Breaking ranks???

I went to a high school band show the other day and at the end of (pretty much?) all shows they do this thing called "breaking ranks" where every band just gets to celebrate together, they play their school songs, sometimes they even play songs with other bands. It's awesome. At the one I just went to they opened the gates so spectators could come onto the field to celebrate with the bands. I got to meet up with people from my high school band, everyone was so sweet and said they missed me very much.

I wanted to know, do they ever break ranks in DCI? I've never seen any video footage of that. And if they do, can spectators come on the field? I think I would just absolutely die being surrounded by some of my favorite musical groups ever.

A portion of Star of Indiana's 1993 post-retreat concert for the World Champion Cadets is on YouTube, if you'd like an example of this. It was raw, we did not play our best musically speaking, but it was emotional and powerful, and the Cadets loved it.

Losing by 0.1 will bring that out of a corps.

They broke ranks when they did the tour of champions in Pasadena after DCI around 2004 or so...

Edited by jjeffeory

38 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Yes.Tour Of Champions (TOC) was the brainchild of the G7. The best of TOC’s began around 2011 and consisted of pre-shows, encores and bringing the marching members in close proximity to fans. 

Apologies for OT. Genuine question for those of you with a better grip on history. Was the TOC I marched in 04 a prototype for what it became the following decade?

I was under the impression that 04 was the first time corps had been asked to march their shows after finals. We weren't a fan of that, in particular. It seems like the TOC that others are talking about is different...

As for breaking ranks, we were intense about it in my high school... and SCV was very very very strict about it. I have a humiliating breaking ranks story that I witnessed, but that I don't have consent to share. Suffice to say that members should be encouraged to break ranks when their personal health or dignity are at risk. I would've loved to meet my corps' fans at any point when I marched but it never happened. Gotta get to that next housing site....

14 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Apologies for OT. Genuine question for those of you with a better grip on history. Was the TOC I marched in 04 a prototype for what it became the following decade?

I was under the impression that 04 was the first time corps had been asked to march their shows after finals. We weren't a fan of that, in particular. It seems like the TOC that others are talking about is different...

The '04 post DCI tour was about acknowledging that Finals was a week earlier than usual, and that California needed some love. The combined corps performances were designed to make it feel more special (since the champs had already been crowned, there was no suspense left in the performances), but the hoop-do-do was definitely a model for what the original TOC shows were supposed to be.

(In reality, the first gen TOC shows in 2011 were joyless when it came to instant encores, etc, and nobody really missed it when they stopped.)

Edited by Slingerland
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Funny how the same phrase morphs into a different meaning over time.  

I thought the same thing. Try breaking BAC's (or anyone's) ranks in the 60s or 70s. You'd be telling the story of what happened from the ER. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2