Vanguard Cadets Announce Hiatus

3 hours ago, TRacer said:

As an A-corps alum, former DCI instructor and VC parent I was very disappointed to hear about concepts like “being patched out”, “1/2 years” and other BS. My kid never wore his member jacket again after he left.

This is an example of when I know more than I can ethically say here.

Can confirm the awful patch out culture was present and remains among alum I've encountered. It's always been toxic. Alum and folks adjacent to the corps have written me off for the fact that I never put a single patch on and won't ever. I'm not exceptionally recognizable and like it that way, so if I disclose my unique place in the legacy, many of them change entirely. It's very disappointing. But it gives me a better sense of the culture.

If there were problems to accessing key resources like this mentioned in the statement, then how did that affect those now-alum? They are every bit my siblings as Vanguard members and I'm justifiably bristling here. Were they ok?

Edited by scheherazadesghost
effect to affect :)
  • Sad 1

I'll let someone with more patches than me (or any on their jacket) take this one. Despite my resentment, I want to maintain some fractional level of respect here.

In the meantime, I'd like to say I'm deeply sad to see SCVC in this kind of shape. But if MMs are safer in other places while the organization resets financially to the new reality, then so be it. This is a big loss to the legacy that will be very missed. I am sooo proud of the MMs, show and championship... but wonder how the alum are doing.

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Big dog is going to eat first.  Remember what happened to Cap Sound? 

and Crossmen, Magic, Boston and Sun during the YEA years. Southwind too

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and Crossmen, Magic, Boston and Sun during the YEA years. Southwind too

Yeah SW got bounced from the Madison org in 2007.  Cap Sound got bounced about a month after the season was over in 2003.  My kid wrote an article about it for DCI.  It was heartbreaking for those kids. Pretty unforgivable for me. 

Sad to hear and to me this is probably the end of the SCVC. You have two corps with over 120 members that have expenses of touring. 2019 Both BDB and Vanguard Cadets didn't not go to DCI Championships. Both did only CA shows. It would not surprise me if the Blue Devils make the same decision.

Edited by DFA1970

8 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Sad to hear and to me this is probably the end of the SCVC. You have two corps with over 120 members that have expenses of touring. 2019 Both BDB and Vanguard Cadets didn't not go to DCI Championships. Both did only CA shows. It would not surprise me if the Blue Devils make the same decision.

Blue Devils probably isn't in the same terrible financial situation that Vanguard is in.

14 hours ago, craiga said:

What the Dickens is a "patch out culture "?

Patch out culture is when people who have marched more years than you think they are justified for treating you badly. When interacting with SCV, we were treated like our patches were worth half as much as theirs. VMAPA is much the same with their resource allocation and the overall way they try to dictate the way SCVC is run. It's no surprise that the actual alums who care about the organization are so upset and angry with this decision.

VMAPA just gave us a masterclass on how to lose local support overnight.

• Sad 3