Vanguard Cadets Announce Hiatus

I came here looking for a discussion that I thought would be in-progress already. I know it's not World Class, but they are a key piece of the world class parent organization.  I'm not suprised that the cost of goods/services continue to affect the activity, but I did not expect this sort of announcement from the SCV organization:

https://www.scvanguard.org/vanguard-cadetscurrent-season/

"After much consideration and internal discussion amongst executive leadership, program leadership, and the Board of Directors, Vanguard Music and Performing Arts (VMAPA) is placing The Vanguard Cadets on hiatus.

While the summer of 2022 was a historic and successful season for The Vanguard Cadets, it was also the most expensive year to run a drum corps in the history of the activity. Like many other organizations, VMAPA experienced dramatically increased operational costs due to skyrocketing gas prices, nationwide vehicle and equipment shortages, decreased accessibility of affordable housing, Covid-related PPE, and more. These factors, in combination with the current economic climate in the United States, have unfortunately created a financial burden too great for VMAPA to shoulder while running not one, but two incredibly high performing drum corps.

“This is not a decision we arrived at lightly,” said Jeremy C Van Wert, Executive Director of VMAPA. “We could never have anticipated the astronomical costs associated with the 2022 season. Everything- from basic food staples, to the buses that transport our members, was twice or three-times as expensive this year. We did our jobs to provide a World Class experience to the members of The Vanguard Cadets this summer and we are incredibly proud of all that they accomplished. Now that we have had time to reflect and take a close look at our financial situation, it is clear that we must place The Vanguard Cadets on a hiatus to protect the future of VMAPA. The Vanguard Cadets have achieved incredible things and it has taken diligent work to produce this excellent performer experience. A scaled back and drastically reduced experience would not have been consistent with the work done to build The Vanguard Cadets brand.” 

As to the future of the program, Mr. Van Wert said, “It is our hope that economic conditions will improve, and that it will be possible for The Vanguard Cadets to return to the field in the near future. However, as we learned this year, we cannot predict what comes next in today’s world. Our plan is to continue to do everything we can to bring in more funding and to revisit the future of The Vanguard Cadets program at the end of the 2023 season..”

To stay up to date on the status of The Vanguard Cadets, visit this page."

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

Sad but necessary…they were a great training ground for other WC corps; it isn’t the natural progression feeder it used to be where kids were promoted into SCV-A. My kid spent three years at SCVC, did the Rose Parade, won OC twice but got tired of the “you are less valued” atmosphere and went to Blue Stars in 2019. He had a blast. 

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, TRacer said:

Sad but necessary…they were a great training ground for other WC corps; it isn’t the natural progression feeder for SCV-A that it used to be. My kid spent three years there, won twice, got tired of the “you are less valued” atmosphere and went to Blue Stars in 2019. 

so You Eat After applied to more than one organization?

• Thanks 1

I hope the design team gets picked up.  While the SCV primary team does some amazing design work, I always felt the SCVC design team was more willing to take risks and try different things.  And they were getting them to pay off big time with recent years.

2 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If this was going to happen for SCVC (or any other Corps for that matter) I think it is better to decide now rather than when auditions (or spring training) are under way. 

Oh entirely.  It's being handled well from an organizational point of view.  I am sort of 'huh' that they're not even doing a limited California tour and not going to Indy sort of arrangement, but then, that also is logistics and resources spent to do that.

As an A-corps alum, former DCI instructor and VC parent I was very disappointed to hear about concepts like “being patched out”, “1/2 years” and other BS. My kid never wore his member jacket again after he left.

A few BD-A 2022 MMs were VC alums.

EDIT:  Sorry for the double post.

Edited by TRacer
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so You Eat After applied to more than one organization?

As an A-corps alum, former DCI instructor and VC parent I was very disappointed to hear about concepts like “being patched out”, “1/2 years” and other BS. My kid never wore his member jacket again after he left.

A few BD-A 2022 MMs were VC alums.