Jump to content

I'm a little nervous to say this but...


Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

See that's so neat! I went the other way. My partner never knew ANYTHING about drum corps. She was a cheerleader and 20 years younger than I am. I took her to her first drum corps in 2018 and she absolutely loved it. Now, she doesn't necessarily like some of the avant-garde stuff but what she DID dig was anything familiar. Hearing her say "Oh that's insert-artist-x" was a really cool thing to watch. 

Lol my wife never heard of drum corps but liked the shows where she could recognize the music. As years went by she enjoyed DCA championship weekend more for the people we knew than the shows. IOW to each their own and differing opinions is what makes things interesting.

As for me there are some corps or shows (in the same season) that I don’t want to miss. Then there are some that are “bathroom corps”. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Every generation has something to offer. Modern Drum Corps would not be here if it weren't for the past. Performance art evolves over time and what you like is simply what you like. One thing to note is that one day, you'll be on the other side of the mirror talking about drum corps of the 2020's and having people say "Meh....it's ok but it's not really my bag." And again, that's OK. 

I am not privy to any private messages that you may get, but most of what I see is people in the threads are simply people trying to share what THEY grew up with and try to maybe expand your musical vocabulary. Does that mean that your tastes are flawed. Of course not! You're your own cat with your own tastes and that's cool. Tastes also change with time and exposure and some different "generations" of drum corps literature may connect with you at some point in unexpected ways. 

Music, for most, is an emotional journey. What connects emotionally is yours and yours alone. I can say "Man listen to 2010 PR and tell me that it isn't one of the most beautiful shows you've seen." But that's MY emotion...MY mirror. You are your own cat. Be proud of that and continue to be respectful of the work that goes into the generations of music which came before your chosen time frames. That's all anyone can ever ask of a fan. 

This is the narration for Bluecoats’ 2023 production: Grooves and Generations

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

My partner snapped right back into his drumline days when he saw JONZ in 18.

I would have freaking cried if I saw Babylon live. Amazing show

actually scratch that, i would have freaking cried if i saw any of my favorite shows live

nobody told you this but i had a couple tears in my eyes at tempus blue live, and then in the theater with riffs and revelations

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I would have freaking cried if I saw Babylon live. Amazing show

actually scratch that, i would have freaking cried if i saw any of my favorite shows live

nobody told you this but i had a couple tears in my eyes at tempus blue live, and then in the theater with riffs and revelations

Oh the tears I've cried over drum corps. 😎 There's no shame in it. Emotionally evocative art making does that to the best of us. 22 brought me to tears more times than I'll admit.

You know what I realized as soon as I saw you write Babylon? Lolz, it was 19 we saw together, not 18. My bad, cause I was nowhere near drum corps in 18! Rest of the story is still true promise.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a public forum. People can post as they please so long as it doesn’t violate the rules, including sending you endless shows pre-synth 

 

Living your life with the mindset of “I like this only and that’s it” is a poor and boring way to live. Reminds me of the people from small towns who can barely tolerate hot sauce because they refuse to try the cuisines of other cultures 

There’s a lot to like about drum corps of all eras. And no era is homogenous. Some shows in the 80s are a lot better than the others. Writing off entire decades because you don’t like a few shows here and there is foolish to the highest degree. 
 

Your loss. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll say too that unless you were around for 2000 or earlier (or so,) it can be REALLY hard to catch onto the raw power of those shows when viewing dated footage shot with the equipment of the time that's been pumped through this weird internet thingy. A LOT is lost in translation. I love many movies from the mid to late 20th century but often the pacing challenges me, for example.

Imagine seeing your first show after only seeing broadcasts. Then imagine the broadcasts you watched were copies of copies of copies. Each of these drum corps experiences are wildly different.

Nothing can take a person back in time, or help them see through the static... let alone translate these shows' relevance to their times and to the development of the industry. Not without lectures anyway. And who needs that?

I'd go to that lecture but I can't expect others to want to.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It’s a public forum. People can post as they please so long as it doesn’t violate the rules, including sending you endless shows pre-synth 

 

Living your life with the mindset of “I like this only and that’s it” is a poor and boring way to live. Reminds me of the people from small towns who can barely tolerate hot sauce because they refuse to try the cuisines of other cultures 

There’s a lot to like about drum corps of all eras. And no era is homogenous. Some shows in the 80s are a lot better than the others. Writing off entire decades because you don’t like a few shows here and there is foolish to the highest degree. 
 

Your loss. 

This is a prime example of "If you don't like it, you're wrong."

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ZTWright said:

This is a prime example of "If you don't like it, you're wrong."

Didn’t say it has to be liked. But just outright saying “I don’t like it” without even giving it a try is plain ignorance 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Didn’t say it has to be liked. But just outright saying “I don’t like it” without even giving it a try is plain ignorance 

i... have? i've listened to a lot of the shows i've been sent and i say nothing because i don't want to hurt people's feelings.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • JohnZ locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...