Wilson Named Blue Stars Culinary Director

Good for  Blue Stars announcing they have a “culinary director” but why is this worthy of a major announcement? Is she a James Beard award winner?
Maybe it has to do with all the diversions on many threads focused on hunger issues/preferences?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

Good for  Blue Stars announcing they have a “culinary director” but why is this worthy of a major announcement? Is she a James Beard award winner?
Maybe it has to do with all the diversions on many threads focused on hunger issues/preferences?

It's all about setting the tone that Blue Stars is a good place to march, and that members will be well cared for and safe. 

While pretty much every corps is fed significantly better than years ago, there's still stories that come out almost every season about corps (singular and occasionally plural) that fall short on portion size and/or suitable food options.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

They announce minor caption heads, and the food crew has as much to do with keeping the kids marching and happy as the assistant color guard caption head. It shows that the corps cares about the wellbeing of the marchers. It also is rewarding someone for long term service.  This is a paid position but that recpgnition lets volunteers know that a corps appreciates their efforts. As a volunteer it means a lot to me that the food truck manager is a part of the corps structure.  I have been in spots with corps where I volunteer and wind up running to the store and spending a lot of money so the kids have something to eat when the food truck was an afterthought. ( this was not a top tier corps, I think this does not happen in world class anymore)   I think parents are interested in this because it lets them know the kids are being taken care of, at least in the food nutrition area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

How you feed your corps is directly related to how your corps performs. Also, 
-cooking for the different types of dietary needs is important. ( vegatarian, Vegan, gluten free and various food alergies) 
-Ordering food within a budget, 
-Planning and scheduling a menu, 
-Inventory of the food, 
- Incorperating leftover into snacks
-Using the food before it expires. 
-Cooking things that taste halfway decent. 
-Recruiting, training, and working with volunteers, 
-Cleaning the food truck and cooking utensils. 
-Disposal of trash and oils 
This is just a few things a food truck manager has to deal with. Oh! Have the corps change a meal time or split a meal time between sections at the last minute. And doing this with a positive motivating attitude. In 116 degree temps!

I got more if you want to hear it! 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Maybe the question should be why more corps don't make it a major announcement? This is a caption head level position that has as much - if not more - impact on the member experience during the summer. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, boxingfred said:

How you feed your corps is directly related to how your corps performs. Also, 
-cooking for the different types of dietary needs is important. ( vegatarian, Vegan, gluten free and various food alergies) 
-Ordering food within a budget, 
-Planning and scheduling a menu, 
-Inventory of the food, 
- Incorperating leftover into snacks
-Using the food before it expires. 
-Cooking things that taste halfway decent. 
-Recruiting, training, and working with volunteers, 
-Cleaning the food truck and cooking utensils. 
-Disposal of trash and oils 
This is just a few things a food truck manager has to deal with. Oh! Have the corps change a meal time or split a meal time between sections at the last minute. And doing this with a positive motivating attitude. In 116 degree temps!

I got more if you want to hear it! 

Thanks for your perspective. I spent four summer vacations on our food truck making sure the members had balanced, nutritionally sound meals. It never really warranted an announcement on DCP, it’s just what we did to keep the MMs healthy and well fed.