SafeSport is not a Magic Wand

7 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

SafeSport was recently named in an sa lawsuit along with the US Paralympic organization on behalf of a cognitively disabled athlete. Jfc!

can't say i am surprised

On 11/11/2022 at 9:14 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

True.  But Pioneer didn’t fit well into the current DCI brand.  If the same thing happened at a top 15 Corps DCI does little to nothing.  SoA’s time-out was self-imposed  

Roman and Hoppie both would say no to DCI and do what they wanted to do. Rest of DCI corps leaders IMO are mutual back patting group who are all too willing to cover each other’s butts. That’s why DCI has to stop being able to “police” itself.

Hope SoA cleaned up totally. When the news hit there were posts attacking the victim and couple of threats toward people supporting the victim on the corps FB page. Some comments were eventually removed but seemed corps didn’t care or too clueless to clean up the mess

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

can't say i am surprised

After participating in the Safe Sport training for volunteers, I have to say the training I received from my Full Time employer re. safety and legal requirements for reporting incidents with minors and co-workers was more beneficial than any of the Safe Sport videos'

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fsthnds said:

After participating in the Safe Sport training for volunteers, I have to say the training I received from my Full Time employer re. safety and legal requirements for reporting incidents with minors and co-workers was more beneficial than any of the Safe Sport videos'

@fsthnds, was all of the SafeSport training done via video? Big red flag for me if so.

The second a minor student disclosed to me for the first time, I sought out training immediately and completed 20 hours before the week was out (https://www.d2l.org/ .) It was all video too, so it's not the medium that's necessarily problematic. The problem, in my mind, is that no amount of video training fully prepares you to be the (1) authority figure who can stay calm for a victim/survivor when they disclose AND know what your legal and moral obligations are in that moment or (2) authority figure with a subordinate who has been accused of a violation. So many people have had their boundaries violated (in drum corps alone) that a static, non-responsive video training option doesn't usually cut the mustard. Video training is too late for drum corps at this point. See title of post.

That said, minimal, foundational knowledge on these topics out in the drum corps ether is a net positive. If it gives one bystander the power to call violations out, that's a win. It's just not enough if you actually want to diminish instances of violations. That's what all future members and alum deserve starting now. Starting yesterday. Starting decades ago.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
grammar
  • Like 3