Breaking ranks???

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

As mentioned by a DCP poster above, " breaking ranks " means different things to different people, and at different times/ circumstances.

This is a pic of the I.C. Reveries ( Revere, Ma. ) at the 1966 VFW Nationals Championships on the Starting Line on Finals Night.  They were not happy with their prelims score that kept them out of TOP 12 Finals, so in uniform on Finals Night, George Bonfiglio , Reveries Mgr  , proceeded to have his Corps " break ranks "  of the Finals Night performance order ranking position of the Racine Scouts , (that made Finals,) outside the stadium, and to march ahead of them into the stadium ( Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, N.J. ) ,. Then as protestors, proceed to do a " sit down " strike and demand they be allowed to be performed and scored by the Finals Night judging panel. ( after 15 minute delay, VFW Nationals Championships officials allowed them to perform in exhibition, but not scored ).

gb3aedjsoej31.jpg

Geez, even before my time. What was the Finalists corps' reactions? 

2 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Geez, even before my time. What was the Finalists corps' reactions? 

Depended on the Corps . Back then , Corps tended to be a bit more territorial , so for example , corps based in  the east tended to be a bit more supportive of what they did, while midwestern based corps , tended to not support what they did .But thats  just a  generalization however . It really ran the gamut for reactions at the time from fans, Corps . Even within the IC Reveries org themselves there was difference of opinion on doing what they chose to do . 

Edited by Boss Anova

A lot of eastern corps back then were some tough cookies, hence my previous comment on BAC. I think they did their recruiting at Shawshank. 

By the way, that photographer, Moe Knox. He was a legend in the 60s and 70s, even in the mid-west where I marched. Seemed like every photo you ever saw in DCW or DC News had his credit on it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

A lot of eastern corps back then were some tough cookies, hence my previous comment on BAC. I think they did their recruiting at Shawshank. 

By the way, that photographer, Moe Knox. He was a legend in the 60s and 70s, even in the mid-west where I marched. Seemed like every photo you ever saw in DCW or DC News had his credit on it. 

It took WAY too long for the DRUM corps community to come around and recognize the immense contribution made by Moe Knox. it took them an unnecessary long time to elect him to the HOF, imo.  40 years. He finally was properly recognized for his work in 2008, with his induction into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame that year.  His work is for posterity. He never made a profit for his thousands of pictures he took over the years either. It was simply a labor of love. Anyway, back to the thread topic.....

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 5

On 10/5/2022 at 9:00 PM, OldSnareDrummer said:

I thought the same thing. Try breaking BAC's (or anyone's) ranks in the 60s or 70s. You'd be telling the story of what happened from the ER. 

Exactly! We were taught even in the 80's that breaking ranks leads to broken bones. Just sayin'

• Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 8:00 AM, Boss Anova said:

As mentioned by a DCP poster above, " breaking ranks " means different things to different people, and at different times/ circumstances.

This is a pic of the I.C. Reveries ( Revere, Ma. ) at the 1966 VFW Nationals Championships on the Starting Line on Finals Night.  They were not happy with their prelims score that kept them out of TOP 12 Finals, so in uniform on Finals Night, George Bonfiglio , Reveries Mgr  , proceeded to have his Corps " break ranks "  of the Finals Night performance order ranking position of the Racine Scouts , (that made Finals,) outside the stadium, and to march ahead of them into the stadium ( Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, N.J. ) ,. Then as protestors, proceed to do a " sit down " strike and demand they be allowed to be performed and scored by the Finals Night judging panel. ( after 15 minute delay, VFW Nationals Championships officials allowed them to perform in exhibition, but not scored ).

gb3aedjsoej31.jpg

How did I not know about this!!??  I always thought Garfield were the original protestors with their "damed dirty hippy" peace sign.  

On 10/7/2022 at 11:00 AM, Boss Anova said:

gb3aedjsoej31.jpg

Well, you know about those Bonfiglios…😎

This is kind of an example of "breaking ranks" from my marching days.  (Devante Adams shoved a camera man as he enters the tunnel at the end of the game.)

He was clearly out of line & I'm sure he'll be fined this morning by the front office. Camera man will probably get a nice settlement as well.  (Morgan & Morgan?)

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

3 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

This is kind of an example of "breaking ranks" from my marching days.  (Devante Adams shoved a camera man as he enters the tunnel at the end of the game.)

He was clearly out of line & I'm sure he'll be fined this morning by the front office. Camera man will probably get a nice settlement as well.  (Morgan & Morgan?)

Remember this from ~11 years ago?

• Haha 1

On 10/5/2022 at 9:57 PM, Sutasaurus said:

While, it never came to physical violence, Regiment blocked people from breaking our ranks. Even in Lynn, MA BITD. You have to understand what “Breaking the Ranks” really means. This didn’t have to do with retreat, it had to do with corps in formation to enter the stadium or setting up for whatever in a unit. Fans, locals, who wanted “cut through” the ranks to get anywhere. No, no, no, you walk around a corps “in formation” To me equates “breaking ranks”. Can I get an “Amen” from my peers?

KVG_DC has come the closest. Thank you.

Amen!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1