New Locations for World Championships after 2028?

Earlier today, the NFL Franchise behind the Tennessee Titans released renderings of a brand-new, 60k-capacity stadium for the city of Nashville. As a Tennessean myself, it's hard not be excited at what looks like a state-of-the-art stadium and the prospect of more events coming to our state. If you'd like, you can check out the renderings at: https://www.tennesseetitans.com/news/titans-release-renderings-of-proposed-new-stadium

This all had me thinking about the possibility of DCI having World Championships in Nashville following the end of the contract with Lucas Oil in 2028. For biased, I'd love to see DCI have World Championships in Nashville. It's a match made in heaven: it's closer to Texas and in the Southeastern United States where marching band is generally a bit more significant and serious culturally while being close enough to the Midwest and Northeast to keep historical and cultural connections, it's more centrally located for almost all of the member corps (with the exception of corps west of the Rocky Mountains), it's a state-of-the-art stadium in one of the fastest growing and nicest cities in the country, and you'd be able to have DCI World Championships in a city literally nicknamed "Music City". Doesn't get much better than all that. 

Regardless, if DCI decides to not extend their contract for World Championships with Lucas Oil past 2028 and DCI still exists (since that seems up in the air these days), where could you see DCI moving Championships? Would we return to a new location every year (although that seems economically infeasible), see another contract signed with a stadium somewhere else in the country, or maybe a combination of the two where DCI signs shorter contracts with multiple places?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, college-phan said:

Earlier today, the NFL Franchise behind the Tennessee Titans released renderings of a brand-new, 60k-capacity stadium for the city of Nashville. As a Tennessean myself, it's hard not be excited at what looks like a state-of-the-art stadium and the prospect of more events coming to our state. If you'd like, you can check out the renderings at: https://www.tennesseetitans.com/news/titans-release-renderings-of-proposed-new-stadium

This all had me thinking about the possibility of DCI having World Championships in Nashville following the end of the contract with Lucas Oil in 2028. For biased, I'd love to see DCI have World Championships in Nashville. It's a match made in heaven: it's closer to Texas and in the Southeastern United States where marching band is generally a bit more significant and serious culturally while being close enough to the Midwest and Northeast to keep historical and cultural connections, it's more centrally located for almost all of the member corps (with the exception of corps west of the Rocky Mountains), it's a state-of-the-art stadium in one of the fastest growing and nicest cities in the country, and you'd be able to have DCI World Championships in a city literally nicknamed "Music City". Doesn't get much better than all that. 

Regardless, if DCI decides to not extend their contract for World Championships with Lucas Oil past 2028 and DCI still exists (since that seems up in the air these days), where could you see DCI moving Championships? Would we return to a new location every year (although that seems economically infeasible), see another contract signed with a stadium somewhere else in the country, or maybe a combination of the two where DCI signs shorter contracts with multiple places?

One of the challenges will be holding championships in a part of the country where school has not resumed yet. Some districts in Texas start the first week of August, with band camp the preceding 3 weeks. 

Another concern would be proximity to the DCI HQ. I imagine being able to visit Lucas Oil every couple of weeks is part of what makes it an attractive venue. DCI would have to be willing to either forgo that convenience or move or set up a regional office.

22 minutes ago, college-phan said:

Unless another city can match the deal DCI gets from the city of Indy & Marion county, its staying for a long, long time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, contraguard05 said:

A more interesting conversation might be where does DCI go if Indianapolis stops being such a hospitable environment?

It will depend on who owns the venue...is it municipally owned or is it owned by the primary tenant (NFL/NCAA team). LOS is municipally owned, hence the ability to offer LOS at such a reduced price. Some NFL owners charge mid to upper 6 figures per day for facility use. 

48 minutes ago, contraguard05 said:

One of the challenges will be holding championships in a part of the country where school has not resumed yet. Some districts in Texas start the first week of August, with band camp the preceding 3 weeks. 

Another concern would be proximity to the DCI HQ. I imagine being able to visit Lucas Oil every couple of weeks is part of what makes it an attractive venue. DCI would have to be willing to either forgo that convenience or move or set up a regional office.

School in Indy & surrounding area already start in early Aug so that isn’t a valid argument for staying there.  DCI HQ shares a small office building near airport.  Not hard to move. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

Unless another city can match the deal DCI gets from the city of Indy & Marion county, its staying for a long, long time

This exactly

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

It will depend on who owns the venue...is it municipally owned or is it owned by the primary tenant (NFL/NCAA team). LOS is municipally owned, hence the ability to offer LOS at such a reduced price. Some NFL owners charge mid to upper 6 figures per day for facility use. 

And the municipality rakes in the taxes from those attending from hotel, food, shopping etc