New Locations for World Championships after 2028?

12 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

What happens if LOS owners decide they want more $$ for use of stadium, or, perhaps worse, decide they don’t want DCI & BOA to use the stadium at all once current contract runs out?  

i believe the tourism bureau is involved in the deal, which helps DCI out. but DCI does have a contract, so they probably have terms that require advance notification of material changes. i'd also imagine they start renegotiating earlier than later.

3 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Actually ,going to natural grass turf may have more impacts then this.

I design both synthetic and natural grass fields.

One of the benefits of synthetic turf is that it can be used right after it rains.

Try to do  that with grass , and you have damage, it can be a real mess.

Natural grass also requires constant care.

What I worry about, if places go to natural grass, they may not want to risk "damage" or 

more "wear and tear" then it would already get.

So they could just say no Drum Corps.

natural grass in an enclosed stadium is a nightmare. it's how Astroturf came to be...because of the disaster trying to have real grass in the Astrodome turned out

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

natural grass in an enclosed stadium is a nightmare. it's how Astroturf came to be...because of the disaster trying to have real grass in the Astrodome turned out

NFL players and coaches are speaking out right now about getting rid of turf because of injuries linked to it. Personally, I agree with them. 

I think out of the 30 NFL stadiums, roughly 14 are turf (don't quote me on that). Hopefully it changes soon to all grass. 

32 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

NFL players and coaches are speaking out right now about getting rid of turf because of injuries linked to it. Personally, I agree with them. 

I think out of the 30 NFL stadiums, roughly 14 are turf (don't quote me on that). Hopefully it changes soon to all grass. 

As I said, I design both natural and synthetic turf.

I can't speak on pro fields.

But one of the biggest problems with synthetic turf is that it is not properly maintained.

Especially high school and recreational fields.

The turf needs to be "groomed" regularly including replacing "infill" when needed.

A turf's hardness is based on what is know as "Gmax".

Again, Gmax needs to be tested regularly and adjusted, as needed.

In my experience, we haven't seen appreciable differences in injuries between properly

maintained natural and synthetic turf.

One thing I've found is that, during a season, the condition of natural turf, especially

in the Northeast where I  work, deteriorates as the season progresses.

It can be really bad when the weather gets cold.

Another problem with natural turf is that is has to "recover" between uses.

That means not using it more then 3 days (alternating) a week, including for

practice.

Not many schools or rec groups will  do that.

Edited by rpbobcat

39 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Arizona solved the problem with "roll out" natural grass.

16 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

As I said, I design both natural and synthetic turf.

I can't speak on pro fields.

But one of the biggest problems with synthetic turf is that it is not properly maintained.

Especially high school and recreational fields.

The turf needs to be "groomed" regularly including replacing "infill" when needed.

A turf's hardness is based on what is know as "Gmax".

Again, Gmax needs to be tested regularly and adjusted, as needed.

In my experience, we haven't seen appreciable differences in injuries between properly

maintained natural and synthetic turf.

One thing I've found is that, during a season, the condition of natural turf, especially

in the Northeast where I  work, deteriorates as the season progresses.

It can be really bad when the weather gets cold.

Another problem with natural turf is that is has to "recover" between uses.

That means not using it more then 3 days (alternating) a week, including for

practice.

Not many schools or rec groups will  do that.

Iirc there are specific grass strains developed for indoor sporting fields; is this correct?

43 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Iirc there are specific grass strains developed for indoor sporting fields; is this correct?

I've never worked on an indoor natural grass field, so I don't know.

DCI was extremely lucky that a finals was never rained out. 36 years lucky. 1972-2008.  Almost happened at the first one in 72--the strong thunderstorm that cancelled the finale, and spoiled Anaheims upset victory run, arrived just after the last corps performance. Blue Stars would probably have been declared the winner, since they had won semi-finals. No quarter-finals in the early 70's. 

Edited by Phantom56
Spelling

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

DCI was extremely lucky that a finals was never rained out. 36 years lucky. 1972-2008.  Almost happened at the first one in 72--the strong thunderstorm that cancelled the finale, and spoiled Anaheims upset victory run, arrived just after the last corps performance. Blue Stars would probably have been declared the winner, since they had won semi-finals. No quarter-finals in the early 70's. 

Blue Stars were really-really good, but no one was going to touch us that night.  We were on fire.  Even the "evil one" said so.  

But as to the topic of this thread........it was fun having Finals in different cities each year and there is no more of a boring big city than Indianapolis.  Lucas isn't the best either.  However, the activity isn't exactly rolling in money, the rent is cheap, and it's centrally located.  It gets the job done.  Keep it there unless they jack up the rent.  

• Like 2

Yea, Anaheim was on fire Saturday night, and deserved the title. We spectactors were told to get out of the stadium, just as the finale was getting going. The rain and lightning continued for a long time. Finals tickets were around $15 in 1972.  I would't go to an open-air finals today, with the three night ticket package priced at nearly $400. 

• Like 2