Vanguard Cadets Announce Hiatus

21 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

My experience with the Cavaliers back in the day was that the Cadet corps members were celebrated and moved up from the Cadet corps to the "A" corps. That was another way that they built up to championship level.

My son was in Cap Sound from 1999 to 2003 and I don’t believe was ever made to feel small or unworthy by either the Scouts or Southwind.  When they were in shows together, all three corps would have a meal and camaraderie. Many kids moved from there to Scouts or SW.  He was one of them, marching in both corps from 2004 to 2007. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 4

Just now, TubaPlayer said:

They did just that in 2019. Well they toured in California but yeah. Great show, kept all the staff on board, generated the talent. Show title was called "What About Us" lol hmmmmmm

Very appropriate title.

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

My son was in Cap Sound from 1999 to 2003 and I don’t believe was ever made to feel small or unworthy by either the Scouts or Southwind.  When they were in shows together, all three corps would have a meal and camaraderie. Many kids moved from there to Scouts or SW.  He was one of them, marching in both corps from 2004 to 2007. 

It certainly helps build a feeling of family, but then someone has to keep things going over time, which we see didn't happen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

giphy.gif

You gotta split the resources between the groups evenly in times of turmoil folks.

No, you really don't. When things are dire, you do triage.

Vanguard A corps is what makes the organization run. The Cadet corps, as with most other orgs' cadet corps, is a program for other young people who aren't old enough or aren't able to march with the A corps, but in no real world setting would you say "ok, let's pull resources from our brand product and allocate them to another product that doesn't provide the same level of exposure.".

But if alums want to get together and fund $500-700k to help staff up their Cadet corps for next year (though for a Cali only tour, unless the alums want to go bigger financially), it's likely their BOD would be happy to hear a proposal. 

Edited by Slingerland

8 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Vanguard A corps is what makes the organization run. The Cadet corps, as with most other orgs' cadet corps, is a program for other young people who aren't old enough or aren't able to march with the A corps, but in no real world setting would you say "ok, let's pull resources from our brand product and allocate them to another product that doesn't provide the same level of exposure.".

But if alums want to get together and fund $500-700k to help staff up their Cadet corps for next year (though for a Cali only tour, unless the alums want to go bigger financially), it's likely their BOD would be happy to hear a proposal. 

I wish I had that kind of money. Also I feel like brand product might be a bit of a stretch here. Obviously bias, but SCVC has done most of the actual winning in the decade, has done most of the performance in and around the Bay Area for VMAPA, has clearly attracted the talent to be a destination corps for a lot of people who are not able to do WC (I personally know people who marched top 12 and WENT BACK to SCVC to age out). SCV being the main vehicle of exposure competitively during the summer season, sure. The rest of the year and around the rest of the community, not so sure.

Edited by TubaPlayer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Slingerland said:

Perhaps our senses of how long this turmoil (globally and organizationally) has been occurring differs. The turmoil was very tangible to me two decades ago. I tried to return and help, but was swallowed alive by yet more harmful admin decisions. Alum want to help but are often turned away.

Vanguard A corps is what makes the organization run. The Cadet corps, as with most other orgs' cadet corps, is a program for other young people who aren't old enough or aren't able to march with the A corps, but in no real world setting would you say "ok, let's pull resources from our brand product and allocate them to another product that doesn't provide the same level of exposure."

There are more elegant solutions than "this or that."

We've been saying this whole time that there are plenty of VC members who are worthy of marching SCV. It's not so cut and dry. Some of my favorite and most respected alum that I marched with were first VC.

But if alums want to get together and fund $500-700k to help staff up their Cadet corps for next year, it's likely their BOD would be happy to hear a proposal. 

Respectfully, why should we? VMAPA and alum have done so little to reconcile the many harms against us, despite plenty of chances. We didn't burn this bridge. Many of us have tried to repair it multiple times with no assistance from the other side.

My own processing of this news publicly right now is a sign that I'm still friggin' trying to. But it's rarely taken that way.

• Thanks 1

Because you're the one demanding that others do what you think they should do.

Not once have I made a demand. This is not a protest action. The organization with the money and stature to do its job should do it to the standards that it has held its members since its founding... often to our detriment. They've made it painfully obvious how little they want my help.

I'm well aware of how little my voice matters in this arena. I'm merely processing sad news the best way I know how and the words I express are my own.

Your suggestion that I should keep trying to offer/demand solutions to an org that harmed me and continues to avoid me would only perpetuate the harm. I'm not processing with them and they have demonstrated they don't have the capacity for that anyway. Not when we're hearing reports like this. That's why I'm processing with the respectful folks here.