New Locations for World Championships after 2028?

14 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

I dont really recall it raining anytime in August, but tbf I have been on the road the past five years away from Texas during that time so I could be mistaken.
Only issue would be the heat, but IMO thats probably enough to not want to do finals in Texas. Even though this is just a pipe dream of mine. 

Agreed. There have been plenty of precarious show starts in TX the past few years related to heat. Either start time bumps or cancellations. 

Probability of precipitation for College Station in mid-August sits around 22% and Indy is around 34%.

But the heat around there would be the argument for indoors. 

tRCzix1.png

tZtvAjR.png

17 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

I dont really recall it raining anytime in August, but tbf I have been on the road the past five years away from Texas during that time so I could be mistaken.
Only issue would be the heat, but IMO thats probably enough to not want to do finals in Texas. Even though this is just a pipe dream of mine. 

Overall the weather has been good any time I’ve been in Indy, but there are exceptions.

In 2012 there was an unpredicted thunderstorm with high winds that knocked down a stage at the Indiana State Fair (about five miles away) that killed at least one person.

in 2013 it rained on Friday and Saturday.

in 2016 it rained all day on Saturday though it cleared for the evening.

26 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

Don't know about Texas.

But there have been issues with weather at outdoor venues.

Off the top of my head, Buffalo and Mississippi come to mind.

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I am a diehard Niners fan and have been to tons of games at Levi's stadium. I can confirm you are 100% correct. Levi's isn't DCI friendly. 

My Niners second home stadium, SoFi in LA could work. 

Finals in Vegas would be legit. 

Careful. The forum gatekeepers will jump your case for having the gall to suggest DCI host a show anywhere it gets near 100 degrees, even though it would be indoors, and per a Vegas resident who posted a few years ago on a thread about having a Vegas show, it's during the slow season for conventions and there would be lots of unused convention space that could be adapted for indoor rehearsals.

• Haha 2

there's too much money on the line for DCI to risk an outdoor space for the flagship event as well as the schedule and reschedulin. there's also the main inhabitant of the space being rented (college, or professional) that likely has a 50% chance of game scheduled for the next day.   So pushing into sunday for the event means you either lose revenue on the day, you refund tix of those who can't attend from no fault of their own, and you then cancel your flagship event in case of that priority resident having an event that makes WAY more money. 

I don't think 2nd weekend in August is filled with too many football games. Years ago when DCI was later in the month that could have been an issue, may be why they moved DCI a week earlier.

22 hours ago, Dmlkmen said:

LA will host the Olympics in 2028. As to what new venues and infrastructure go into the city while hosting, could be interesting. Perhaps a renovation to both the Rose Bowl and LA Coliseum will happen. Specifically the LA Coliseum in order host the ceremonies as well as track and field events. We will see. 

Regarding the quote that nearly half of the Top 12 is currently from the west…Let’s not forget what 2007 did in terms of creating new corps, and even reuniting old ones .

From having finals at the Rose Bowl in 2007, it coincided with new corps emerging. VK, City Sound, Incognito, and what was then Hawthorne Gold, came into being. They joined Impulse, and the Nor Cal cadet corps of BD and SCV. Later iterations of those corps with staff from creative teams are present in a thriving Western Open Class today. One that holds its own western corps/ Pacific open class championship. 

And what did it do for the Alumni and all age corps? The Blue Devils had an alumni corps perform at the Stanford show that year. And of course, The Kingsmen Alumni Corps took the field at DCI semifinals. Of greater outcome to that corps, many caught the drum corps bug once again and continued past the Semifinals performance. The Kingsmen went on in 2009 to field an all age corps. It was, sadly, the corps only year.   But members  from that corps went on to  SoCal Dream, Renegades, and the Freelancers Alumni.  

All of this was something glorious we got from just one year with finals in California. Of course we would love to see it back. Could we match the corps created and the alumni who picked up their horns again and formed their own groups post the experience?

Perhaps. 

I personally would love to see a VK Alumni corps once again take the field, at home, as the Kingsmen did. I’d like to see Gold, Watchmen, Vessel, and other California, Oregon, Utah, and Washington  Open Class corps be able to say, march finals “at home” this year ; Join Us!  And we say DCA needs to thrive again..what if all age made a comeback in Cali because of an expanded DCI schedule giving so much exposure to a new group? 
We haven’t even touched the tip of Soundsport and Drumline Battle events. Imagine the interest you could get regionally in California, which could never be present in Indy? 

the problem with DCA coming back is that they have to go East for finals....and it aint cheap

10 hours ago, wolfgang said:

Careful. The forum gatekeepers will jump your case for having the gall to suggest DCI host a show anywhere it gets near 100 degrees, even though it would be indoors, and per a Vegas resident who posted a few years ago on a thread about having a Vegas show, it's during the slow season for conventions and there would be lots of unused convention space that could be adapted for indoor rehearsals.

you paying rental costs for said facilities?

8 hours ago, totaleefree said:

I don't think 2nd weekend in August is filled with too many football games. Years ago when DCI was later in the month that could have been an issue, may be why they moved DCI a week earlier.

preseason for the NFL. The Colts have had many games the day after Finals

• Like 1