my bottom halves. 

In 1985, VK played Chimes Festival. My High School band played it the next year. So even back in the 80's, good HS band programs were copying DCI LOL. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • JohnZ locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...