New Locations for World Championships after 2028?

17 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

Yea, Anaheim was on fire Saturday night, and deserved the title. We spectactors were told to get out of the stadium, just as the finale was getting going. The rain and lightning continued for a long time. Finals tickets were around $15 in 1972.  I would't go to an open-air finals today, with the three night ticket package priced at nearly $400. 

Mine says $4.50 on it and the center seats were $6. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Mine says $4.50 on it and the center seats were $6. 

Yep, still have the ticket stub. That was kinda pricey in 1972.  A week's worth of all the neighbor's lawn mowing for me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thinking Las Vegas would be awesome.....now that they have a dome.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Yep, still have the ticket stub. That was kinda pricey in 1972.  A week's worth of all the neighbor's lawn mowing for me. 

I got a participant’s  pass for prelims but I had to pony up for finals.  I had to get section F because I was poor. It was only $7 a month to be in the corps or else I wouldn’t have been in at all.  My parents made a lot of sacrifices for me to be in band, have private lessons, and be in drum corps all at the same time. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I got a participant’s  pass for prelims but I had to pony up for finals.  I had to get section F because I was poor. It was only $7 a month to be in the corps or else I wouldn’t have been in at all.  My parents made a lot of sacrifices for me to be in band, have private lessons, and be in drum corps all at the same time. 

Your parents probably, and mine both grew up in the Depression and went through WWII. They don't call it The Greatest Generation for nothing. They created the word sacrifice. 

• Like 5

I see very little chance of DCI moving finals unless something big and bad happens to the relationship with Indy. Also, as far as the comments about the new Buffalo stadium:

1) DCI already announced next year's tour will be similar to this year's. That kind of suggests no New York shows at all again. 

2) I doubt DCI ever puts finals outside again when they can have a for sure weekend of profits from an indoor stadium. 

All this being said, my dream? Move finals to Atlanta in the Mercedes Benz Stadium. The acoustics in there were amazing for drum corps. Way better than they sound in Indy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I see very little chance of DCI moving finals unless something big and bad happens to the relationship with Indy. Also, as far as the comments about the new Buffalo stadium:

1) DCI already announced next year's tour will be similar to this year's. That kind of suggests no New York shows at all again. 

2) I doubt DCI ever puts finals outside again when they can have a for sure weekend of profits from an indoor stadium. 

All this being said, my dream? Move finals to Atlanta in the Mercedes Benz Stadium. The acoustics in there were amazing for drum corps. Way better than they sound in Indy. 

I agree you will not see finals leave Indy anytime too soon due to both contract and the ongoing relationship. Indy is not an August destination area so DCI would be a boost for Downtown Indy. My understanding is it’s a great fit for BOA too. I have never been to Grand Nationals but people who have said it’s family oriented and lots of parents and siblings attend. They don’t stay at LOS after their kids perform except for finals and often do touristy things. We may have our critiques of DCI but my guess is they’d be an ideal group to work with from year to year. There is a good audience, the crowd is manageable and with the exception of a few fisticuffs incidents not all that rowdy. 

I think you’re correct about New York shows. I’m hearing rumblings about another New England show, but the former Bristol later Cranston show has been rumored to return and it hasn’t and the same is true for the BAC show prior to Allentown, so an additional show may be wishful thinking. A Buffalo show after Allentown could work. Last year there was a Pittsburg show on the way to Indy. Pittsburg is a great 5 1/2 hour trip, Buffalo a 6 3/4which is not a huge time difference. That being said, DCI does not consult me on the tour schedule.