Be safe!

52 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Britt told me once that on one of her solo hiking expeditions in her 20's, she came up on a mountain lion that followed her from a ridge right above the trail for several miles. She always describes it as a horrifying and beautiful experience. She said it somehow also cured her fears of mountain lions oddly enough. 

<<<[Biology Professor Hat On]>>>

Panthers, cougars, pumas & mountain lions (& Nittany lions) are all the same species, Puma concolor

This is why we use the latin names - eliminates problems w/ regional names.

The Florida subspecies has had some females from Texas added to the population to increase genetic variety.  That, as well as providing underpasses so animals can move around w/o getting on highways, had reaped benefits.

How they fared in the storm is yet to be seen.  Usually poses some challenges, but also opens up opportunities.

<<<[Biology Professor Hat Off]>>>

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

<<<[Biology Professor Hat On]>>>

Panthers, cougars, pumas & mountain lions (& Nittany lions) are all the same species, Puma concolor

This is why we use the latin names - eliminates problems w/ regional names.

The Florida subspecies has had some females from Texas added to the population to increase genetic variety.  That, as well as providing underpasses so animals can move around w/o getting on highways, had reaped benefits.

How they fared in the storm is yet to be seen.  Usually poses some challenges, but also opens up opportunities.

<<<[Biology Professor Hat Off]>>>

Mother nature and honestly natural disasters are the great equalizer. I never want to see people hurt, property damaged etc. But I am also a big fan of nature getting to be nature. The fact that we are even here is simply a matter of timing and our time is coming sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Mother nature and honestly natural disasters are the great equalizer. I never want to see people hurt, property damaged etc. But I am also a big fan of nature getting to be nature. The fact that we are even here is simply a matter of timing and our time is coming sooner rather than later. 

To be clear, I was referring to the storm posing both challenges and opportunities for wildlife.  I realize that it was a disaster for many humans in Florida.  

• Like 1

It was, however, unnerving seeing alligators swimming through an Orlando neighborhood during multiple news casts. How do they get relocated and where to?

Edited by Sutasaurus

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Have they given you an estimate of when power will be back on?

By 10/9. It’s very hard to find gas or food there.  I’m hoping by next weekend. People are getting violent and the police have had to break up fights. I had to get away from that. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

They have gator wranglers down here. 

Prolly won’t be on my list of volunteer gigs.

• Haha 2