Vanguard Cadets Announce Hiatus

3 hours ago, ECJ94 said:

Life circle here.....

I have lived in Denton 2 blocks from UNT.

I have been on the management team of a former top open class corps...

I currently live in Savannah. And yes, there is a ton of apprehension in the community about the Bananas leaving the Coastal Plains League.

But, as an aside....

I know of another top echelon open class corps that spent roughly $1.2 million this past season. 

While I feel for the members and staff of SCVC, and feel very strongly that Gale must be rolling over in his grave about his beloved organization, I have to ask.....

Is this activity even obtainable for the average individual/organization? 

Think about it. $1.2 million for a zero percent slice of the revenue pie from DCI. It all goes to the World Class corps unless you appear in their shows. 

Sponsorships/endorsements don't happen for the Open Class corps unless you have a top name staff that has relationships with the companies already.

Let's face it. The activity isn't dieing for the open class corps. It's been dead for years since the demise of the regional circuits. DCE, DCW, DCS (short lived), DCM, Garden State Circuit, Eastern Mass Circuit, ODCA. They are what kept the activity alive and enabled the smaller corps to have an avenue to enable them to exist. 

You could compete locally and not have to have all of the out of state members to remain viable. Yes, as you became more successful, you would add out of state members as you climb the ranks, but you didn't have to just to exist.

Over the past few years, we've seen multiple corps put out the call for help while within the season and the criticism always follows. How many people have an idea about the costs these days? Or how if one fundraiser goes wrong, it can jeapordize the future of the organization?

Personally, I would love to see SCVC go back to their roots. Open it up to local membership and become a local instructional corps again. Unfortunately, it looks like VMPA is not interested in that.....

and worse...OC voted for a lot of this themselves

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the current curse of my life. i hope you meet an evil prince

Elementary music flashbacks.  My first year teaching, I got to teach elementary music in the mornings.  I never touched the recorders only using the Orff instruments.  I figured the children would enjoyed hitting something more than the recorder. 😁

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

Elementary music flashbacks.  My first year teaching, I got to teach elementary music in the mornings.  I never touched the recorders only using the Orff instruments.  I figured the children would enjoyed hitting something more than the recorder. 😁

So although I finished my degree in music education, I am glad I never TRULY pursued it as a career and here is why:

Elementary School Music = musicians in their first stages of learning

First Stages of Learning = lots of honking, squeaking and tuning issues

Me = CURSED WITH PERFECT PITCH (really, really...a drummer with perfect pitch...what a waste)

I just can't.....just...can't. I am SO glad that there are people in the world who can teach our youth music and SOOOOOOO glad that it isn't me. Universe love and bless you for your contribution.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

animal10a.jpg?width=620&quality=85&fit=m

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

1st to stay on topic.....this really IS a shame. I hate to see any cadet corps go inactive. That being said, it doesn't sound like SCVC was really "feeding" anyone except other top 12 corps with the EXCEPTION of SCV. 

Now...off topic...this comment reminded me of unadulterated childhood joys to smashing things with drum sticks. Please see the inserted image for reference of how all drummers feel:

And this also happens to be my absolute FAV kit of Animals from Dr. Teeth. You just can't deny the Champagne Sparkle Fade man. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

1st to stay on topic.....this really IS a shame. I hate to see any cadet corps go inactive. That being said, it doesn't sound like SCVC was really "feeding" anyone except other top 12 corps with the EXCEPTION of SCV. 

VC alum have been warning about this for years. 😞 It is really sad when the org builds you up in either corps only to reject you later down the line for any number of unspoken reasons. It really sucks.

8 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Now...off topic...this comment reminded me of unadulterated childhood joys to smashing things with drum sticks.

I always wanted to be a drummer. Was told I was too small. So instead I sat on the drum bus in corps during some of the best JONZ years in history, and later married a drummer... still crossing my fingers that he'll teach me djun djun some day! So, I'm familiar with the feeling:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

animal10a.jpg?width=620&quality=85&fit=m

Now...off topic...this comment reminded me of unadulterated childhood joys to smashing things with drum sticks. Please see the inserted image for reference of how all drummers feel:

6 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I always wanted to be a drummer. Was told I was too small. So instead I sat on the drum bus in corps during some of the best JONZ years in history, and later married a drummer... still crossing my fingers that he'll teach me djun djun some day! So, I'm familiar with the feeling:

giphy.gif

It's never too late to 'learn the drums' or hit something. 😁

For y'all plus@DFA1970, I'll post the great GIECO commercial:

• Haha 3