Be safe!

5 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I need to have someone come out and clean my gutters and then do a good pressure washing. Since we haven't had a drop of rain in over a month, there is very little yard work to be had. 

We have stucco and it has to be soft washed or else Jim would have powered up his power washer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We have stucco and it has to be soft washed or else Jim would have powered up his power washer. 

I have a couple of them as well. But I already know the order of events which will occur. If I pressure wash the house, then I will get conned into also pressure washing both decks, the back patio, the shop, the walkway and most likely cars, dogs and anything else Britt can find that appears to have dirt on it. Me + Ladders = NOPE

• Haha 3

Powerwashing the dog sounds unkind...

Poor pupper.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The adjuster will be here in about 20 minutes.  Those who know Jim will know what I mean when I say I almost feel sorry for them. He will definitely bust some balls.  We have Progressive.  Probably over insured but I did that up north, too.  

I always get flood & water damage insurance. I have had water in basement, as did my father and indeed his father before him.  My daughter has had water damage as well. As for my grandkids, it is their destiny. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I always get flood & water damage insurance. I have had water in basement, as did my father and indeed his father before him.  My daughter has had water damage as well. As for my grandkids, it is their destiny. 

Heh.

This reminds me when I was house sitting for someone who regularly had some water incursions in their basement during heavy rains.  So I was warned to be ready to check that things on blocks were up high enough and that the sump pump was running.  

While I was there we had the remnants of a hurricane go over and all the attendant rains. I texted back and forth a lot trying to pin point "where should the water becoming in?"  Cause every wall and floor down there was dry to the touch.  

They come back and it rained hard in January and...water down the one wall to the sump pump again.

Her husband was a researcher on Black Atlantic religions and just looked over his book and said, "Well of course, the water spirits are always female and going to commune with you.  If it's just him here...they've got no reason to linger unless they're mad at him or something."  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Heh.

This reminds me when I was house sitting for someone who regularly had some water incursions in their basement during heavy rains.  So I was warned to be ready to check that things on blocks were up high enough and that the sump pump was running.  

While I was there we had the remnants of a hurricane go over and all the attendant rains. I texted back and forth a lot trying to pin point "where should the water becoming in?"  Cause every wall and floor down there was dry to the touch.  

They come back and it rained hard in January and...water down the one wall to the sump pump again.

Her husband was a researcher on Black Atlantic religions and just looked over his book and said, "Well of course, the water spirits are always female and going to commune with you.  If it's just him here...they've got no reason to linger unless they're mad at him or something."  

So weird story. Chattanooga, TN. sits in a valley which is HEAVILY suspect for flooding. I live at the base of Missionary Ridge where the battlefield hospitals were set up during the Battle For Chattanooga (creepy, I know...) All of the water comes down from the ridge and seems to flow DIRECTLY into my yard. When my house was rebuilt (kit home but not a Craftsman,) they set lead pipes through the foundation walls at 1ft, 2ft and 3ft. As the water would come rushing into the basement, it would then shoot out of these pipes into a giant culvert that led further down the ridge into a dry zone. It's really weird. I have never in my life seen anything like it ANYWHERE but in this area of Chatty. All of the homes were built by the same company in 1939 and they're all kit homes (probably because of the railroad. 

Just out of curiosity, with the vast wisdom of this online community, if you have ever heard of this kind of thing, let me know. I am fascinated by old houses. 

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

So weird story. Chattanooga, TN. sits in a valley which is HEAVILY suspect for flooding. I live at the base of Missionary Ridge where the battlefield hospitals were set up during the Battle For Chattanooga (creepy, I know...) All of the water comes down from the ridge and seems to flow DIRECTLY into my yard. When my house was rebuilt (kit home but not a Craftsman,) they set lead pipes through the foundation walls at 1ft, 2ft and 3ft. As the water would come rushing into the basement, it would then shoot out of these pipes into a giant culvert that led further down the ridge into a dry zone. It's really weird. I have never in my life seen anything like it ANYWHERE but in this area of Chatty. All of the homes were built by the same company in 1939 and they're all kit homes (probably because of the railroad. 

Just out of curiosity, with the vast wisdom of this online community, if you have ever heard of this kind of thing, let me know. I am fascinated by old houses. 

Oh that is interesting.  By this do you mean the basement was effectively a catchment that then expelled the water?  Or was it intended to have the pipes be a passthrough that would not fill the basement (something that would break down eventually if it worked at all).   Either way, that's sort of a novel attempt at building in hilly areas!

Building in hilly places tends to be tricky, there's typically a spot where water historically paths and woe be to the person who tries to build there, eventually water finds its way through all solutions it seems.  A few summers ago I was on a volunteer team in the hills of eastern Kentucky working on reflooring part of a house for an elderly woman whose husband had built the house by hand. Getting under the house I'd seen what a wild job of innovation he'd done for where the water coming down the hill would pass under the house.  For the most part, it seemed to work for a fair long time. But time and increased rainfall and run off after the hills behind were 'topped' by mining had taken its toll.  When setting the house for the new floor with a house jack, we were able to see under the other part of the house and ... frankly, her best bet would to be building a new house on the front lawn then taking that thing down at this point and putting in a retaining/redirection wall and French drain.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I am on edge of Yorktown Battlefield; we say George Washington’s outhouse was in front yard.  

• Haha 1