? for percussion: Would this book hold up today?

https://youtu.be/XDG833QrUWc

30 years ago this year. 

Judges tape from '92 Crossmen. I can't remember if they won the Sanford that year. I think Mark Thurston line?

I can evaluate brass and visual better than drums, so am asking those who would know better:  Would this or other top books from that Era still hold up well today (aka is quality writing/performing excellent no matter what era it's from)?

What do you consider to be the quintessential lines from the 80s and 90s?

Edited by wolfgang

front ensemble writing has come a long way since then, so i think that would hold it back...they perform well, but the skill sets offered isn't up to today. battery scoring is a little "old school" compared to todays work, but clean is clean.

it is a Thurston line and i believe they were 4th

Cavaliers won drums in 92. Star was 2nd I think (or maybe Star and Cadets t-2nd). Crossmen were elite but the ensemble and overall book wouldn’t hold up today. Most books from then wouldn’t. (There is one exception…more on that in a minute. You can probably guess who.)

I can only speak from my years of following the activity, but the lines that always stand out to me in my memories (and I’m biased in some ways) are:

86 BD

87 SCV

89 SCV

91 SCV and Cavaliers

91-92 Bones (2 favorite drum solos ever)

93 Star (and this is the exception, and also the 🐐)

94 BD and Cadets

97-98 SCV

99-00 Cavaliers

Edited by bkbass98

1 hour ago, bkbass98 said:

Cavaliers won drums in 92. Star was 2nd I think (or maybe Star and Cadets t-2nd). Crossmen were elite but the ensemble and overall book wouldn’t hold up today. Most books from then wouldn’t. (There is one exception…more on that in a minute. You can probably guess who.)

I can only speak from my years of following the activity, but the lines that always stand out to me in my memories (and I’m biased in some ways) are:

86 BD

87 SCV

89 SCV

91 SCV and Cavaliers

91-92 Bones (2 favorite drum solos ever)

93 Star (and this is the exception, and also the 🐐)

94 BD and Cadets

97-98 SCV

99-00 Cavaliers

95 Cavaliers and 97 BD were bad*** as well. 

• Like 1

An interesting exercise in speculation here. I would only point out that it's unlikely that any 1992 drum line would have possessed the simultaneous responsibility movement skills of a contemporary one, any more than today's lines could credibly perform the musical books of the former era.

The talent is equivalent. They are trained for different demands.

If either of them time-traveled to the other's universe, they would get their legs cracked, I think.

• Like 1

I have the sheet music to that drum feature. Honestly, no, it doesn’t hold up. It’s era-appropriate for sure, and still ######, but these days it’s ram-mish to the point of overwritten, and it’s way too 16th-note based - it’s very “square.”

It’s also got like 72 flams in like 32 bars.

Mike

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

An interesting exercise in speculation here. I would only point out that it's unlikely that any 1992 drum line would have possessed the simultaneous responsibility movement skills of a contemporary one, any more than today's lines could credibly perform the musical books of the former era.

The talent is equivalent. They are trained for different demands.

If either of them time-traveled to the other's universe, they would get their legs cracked, I think.

this. the visual demands and tempos are way different now. that changes everything.

but it's still my all time favorite Crossmen show

39 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I have the sheet music to that drum feature. Honestly, no, it doesn’t hold up. It’s era-appropriate for sure, and still ######, but these days it’s ram-mish to the point of overwritten, and it’s way too 16th-note based - it’s very “square.”

It’s also got like 72 flams in like 32 bars.

Mike

and thats not counting the brass re-entry section!

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and thats not counting the brass re-entry section!

If there's any one moment from any one show from any one corps I could transport back to and be on the field for, just to experience it for myself...that's the moment.  I can't even imagine the adrenaline rush that must have been pouring through those guys when that brass chord comes back in.  I still have the hairs on my arm stand up every time I watch it again (and I've watched it too many #### times to count) and I wasn't even there to see it in person.  Yes, the show was imperfect, the writing was unique and of-its-time and such...but ####, man.  Sometimes groups strike gold and just define a moment in time.  Bones 92 - Puma is it for me.  (SCV 91's 12 second solo in the Fall of Saigon is a close second) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bkbass98 said:

If there's any one moment from any one show from any one corps I could transport back to and be on the field for, just to experience it for myself...that's the moment.  I can't even imagine the adrenaline rush that must have been pouring through those guys when that brass chord comes back in.  I still have the hairs on my arm stand up every time I watch it again (and I've watched it too many #### times to count) and I wasn't even there to see it in person.  Yes, the show was imperfect, the writing was unique and of-its-time and such...but ####, man.  Sometimes groups strike gold and just define a moment in time.  Bones 92 - Puma is it for me.  (SCV 91's 12 second solo in the Fall of Saigon is a close second) 

a very good friend of mine was a visual tech in 92. and any time it comes on or comes up he is quick to loudly say " I GOT TO STAND IN FRONT OF THAT RE-ENTRY EVERY ####### DAY!"

• Like 1