Be safe!

Dear lady T: My family has been praying for your family's safety...prayers answered..Now we hope your home is habitable ASAP..DCP Strong!!!!..peace

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2022 at 9:48 AM, Terri Schehr said:

We went home yesterday.  Minimal damage to our house.  Fence is toast.  Landscaping is gone.  No water, power, or internet for an indeterminate time.  We’re on our way to Illinois to stay with my sister until services are restored.  If you are so inclined, say a prayer for the people of SW Florida.  Our area is devastated. It will years for it to come back. 

When i lost my home to a tornado in 2020, it was uninhabitable for 364 days.  A couple of Other homes in the area were damaged, not to the same extent as mine, and they were out between 3 and 6 months.  I can only imagine how long it will take to rebuild whole towns down where you are!  At least you are safe and should be home soon.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

It was, however, unnerving seeing alligators swimming through an Orlando neighborhood during multiple news casts. How do they get relocated and where to?

Most will migrate to the closest body of water and as long as they aren't considered a hazard will be left alone.  Ones that are a risk due to size or aggressiveness especially if they take up residence in a retention pond near or surrounded by homes will be trapped and relocated, usually to the closest preserve.  some that have attacked humans or domestic animals will be euthanized.

Some of those wranglers are a rare breed of crazy, especially the ones that don't use traps, IMO!

17 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

By 10/9. It’s very hard to find gas or food there.  I’m hoping by next weekend. People are getting violent and the police have had to break up fights. I had to get away from that. 

I hope that you cleaned out the frig & freezer before you left.

I can speak from experience that freezer in garage after about 4 days w/o power smelled like there was a serial killer at work.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I hope that you cleaned out the frig & freezer before you left.

I can speak from experience that freezer in garage after about 4 days w/o power smelled like there was a serial killer at work.

Luckily most insurance companies pay for food spoilage, and perhaps even a damaged fridge.

We had to throw away a bunch of food during Katrina, and the insurance company wanted an itemized list of foods that were lost.

We had some expensive New York cheese cakes in the freezer, so that was $80 worth of food in just two cakes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Luckily most insurance companies pay for food spoilage, and perhaps even a damaged fridge.

We had to throw away a bunch of food during Katrina, and the insurance company wanted an itemized list of foods that were lost.

We had some expensive New York cheese cakes in the freezer, so that was $80 worth of food in just two cakes.

Didn't help that I had about 5 pounds of frozen bait in freezer...😎

• Haha 3

On 10/1/2022 at 9:48 AM, Terri Schehr said:

We went home yesterday.  Minimal damage to our house.  Fence is toast.  Landscaping is gone.  No water, power, or internet for an indeterminate time.  We’re on our way to Illinois to stay with my sister until services are restored.  If you are so inclined, say a prayer for the people of SW Florida.  Our area is devastated. It will years for it to come back. 

Our neighbors are still at their home in Punta Gorda. No power as of this morning, and they don’t know when the’ll get back to NJ. Was supposed to be tomorrow, but flights are not happening until Wednesday. There is a 9:00 PM curfew to keep looting down.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

Our neighbors are still at their home in Punta Gorda. No power as of this morning, and they don’t know when the’ll get back to NJ. Was supposed to be tomorrow, but flights are not happening until Wednesday. There is a 9:00 PM curfew to keep looting down.

They put curfew at 10pm today.  They’re saying our power should be up by Friday.  We have  water but it’s non-potable.  And bluestream repaired the internet to our house.  Just waiting on the power.  Things should be a lot better by the weekend.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1