Now THAT is a fee!

Hey all....I post these things from time to time only to provide some context for all of us, with most World Class drum corps somewhere around $5000 in membership/tour fees at present. 

Just saw an ad for "Camp Wildwood", a sleepover camp for boys in Bridgton, Maine.   It's in the woods and on a lake, so you can imagine lots of swimming, boating, fishing, hiking, etc and bunkhouse sleeping.  They are currently taking reservations for Summer 2023.  The four week camp is $10,500 and the seven week camp is $15,500. Feel free to Google it if you  like.  In my view, $5000 for 10 weeks in DCI is still a deal.

30 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I think those camps are set up to get rid of their spoiled kids so the rich parents can have a peaceful summer smoking the 'devil's lettuce'. :spitting: 

https://www.campwildwood.com/dates-rates

I worked at one of these type camps one summer.  At least 1/2 the campers came straight from their boarding schools.  A few of the lucky ones had a parent actually drop them off.  You could also tell with a few that it was the first time in their life they had been told ‘no’ to something.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I think those camps are set up to get rid of their spoiled kids so the rich parents can have a peaceful summer smoking the 'devil's lettuce'. :spitting: 

https://www.campwildwood.com/dates-rates

Quote of the month!

• Haha 2

Even though it less than 45 minutes from me, I have never been there, so I don't know where those kids come from or what their financial backgrounds are. I only posted it to show what else is out there fir kids and their parents to spend money on for summer activities. 

• Like 1

"And even if we win, if we win, HAH! Even if we win! Even if we play so far above our heads that our noses bleed for a week to ten days; even if God in Heaven above comes down and points his hand at our side of the field; even if every man woman and child held hands together and prayed for us to win, it just wouldn't matter because all the really good looking girls would still go out with the guys from Mohawk because they've got all the money! It just doesn't matter if we win or we lose. IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!" - Tripper (Bill Murray) - Meatballs

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

Even the most elite of soccer academies in STL (one of the best in the country) is just a few thousand more that the average summer tour cost. There has to be a reckoning soon.

How so? It’s the cost of doing business and those costs are only going to increase. DCI/ individual corps need to step up their scholarship game to offer financial assistance to MMs. I’m sure there are some very successful alumni who could afford to help. A better approach to cultivating donors could bring in significant dollars. A monthly donation program or estate planning efforts are a good place to start.

Just now, Sutasaurus said:

How so? It’s the cost of doing business and those costs are only going to increase. DCI/ individual corps need to step up their scholarship game to offer financial assistance to MMs. I’m sure there are some very successful alumni who could afford to help. A better approach to cultivating donors could bring in significant dollars. A monthly donation program or estate planning efforts are a good place to start.

There are people that will not be able to afford to participate, the activity will soon be only available to the affluent and may already be there. I understand the sum of its parts have all gone up and need to pass the costs down hill. The orgs cannot expect alumni, private donations to lower the costs.