New Locations for World Championships after 2028?

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

$$$ is everything. like DCA going back to Rochester...the best you can get for the least

$$$ and schedule.   You can't stay in many places because the tour schedule is built around several guaranteed (See also DOMED shows) and many repeat show operators, ( the same people every year willing to pony up big money for a gamble on return... even open class where you don't have to pay any corps... you still have show costs, management, ops, etc)   and schools are now incredibly hard to book space with.  (this is by design for safety and revenue)

Now, indy is already problematic because schools are in session by the time DCI rolls into town.  Ask each corps where they stay and why?  Notice how many are in hotels, notice where their practice facilities are and how much they cost. Few use schools.  This is for cost as well as ease of use.  (Schools and security are increasingly problematic and for good reason)

However indy is the deal that the local HQ works easiest with.  

Keep in mind, "state of the art" stadiums are for first sports and tv production, and second for concerts and filming.  Events which use ALL of the stadium, and can need ease of getting 20-30 semis to a dock, getting gear on/off a field, and hopefully hosting the super bowl. They can boast great back of house spaces for broadcast equipment, power supply, and have enough structural capacity to host KISS, U2, NCAA, NFL, and Smokin' Willie Nelson back to back to back.  State of the art is in regards to "we can host ESPN" not DCI. 
Band, weddings, bah mitzvahs, and everything else the sales office cares very little for, and aren't factored into this.  

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

And little to no rental fees.

Mike

there's a fee.  there's far too many people and power needed to make this venue operate for it to be a freebie.   But it's still likely less than they'd pay in another state, or even in another city.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DWW11 said:

And what would that do to touring schedules?  The corps drive up from Winston-Salem to Allentown, and then right back to Nashville?  Folks in Pittsburgh and Ohio lose their shows?

I don’t imagine it would change that. But I highly doubt dci would get the financial deal. Indy has become the band/ corps capital like Dayton has with indoor 

• Like 3

I would hope before they would sign another long term deal they would have one year of DCI in Southern California.  I would have included northern CA too, but I cannot think of a great stadium to host.  I have been to the Niner's stadium and it is just too open to the elements.  It has especially strong wind bursts in the evening. The new Rams/Chargers stadium can be a closed roof situation.  The California corps, since they represent 1/4 of the top 12, deserve DCI to at least discuss holding Finals one more time out west.  I know that the beautiful new stadium in LA might be too expensive, but Las Vegas would still be west enough, and the Raiders have a nice brand new indoor stadium.  I know it is hard for many corps to go west for financial reasons, but the 3 corps from CA and the 1 from Colorado (a perennial top 12 corps until 2022) have to spend the most money every year on travel.  If you now count the Troopers and the Academy 6 of the top 16 World Class corps are in the western part of the USA.  Please DCI, if you can, throw us westerners a bone!

Edited by jmc5682
spelling
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

I would hope before they would sign another long term deal they would have one year of DCI in Southern California.  I would have included northern CA too, but I cannot think of a great stadium to host.  I have been to the Niner's stadium and it is just too open to the elements.  It has especially strong wind bursts in the evening. The new Rams/Chargers stadium can be a closed roof situation.  The California corps, since they represent 1/4 of the top 12, deserve DCI to at least discuss holding Finals one more time out west.  I know that the beautiful new stadium in LA might be too expensive, but Las Vegas would still be west enough, and the Raiders have a nice brand new indoor stadium.  I know it is hard for many corps to go west for financial reasons, but the 3 corps from CA and the 1 from Colorado (a perennial top 12 corps until 2022) have to spend the most money every year on travel.  If you now count the Troopers and the Academy 6 of the top 16 World Class corps are in the western part of the USA.  Please DCI, if you can, throw us westerners a bone!

submit a bid. Any pro facility without a working relationship with DCI is going to cost a fortune

3 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

LA will host the Olympics in 2028. As to what new venues and infrastructure go into the city while hosting, could be interesting. Perhaps a renovation to both the Rose Bowl and LA Coliseum will happen. Specifically the LA Coliseum in order host the ceremonies as well as track and field events. We will see. 

Regarding the quote that nearly half of the Top 12 is currently from the west…Let’s not forget what 2007 did in terms of creating new corps, and even reuniting old ones .

From having finals at the Rose Bowl in 2007, it coincided with new corps emerging. VK, City Sound, Incognito, and what was then Hawthorne Gold, came into being. They joined Impulse, and the Nor Cal cadet corps of BD and SCV. Later iterations of those corps with staff from creative teams are present in a thriving Western Open Class today. One that holds its own western corps/ Pacific open class championship. 

And what did it do for the Alumni and all age corps? The Blue Devils had an alumni corps perform at the Stanford show that year. And of course, The Kingsmen Alumni Corps took the field at DCI semifinals. Of greater outcome to that corps, many caught the drum corps bug once again and continued past the Semifinals performance. The Kingsmen went on in 2009 to field an all age corps. It was, sadly, the corps only year.   But members  from that corps went on to  SoCal Dream, Renegades, and the Freelancers Alumni.  

All of this was something glorious we got from just one year with finals in California. Of course we would love to see it back. Could we match the corps created and the alumni who picked up their horns again and formed their own groups post the experience?

Perhaps. 

I personally would love to see a VK Alumni corps once again take the field, at home, as the Kingsmen did. I’d like to see Gold, Watchmen, Vessel, and other California, Oregon, Utah, and Washington  Open Class corps be able to say, march finals “at home” this year ; Join Us!  And we say DCA needs to thrive again..what if all age made a comeback in Cali because of an expanded DCI schedule giving so much exposure to a new group? 
We haven’t even touched the tip of Soundsport and Drumline Battle events. Imagine the interest you could get regionally in California, which could never be present in Indy? 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jmc5682 said:

I am a diehard Niners fan and have been to tons of games at Levi's stadium. I can confirm you are 100% correct. Levi's isn't DCI friendly. 

My Niners second home stadium, SoFi in LA could work. 

Finals in Vegas would be legit. 

• Thanks 1