SafeSport is not a Magic Wand

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Or it would give younger talent a chance to shine 

They don’t want the gamble. They’d take the gamble with the courts over a gamble of not getting kids in the door. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2022 at 5:21 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

No system is perfect.  But, how does Drum Corps do better than what is currently done?

Actually purge the board which enabled it, purge the individual, and take away their next season. Literally remove their ability to make money.  

students pay the fees for operations of these groups.  Can’t bring on students, can’t make money, can’t tour.  Next season start from scratch. 

Install an actual zero tolerance policy. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Actually purge the board which enabled it, purge the individual, and take away their next season. Literally remove their ability to make money.  

students pay the fees for operations of these groups.  Can’t bring on students, can’t make money, can’t tour.  Next season start from scratch. 

Install an actual zero tolerance policy. 

Agreed wholeheartedly.

While we're talking flying pigs, I still say take away the upcoming performance slot on tour if a report is even made. (I recognize anyone's concern about false or inaccurate reports, but again, if it's gotten to the level of someone feeling the need to report and getting past the stigma of reporting, it's too late for that org. They messed up already. The industry needs experienced safeguarding pros who can calmly suss through the reports that will inevitably happen when it's slow to purge repeated bad actors.) Corps (esp with mid season reports) have bigger fish to fry than cleaning drill or finishing the closer.

Lord knows we were punished as a corps at SC for far pettier things by our director.

Zero tolerance with teeth.

The handful of folks on this forum with safeguarding experience are calling for strict zero tolerance because it doesn't seem to be getting better fast enough to safeguard ALL members in the industry.

The reality is, again, that there's no appetite for this in leadership so we're kinda just spinning our wheels. 🫠 Grateful as always for the discourse though.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Agreed wholeheartedly.

While we're talking flying pigs, I still say take away the upcoming performance slot on tour if a report is even made. (I recognize anyone's concern about false or inaccurate reports, but again, if it's gotten to the level of someone feeling the need to report and getting past the stigma of reporting, it's too late for that org. They messed up already. The industry needs experienced safeguarding pros who can calmly suss through the reports that will inevitably happen when it's slow to purge repeated bad actors.) Corps (esp with mid season reports) have bigger fish to fry than cleaning drill or finishing the closer.

Lord knows we were punished as a corps at SC for far pettier things by our director.

Zero tolerance with teeth.

The handful of folks on this forum with safeguarding experience are calling for strict zero tolerance because it doesn't seem to be getting better fast enough to safeguard ALL members in the industry.

The reality is, again, that there's no appetite for this in leadership so we're kinda just spinning our wheels. 🫠 Grateful as always for the discourse though.

I would agree. The thing about taking away the upcoming performance is wouldn't all of the corps have to agree to a policy with the kind of teeth that you are talking about here? I would also agree about the use of experienced safeguarding staff. That being said, those can't be an easy thing to find. For those of us with no safeguarding experience but a willingness to contribute in some way, the only opportunity to help and apply our personal skills is through useful discourse and constructive conversation. /shrug

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would agree. The thing about taking away the upcoming performance is wouldn't all of the corps have to agree to a policy with the kind of teeth that you are talking about here?

Yurp. Get the safeguarding professional in first with the institution before this even has a shot of flying. It's DCI's safeguarding role given enough agency? Have corps even implemented safeguarding roles?

I would also agree about the use of experienced safeguarding staff. That being said, those can't be an easy thing to find.

With corps experience, yes, probably. Outside pros/consultants no. There are orgs dedicated to outlining how to do this for industries that haven't implemented safeguarding yet. YPAD is an excellent example.

For those of us with no safeguarding experience but a willingness to contribute in some way, the only opportunity to help and apply our personal skills is through useful discourse and constructive conversation. /shrug

I think C Holland got this right too and your sentiments match. Folks in this category are crucial, without you/them/us, the industry can't create that integral first line of defense against those who would perpetuate harm. These folks rallied to build pressure on keeping Hopkins away this summer. Additional actions were taken to make sure there was follow through. But this rallying was a crucial part of that.

Basic training and solidifying the chain of command for reporting are that first lines of defense when institutional action is so flimsy.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
grammar
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 12:58 AM, 84BDsop said:

One of the rare times DCI has actually put it's foot down.

USA Fencing HAS banned a number of people -- mostly for sexual issues --  https://www.usafencing.org/ineligible-suspended-list

DCI needs to stop protecting it's own when they cross the line.

DCI MUST have a policy for their show staff and administration to follow. Including dismissal of DCI or CORPS staff who do not adhere to such policies. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, fsthnds said:

DCI MUST have a policy for their show staff and administration to follow. Including dismissal of DCI or CORPS staff who do not adhere to such policies. 

Yes.

And considering the industry's historical penchant for blacklisting members without discussion or appeal, I still think there must be an ethical, transparent way to conduct employment history checks so bad actors don't get rehired at other orgs once they're booted.

The drive to win and the allure of pedigree hires have got to stop overshadowing member safeguarding.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
grammar
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Yes.

And considering the industry's historical penchant for blacklisting members without discussion or appeal, I still think there must be an ethical, transparent way to conduct employment history checks so bad actors don't get rehired at other orgs once they're booted.

The drive to win and the allure of pedigree hires have got to stop overshadowing member safeguarding.

Maybe DCI needs to have a policy in place like the NHL where the commissoner told a team that a player they signed is NOT eligible to participate because of what he did to another person as a 14 year old. Completely eliminate any bad behavior!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Maybe DCI needs to have a policy in place like the NHL where the commissoner told a team that a player they signed is NOT eligible to participate because of what he did to another person as a 14 year old. Completely eliminate any bad behavior!

YUNO.jpg

I'm stuck on this meme lately.

DCI/DCA y u no implement established protocols that work in other industries?!

Great solution. Thanks.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:15 AM, C.Holland said:

They don’t want the gamble. They’d take the gamble with the courts over a gamble of not getting kids in the door. 

stupid isn't it?

• Thanks 1