Vanguard Cadets Announce Hiatus

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

This kind of stuff didn’t happen in junior corps back then.  It was different.  

Egotists and control freaks really took over IMO.

I still remember being told by the drill instructor “judge doesn’t give a #### how old you are, and neither do I. If you screw up at practice you all get treated the same”. One year he yelled at me for a screw up then turned an older corps board member “and ###### Bill you did it too!!”.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Egotists and control freaks really took over IMO.

I still remember being told by the drill instructor “judge doesn’t give a #### how old you are, and neither do I. If you screw up at practice you all get treated the same”. One year he yelled at me for a screw up then turned an older corps board member “and ###### Bill you did it too!!”.

That's a different tactic to bring out whatever the instructor wanted to bring out that I hope isn't still around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It will never be a perfect world, but on the whole approaches to teaching and judging have become more humane and professional down through the years. On the latter, I remember being told in a critique, "You sound terrible, but so does everybody else on the East Coast this year." At finals, 27th and Bridgemen were top 3. On the former, the influx of professionally trained educators has improved the discourse markedly, with a few unfortunate exceptions.

In many ways it was the Wild West in the old days. We have issues to resolve, still, but...many things are headed in the right direction. Drum corps is about indomitable spirit, and the activity will find a way to conquer the significant challenges we face.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TubaPlayer said:

.... Very few SCVC kids moved up to SCV, previously not by their choice, but now they've chosen to take their talents elsewhere.

Does anyone know how many members from BDB & Colt Cadets move to the A corps (vs go somewhere else to march WC)?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

That's a different tactic to bring out whatever the instructor wanted to bring out that I hope isn't still around.

No it was the instructor being honest with us about what to expect. IOW just because you’re still in High School don’t expect to be treated differently than the adults. Don’t know why you’re twisting this into some head trip thing.

Guy could grump you out during practice and then right afterwards “hey haven’t talked to you for a while Jim how are you doing”. IOW he could separate drum corps and real life

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

No it was the instructor being honest with us about what to expect. IOW just because you’re still in High School don’t expect to be treated differently than the adults. Don’t know why you’re twisting this into some head trip thing.

Guy could grump you out during practice and then right afterwards “hey haven’t talked to you for a while Jim how are you doing”. IOW he could separate drum corps and real life

Oh Jim, I'm not twisting anything my IT bud. That tactic has been around for ages.

Edited by jjeffeory

21 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Oh Jim, I'm not twisting anything my IT bud. That tactic has been around for ages.

Yeah what the hell I was only around the guy for 6 seasons. Whadda I know… should have realized all instructors are exactly alike. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I hate to break it to local alum but VMAPA is not technically obliged to serve the Bay Area community directly. What a shame. The mission statement says nothing about it. 😞

I see this often in arts non profits. When they pivot at any point to prioritizing broader or non local goals, they often also alienate a crucial group of supporters that ground the org and make it unique. Locals live in the shadow of giants they rarely see the same benefits from as outsiders. It's weird.