Vanguard Cadets Announce Hiatus

4 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

My super bad, lol! It's a really appropriate metaphor so I've been slinging it around like candy.

To get rid of an earworm, I hum or sing a short, repeatable melody. Sometimes jingles are perfect like "Buy Menen." Disney earworms are the worst.

Did someone mention a Disney song? (Y'all really need to listen to some of this; truly a real artist.)

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yeah what the hell I was only around the guy for 6 seasons. Whadda I know… should have realized all instructors are exactly alike. 

Hmmm

You certainly took this the wrong way. Duly noted. I wasn't talking about YOUR guy, I was talking about THAT tactic. There's a difference.

I'm done. I don't need that. Really.....

Edited by jjeffeory

19 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Hmmm

You certainly took this the wrong way. Duly noted. I wasn't talking about YOUR guy, I was talking about THAT tactic. There's a difference.

I'm done. I don't need that. Really.....

Sounded to me like you were saying the guy I knew was using that tactic. And for whatever reason I couldn’t see he was using it. 🤷🏻🤷🏻

4 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Life circle here.....

I have lived in Denton 2 blocks from UNT.

I have been on the management team of a former top open class corps...

I currently live in Savannah. And yes, there is a ton of apprehension in the community about the Bananas leaving the Coastal Plains League.

But, as an aside....

I know of another top echelon open class corps that spent roughly $1.2 million this past season. 

While I feel for the members and staff of SCVC, and feel very strongly that Gale must be rolling over in his grave about his beloved organization, I have to ask.....

Is this activity even obtainable for the average individual/organization? 

Think about it. $1.2 million for a zero percent slice of the revenue pie from DCI. It all goes to the World Class corps unless you appear in their shows. 

Sponsorships/endorsements don't happen for the Open Class corps unless you have a top name staff that has relationships with the companies already.

Let's face it. The activity isn't dieing for the open class corps. It's been dead for years since the demise of the regional circuits. DCE, DCW, DCS (short lived), DCM, Garden State Circuit, Eastern Mass Circuit, ODCA. They are what kept the activity alive and enabled the smaller corps to have an avenue to enable them to exist. 

You could compete locally and not have to have all of the out of state members to remain viable. Yes, as you became more successful, you would add out of state members as you climb the ranks, but you didn't have to just to exist.

Over the past few years, we've seen multiple corps put out the call for help while within the season and the criticism always follows. How many people have an idea about the costs these days? Or how if one fundraiser goes wrong, it can jeapordize the future of the organization?

Personally, I would love to see SCVC go back to their roots. Open it up to local membership and become a local instructional corps again. Unfortunately, it looks like VMPA is not interested in that.....

Edited by ECJ94
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sounded to me like you were saying the guy I knew was using that tactic. And for whatever reason I couldn’t see he was using it. 🤷🏻🤷🏻

I go to GREAT pains to talk about actions and behaviors, and to NEVER talk about people, because I actually care about people, even if I don't know them. So, I apologise if I offended you, but I can't handle that kind of reaction when I consciously go overboard to be a fair, caring, and friendly poster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ECJ94 said:

Life circle here.....

I have lived in Denton 2 blocks from UNT.

Wink. Same. Both of my degrees are from TWU.

I have been on the management team of a former top open class corps...

I currently live in Savannah. And yes, there is a ton of apprehension in the community about the Bananas leaving the Coastal Plains League.

Man, we vibin in this thread.

But, as an aside....

I know of another top echelon open class corps that spent roughly $1.2 million this past season. 

While I feel for the members and staff of SCVC, and feel very strongly that Gale must be rolling over in his grave about his beloved organization, I have to ask.....

Is this activity even obtainable for the average individual/organization? 

Think about it. $1.2 million for a zero percent slice of the revenue pie from DCI. It all goes to the World Class corps unless you appear in their shows. 

Sponsorships/endorsements don't happen for the Open Class corps unless you have a top name staff that has relationships with the companies already.

