SafeSport is not a Magic Wand

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/34980693/rugby-referee-complaining-safesport-now-facing-punishment

The TLDR version - 

• Rugby ref complains another ref sexually harassed her verbally and physically.
  • He was open and admitted it, and was placed on probation for 6 months.  This was not recorded publicly, and he was not removed from any ref gigs.
  • SafeSport admitted they use "informal" resolutions for 22% of all sanctions to date, that are not reported in their database.  They told him he has to voluntarily disclose it to possible employers, but there is no mechanism to enforce it.
  • Victim felt this was not sufficient or fair, and continued to raise concerns to others in the rugby community.
  • SafeSport has now threatened to start a formal investigation of the victim, as they say she shared SafeSport documents regarding the investigation with others, and that by doing so she is engaging in "Emotional Misconduct: Stalking and Harassment" of the perpetrator.

I know this is sport related, but as SafeSport keeps getting brought into the DCI and marching arts world as a solution to problems of misconduct, it needs to be reminded that they've got their own problems going on as well.

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, MikeN said:

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/34980693/rugby-referee-complaining-safesport-now-facing-punishment

The TLDR version - 

• Rugby ref complains another ref sexually harassed her verbally and physically.
  • He was open and admitted it, and was placed on probation for 6 months.  This was not recorded publicly, and he was not removed from any ref gigs.
  • SafeSport admitted they use "informal" resolutions for 22% of all sanctions to date, that are not reported in their database.  They told him he has to voluntarily disclose it to possible employers, but there is no mechanism to enforce it.
  • Victim felt this was not sufficient or fair, and continued to raise concerns to others in the rugby community.
  • SafeSport has now threatened to start a formal investigation of the victim, as they say she shared SafeSport documents regarding the investigation with others, and that by doing so she is engaging in "Emotional Misconduct: Stalking and Harassment" of the perpetrator.

I know this is sport related, but as SafeSport keeps getting brought into the DCI and marching arts world as a solution to problems of misconduct, it needs to be reminded that they've got their own problems going on as well.

Mike

Unless you hit the bank account, no one will care.  

Yes this sounds harsh, yes its not fair.  

Yes it should be unacceptable.  However...   humans are monetized in sports, and in drum corps.   

If you experience assault, harassments, or mistreatment of any kind, please please please please please please call law enforcement and an attorney.  Do not wait, do not pass go.  Call them.   Until you set fire to the eco system, business will continue as usual. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Yes it should be unacceptable.  However...   humans are monetized in sports, and in drum corps.   

Correct... especially if we continue allowing safety to be plea-bargained away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

this should never happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

There should be a clause in each and every contract that says 'if we find out you were "sanctioned" it will be grounds for immediate termination'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

No system is perfect.  But, how does Drum Corps do better than what is currently done?

Stop passing the buck to the member organizations whenever something goes down. WGI released a statement in September stating that Diamante cannot participate in WGI events until certain actions are taken. I would not be surprised to hear that those actions involve Mario Ramirez being removed from the organization.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2022 at 9:56 AM, C.Holland said:

Until the full community is willing to accept what you wrote in bold, and can see lovingly see past all of the wonderful things that drum corps can bring into a person's life... we won't see change.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:56 AM, C.Holland said:

If you experience assault, harassments, or mistreatment of any kind, please please please please please please call law enforcement and an attorney.  Do not wait, do not pass go.  Call them.   Until you set fire to the eco system, business will continue as usual. 

This is above and beyond the best advice for survivors/victims, as confirmed by my own experience, my support of other survivors and my viewing of how reports have played out in the last year alone.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:42 PM, Jeff Ream said:

1000% red flags. This is how most arts nonprofits I've worked for have handled situations internally. Scary. I don't imagine DCI's new safeguarding position has enough agency to do much more.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:21 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

No system is perfect.  But, how does Drum Corps do better than what is currently done?

Similar to all the folks above said...

Until DCI, DCA and member orgs are willing to accept the fullness of the problem, and that safeguarding is more important than pretty much anything else they do, we won't see change.

Now, another stopgap would be to hire and safeguarding professional who has not been through the drum corps world. Give them the structure and agency to assess and provide strategic planning for organizational change. It's tough. It'll affect scores... which affects money. I get it. But no mistreated member is worth higher placement to me. Period. Safer members are 100% better than higher placing members.

But I **** guarantee that the members and prospective members will take notice and flood a corps that's got this figured out. I'm still looking for an example..................

Edit to add: apologies for filter circumvention, no ill will intended

Edited by scheherazadesghost
Filter circumvention
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, contraguard05 said:

Stop passing the buck to the member organizations whenever something goes down. WGI released a statement in September stating that Diamante cannot participate in WGI events until certain actions are taken. I would not be surprised to hear that those actions involve Mario Ramirez being removed from the organization.

DCI said no Pioneer with Blenskis involved.

• Like 1