Be safe!

We got hit hard in the Orlando area, in the "safe" part of the state. Bad hurricanes here before, including 3 in a row in 2004, but the flooding this time is unbelievable. I live on a lake, which has never come close to overflowing in the 25 years the property has been in my family. The level is now over my seawall and 4' into the yard, and the last of my dock is about to go under. Likely to keep rising over the next few days. Fortunately I had tied down my boat.

There is a sophisticated drainage system that sends excess lake water to the St. John's River, but that is also flooded, so who knows at this point. So many photos from friends of other, always dry, neighborhoods under water. 

Much yard carnage from 24 hours of constant wind, but nothing other major with me, other than one ceiling leak. Power was undergrounded this year and has stayed on (a first for me). 

Will definitely be a tough recovery for many people. Unfortunately, situations like this are likely to only increase in frequency, and while the developers don't want to accept it, big parts of the coastal areas are going to become less and less habitable. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, NakedEye said:

We got hit hard in the Orlando area, in the "safe" part of the state. Bad hurricanes here before, including 3 in a row in 2004, but the flooding this time is unbelievable. I live on a lake, which has never come close to overflowing in the 25 years the property has been in my family. The level is now over my seawall and 4' into the yard, and the last of my dock is about to go under. Likely to keep rising over the next few days. Fortunately I had tied down my boat.

There is a sophisticated drainage system that sends excess lake water to the St. John's River, but that is also flooded, so who knows at this point. So many photos from friends of other, always dry, neighborhoods under water. 

Much yard carnage from 24 hours of constant wind, but nothing other major with me, other than one ceiling leak. Power was undergrounded this year and has stayed on (a first for me). 

Will definitely be a tough recovery for many people. Unfortunately, situations like this are likely to only increase in frequency, and while the developers don't want to accept it, big parts of the coastal areas are going to become less and less habitable. 

I have a student who has plans to attend a wedding in Orlando Saturday.  She has convinced herself that all will be back to normal by then.  

I’m skeptical. 

59 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I have a student who has plans to attend a wedding in Orlando Saturday.  She has convinced herself that all will be back to normal by then.  

I’m skeptical. 

A good reason to be.  Florida is still being pummeled with heavy rain and wind especially on the East Coast, the storm isn't supposed to move north beyond the FL/GA line until early tomorrow morning, MCO not projected to presume flight operations until late tomorrow morning, curfews are in effect in many areas, and some areas are still impassable or totally cordoned off.

Back to normal will be a while, IMO

2 hours ago, NakedEye said:

municipalities need to say "no" to developers.

and this is from a guy who makes his living in real estate

32 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

A good reason to be.  Florida is still being pummeled with heavy rain and wind especially on the East Coast, the storm isn't supposed to move north beyond the FL/GA line until early tomorrow morning, MCO not projected to presume flight operations until late tomorrow morning, curfews are in effect in many areas, and some areas are still impassable or totally cordoned off.

saw a video of the Poly during the storm. geez

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JohnZ said:

I’m sure I’ll hear all about it Monday- one way or another 

The responsible thing would be for the couple to postpone it.  And this may have happened already.   I’m just an observer from afar through the eyes of a student.  

4 hours ago, NakedEye said:

I’m so sorry. 🙏

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I’m sure I’ll hear all about it Monday- one way or another 

The responsible thing would be for the couple to postpone it.  And this may have happened already.   I’m just an observer from afar through the eyes of a student.  

All good! Got my official Disney & Universal emails that they will reopen tomorrow.  (Missing out on too much money per day.)

But I have a former band parent in the Ft. Myers area that think they've lost their house built by their father in the 70s. And the authorities are speculating that there might be significant lives lost due to the storm surge.  Sad; praying for all Floridians!     

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Sad 2