Let's face it. The activity isn't dieing for the open class corps. It's been dead for years since the demise of the regional circuits. DCE, DCW, DCS (short lived), DCM, Garden State Circuit, Eastern Mass Circuit, ODCA. They are what kept the activity alive and enabled the smaller corps to have an avenue to enable them to exist. 

You could compete locally and not have to have all of the out of state members to remain viable. Yes, as you became more successful, you would add out of state members as you climb the ranks, but you didn't have to just to exist.

Over the past few years, we've seen multiple corps put out the call for help while within the season and the criticism always follows. How many people have an idea about the costs these days? Or how if one fundraiser goes wrong, it can jeapordize the future of the organization?

All completely valid and I don't really disagree. I guess I take on the mindset of the book The Art of the Turnaround. All of these organizations have irreplaceable cultural value. But smooth direction changes are slowly becoming less feasible.

Personally, I would love to see SCVC go back to their roots. Open it up to local membership and become a local instructional corps again. Unfortunately, it looks like VMPA is not interested in that.....

Well said. Very sad indeed. I'm sure there's so much we're not seeing too so I want to give the org at least that grace.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

But smooth direction changes are slowly becoming less feasible

But, were they ever feasible?

How many of these organizations have ever truly been able to pivot?

Bingo dies. What happens to the corps?

The member who's parents are the "dependable volunteers" ages out. What happens?

Not many alumni are willing to step up and give back, or they are not in a position in their lives to.

I've put out the call to parents and alumni in the past to hear crickets chirping. It is all too common.

Unless the activity can build the leaders for the next generation (ala Boston Crusaders), there will not be qualified people to pick up the reigns.

I was lucky. After I marched I was able to spend 2 years on a volunteer basis giving back after being successful with my first company. How many are willing to sacrifice personally to give back and enable the future generation?

• Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, ECJ94 said:

But, were they ever feasible?

This is the million dollar question. I would argue that the organization has endured some very serious blows and I never count 'em out. Perhaps I'm whistling in the dark?

How many of these organizations have ever truly been able to pivot?

In drum corps? I'm unsure. But other significant arts nonprofits across the country? Plenty!

Bingo dies. What happens to the corps?

I sure hope a contingency and possible transition plan are in place. Plenty of other arts nonprofits thrive without gambling businesses.

The member who's parents are the "dependable volunteers" ages out. What happens?

Another triage strategy is needed here for sure. This is why cutting out the locals is so dangerous.

Not many alumni are willing to step up and give back, or they are not in a position in their lives to.

I've put out the call to parents and alumni in the past to hear crickets chirping. It is all too common.

😞 When we have to fight to communicate it becomes pretty exhausting. I'm sorry your efforts were met with crickets. Prior to this year I may have contributed to that. The only contact I remember was a donation request.

Unless the activity can build the leaders for the next generation (ala Boston Crusaders), there will not be qualified people to pick up the reigns.

I'm in contact with some of those cats but haven't broached the topic yet. I'm deeply curious about their transition.

I was lucky. After I marched I was able to spend 2 years on a volunteer basis giving back after being successful with my first company. How many are willing to sacrifice personally to give back and enable the future generation?

I hold onto hope that someone in leadership/admin will recognize the value of reconciling with survivors. Like most orgs, I imagine they have limited capacity for the emotional labor required to do so. There are many of us who could be volunteers across the country, donors, or board members. We were just burnt so badly we stopped knocking on the door.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
clarity

Expenses going up. 

Staff and admin numbers are multiplying.

Corps admin and staff hire their friends with no open application process. (Ever seen a job vacancy posting for a caption head position?)

Certain egos act like they run the world and can do whatever they want.

Housing options going down. 

Numbers of corps are shrinking.

The activity has limited time left. 

Vanguard is making a decision to extend the life of their A corps to the maximum extent.

How many more years will that get them? idk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Did someone mention a Disney song? (Y'all really need to listen to some of this; truly a real artist.)

the current curse of my life. i hope you meet an evil prince

• Haha 3