Vanguard Cadets Announce Hiatus

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Report from reddit user who marched VC 22:

I saw this and need to reemphasize this is NOT how SCVC was run in the past (up until 2019). I marched the Barnhill years and we had 4 warm meals, excellent housing, SO much floor time, the best volunteer and instructional staff. I'm sure the 2019 director was the same way.

So tell me, how is the stark contrast in amenities not a result of VMAPA decision making? Their world class counterpart is able to haul around multiple equipment and prop trucks, have world class facilities, literally a phonebook's worth of staff, and a chef. They aren't even the corps made up of Santa Clara / west coast kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, critter said:

You would tell us but then you would have to kill us?

Aw, no, I'd be sharing info from folks that haven't granted me consent to do so. I hate dangling and wish I could share more, but mean to express the complexity of this situation. And to reinforce that jumping to conclusions is not helpful (not accusing anyone here yet, just saying so preemptively.)

Note: I'm not directly connected to the org and haven't been since April. Even that connection was superficial at best so I shouldn't be interpreted as an insider. My opinions are my own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Aw, no, I'd be sharing info from folks that haven't granted me consent to do so. I hate dangling and wish I could share more, but mean to express the complexity of this situation. And to reinforce that jumping to conclusions is not helpful (not accusing anyone here yet, just saying so preemptively.)

Note: I'm not directly connected to the org and haven't been since April. Even that connection was superficial at best so I shouldn't be interpreted as an insider. My opinions are my own.

My belief is that if they already don't show you the time of day (and based on your post history across multiple platforms, they don't), why do you care about their consent? Especially if it isn't bound to anything legal. What are they gonna do to those of us who speak out, ruin our marching experience that already happened years ago? 

No pressure to share more, just how I'm going about sharing experiences about the organization now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TubaPlayer said:

My belief is that if they already don't show you the time of day (and based on your post history across multiple platforms, they don't), why do you care about their consent? Especially if it isn't bound to anything legal. What are they gonna do to those of us who speak out, ruin our marching experience that already happened years ago? 

No pressure to share more, just how I'm going about sharing experiences about the organization now

All good. Further disclosure if my own story depends only partially on concerns I've shared on this forum. Sure would help to have support from fellow alum in shifting my decision though *wink*. So far many of them are just as mum as the org.  @Jeff Ream is right, SC doesn't talk about Bruno.

Other disclosures are from witnesses and survivors dating back a ways and those folks haven't given me permission to share their stories. I don't break the trust they've given me, ever. 

The only other category of disclosure would be my direct interactions with leadership, which are relatively minimal. Again, I'd only share that with trustworthy alum first. Then, with their support, guidance and consent I may disclose.

58 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

(Darth Vader Voice)

The ethics-force is strong in this one. 

• Haha 2

Although I've been involved with this activity over 40 years, that involvement has been limited to the Boston Crusaders organization.  As such, I am completely clueless to this "patch out culture" to which people are referencing, and I am shocked to learn about food being an issue. I remember one of the PBS telecasts from the 80s (it might have been my favorite...1987) when one of the announcers referred to SCV as "The Rolls Royce of drum corps".  Clearly, that was long ago.

Between this and the Cadets thread, I am concerned for this activity as a whole.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, craiga said:

Although I've been involved with this activity over 40 years, that involvement has been limited to the Boston Crusaders organization.  As such, I am completely clueless to this "patch out culture" to which people are referencing, and I am shocked to learn about food being an issue. I remember one of the PBS telecasts from the 80s (it might have been my favorite...1987) when one of the announcers referred to SCV as "The Rolls Royce of drum corps".  Clearly, that was long ago.

Between this and the Cadets thread, I am concerned for this activity as a whole.

It was long ago, and far away, and it was so much better that it is today  ($0.02 to Meat Loaf)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, craiga said:

In my time at SCVC, that was probably true. We ate and slept and traveled better than some top 12 corps. Clearly no longer the case because they no longer have someone fighting to get them what they need to be a logistically successful drum corps.

VMAPA and SCV-A loves to talk about being classy, and we learned that their definition of class is very different than what is actually portrayed. 

• Sad 2