Vanguard Cadets Announce Hiatus

13 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

“Not Vanguard enough..”

my first thought was “my ### #### check was Vanguard enough for you”.

More and more glad I marched in a Senior/All Age corps when I was 16-22. Anyone played mind games got called out real quick 

This kind of stuff didn’t happen in junior corps back then.  It was different.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, contraguard05 said:

This is giving me flashbacks to the shuttering of the winter guard and a "retirement"...

Perhaps their Board recognized that they were missing enough competent adults willing to do the work necessary to run the program according to their standards. Hiring everywhere is tough right now, especially in fields having to do with social service and education (and drum corps management encompasses both).  If the reports from members are true, and they had substandard conditions, and the BOD is being truthful that the expense the syear was more than what they felt comfortable committing to for 2023, then wouldn't the prudent course of action be to (checks notes.....) put the program on hiatus until they have adults ready to run it and the funds to do it well?

In other words, the thing they actually did?

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

This kind of stuff didn’t happen in junior corps back then.  It was different.  

My experience with the Cavaliers back in the day was that the Cadet corps members were celebrated and moved up from the Cadet corps to the "A" corps. That was another way that they built up to championship level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Perhaps their Board recognized that they were missing enough competent adults willing to do the work necessary to run the program according to their standards. Hiring everywhere is tough right now, especially in fields having to do with social service and education (and drum corps management encompasses both).  If the reports from members are true, and they had substandard conditions, and the BOD is accurate that the expense was more than what they felt comfortable committing to, then wouldn't the prudent course of action be to (checks notes.....) put the program on hiatus until they have adults ready to run it that they can trust and the funds to do it well?

In other words, the thing they actually did?

Take a look at the SCV admin staff page. The list never really stops. They have a meteorologist and enough health and wellness members to staff an SNF. Is it that the board recognized they couldn't uphold those standards or that they were less willing to allocate more resources from their A corps to the Cadet corps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TubaPlayer said:

Take a look at the SCV admin staff page. The list never really stops. They have a meteorologist and enough health and wellness members to staff an SNF. Is it that the board recognized they couldn't uphold those standards or that they were less willing to allocate more resources from their A corps to the Cadet corps?

The world is in turmoil.

My GUESS is that they want to allocate everything to the "A" corps. There are so many sinking ships and mental health crises across the planet now; I think we're all just trying to figure out how to stay afloat, and when people do that, other people get hurt.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I have a question, as this information is horrible and does break my heart, as I've seen other Cadet corps fold over the years and it is just horrible to lose another one, even if only for a short time.

Thank you. I hope many alum can appreciate your and others' condolences.

I hope this doesn't come across in a negative way, but are a bunch of these problems generational differences in expectations?

I think a bunch of concerns are being communicated and cross communicated and there seems to be a bit of a culture clash between Baby Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y.1, Y.2 ( aka Millennials), Gen Z, and (not quite) Gen A.

I really see the Gen Z or iGeneration as being very outspoken, and they're the current marching generations.

I'm hoping that the dialogue other alum in this thread have brought so respectfully to the table is a sign that this isn't entirely true. On it's surface, these thoughts reflect my experience among alum to a point. I personally feel there's a great divide between X and Millennials right now. That's only based on my personal experiences though. I listen to Gen Z and other survivors first at this point.

This particular example just further cements a huge problem in the activity. We have these lofty expectations without the funding or infrastructure to realize those expectations. It's really scary.

...I'm mentally walking the line between these corps providing a basic experience with good and nutritious food, treating people like humans beings, and with safety and the obviously over criticality of organizations not meeting every person's particular expectations.

These corps are NOT major financial institutions will tens of million dollar revenue streams.

Louder for those in the back. @Slingerland seems to agree.

Anyone want to give me more to thinking about and help all of us try to process and work through?

I'm processing this right now in community with you all. I appreciate your contribution and hope my thoughts can be read more as a thought experiment than anything else.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Thank you. I hope many alum can appreciate your and others' condolences.

I'm hoping that the dialogue other alum in this thread have brought so respectfully to the table is a sign that this isn't entirely true. On it's surface, these thoughts reflect my experience among alum to a point. I personally feel there's a great divide between X and Millennials right now. That's only based on my personal experiences though. I listen to Gen Z and other survivors first at this point.

Louder for those in the back. @Slingerland seems to agree.

I'm processing this right now in community with you all. I appreciate your contribution and hope my thoughts can be read more as a thought experiment than anything else.

Thanks! My other worry is that this latest Vanguard Cadet move is a "Canary in the Mine" event for the activity, especially after going to DCA this year. Is our activity going to die?

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

The world is in turmoil.

My GUESS is that they want to allocate everything to the "A" corps. There are so many sinking ships and mental health crises across the planet now; I think we're all just trying to figure out how to stay afloat, and when people do that, other people get hurt.

6 minutes ago, TubaPlayer said:

giphy.gif

You gotta split the resources between the groups evenly in times of turmoil folks.

• Like 1

Just now, scheherazadesghost said:

giphy.gif

You gotta split the resources between the groups evenly in times of turmoil folks.

Apparently the admin there feels that SCV 'A' at 5th place is worth more than SCVC at 1st place.

There's more going on here, as the Cadet corps could just stay in the Bay Area for a while.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

Apparently the admin there feels that SCV 'A' at 5th place is worth more than SCVC at 1st place.

There's more going on here, as the Cadet corps could just stay in the Bay Area for a while.

They did just that in 2019. Well they toured in California but yeah. Great show, kept all the staff on board, generated the talent. Show title was called "What About Us" lol hmmmmmm

• Thanks 1