If you had a drum corps, what would you name it?

4 hours ago, scout9193 said:

Deez Nutz.  "Deez Nutz, you may enter the field in competition."

I'm feeling ya!

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2022 at 9:26 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

Okay, I'll fess up... there absolutely was a reason why I posted this. I've had this idea floating around in the back of my mind. I've been thinking about starting a band. It would operate in the same way that your average amateur rock band would, but with the instruments of a drumline. The basic concept is to imagine a typical indoor drumline but with the disturbing horror imagery associated with goth music.

Naming is something I've considered for a while. Do I go with a cool pop culture reference that has a sentimental value to me, or a name that sounds like the opening act for a Top 10 corps? Nothing is finalized yet, this is still just an idea. But there is one name that's stuck out the most to me: "Darkside Chronicles". It's referencing the title of a video game, but it also sounds like something you can picture Brant Crocker yelling out. It also alludes to the general vibe of this hypothetical band, and is a warning that this ain't your father's drumline.

So to sum it up, TL;DR: Fantasized about starting a band, wanted to see what kind of names DCI fans would fit a drum corps

So from 2005-2010, I co-produced a band called World Gone Mad.  It was essentially an all-age drum corps, except we didn't march and only played arrangements of rock music.  Some of it we arranged ourselves (we had a Bluecoats alum who was wonderful at it) and some of it came straight from Hal Leonard.  We had a 30 minute set, and the centerpiece of it was "A Young Person's Guide to KISS." 

At our peak we had 30 brass and 6 drums.  We played the Texas Drum Corps Preview for many years, as well as DCI/DCA shows, marching band comps, 10k's (that way the audience marched past *us*), roller derby, demolition derby, tattoo conventions, etc.  Also did a Mardi Gras one year that is one of my better travel stories.  And we played a club gig once that caused me to meet Chris M at Genesis, who because of him my kiddo ended up a DCI drum major.

Don't know if we were good, but we were very loud, and isn't that really the soul of drum corps?   

Mike

• Thanks 3

And in 2019, few other DCI expatriates and I started work on a SoundSport group.  Long story short, it was going to be an all-girl group.  We chose Valkyries for the name.  We were prepared and rolling for a limited debut in the summer of 2020, but then the pandemic came along, and the project didn't recover.

Mike

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

So from 2005-2010, I co-produced a band called World Gone Mad.  It was essentially an all-age drum corps, except we didn't march and only played arrangements of rock music.  Some of it we arranged ourselves (we had a Bluecoats alum who was wonderful at it) and some of it came straight from Hal Leonard.  We had a 30 minute set, and the centerpiece of it was "A Young Person's Guide to KISS." 

At our peak we had 30 brass and 6 drums.  We played the Texas Drum Corps Preview for many years, as well as DCI/DCA shows, marching band comps, 10k's (that way the audience marched past *us*), roller derby, demolition derby, tattoo conventions, etc.  Also did a Mardi Gras one year that is one of my better travel stories.  And we played a club gig once that caused me to meet Chris M at Genesis, who because of him my kiddo ended up a DCI drum major.

Don't know if we were good, but we were very loud, and isn't that really the soul of drum corps?   

Mike

That is so freaking awesome. You're a legend. 

Kips Bay Night Club and East Coast Jazz are some of my favorite names of any corps. And going through some of the names of corps back in the day, there are some great ones that stand out. 

The story about how a corps marched as “ The Thing” in the early 80’’s, probably deserves a description on this thread. I have heard it a few times but don’t remember all the details. I know it involved two Wisconsin corps trying to figure out what their merger name would be. Perhaps someone could explain it here. 

First, the Corps would be based in Duluth, MN. We would be called the Duluth Voyageurs. Sir Deluth was one

19 hours ago, Dmlkmen said:

The story about how a corps marched as “ The Thing” in the early 80’’s, probably deserves a description on this thread. I have heard it a few times but don’t remember all the details. I know it involved two Wisconsin corps trying to figure out what their merger name would be. Perhaps someone could explain it here. 

It was in 1973.  Two corps (Cedarburg Thunderbolts and Imperials of St. Patrick from neighboring Milwaukee) had already made their competitive debuts in late May/early June, and then decided to join forces.  They pulled out of the subsequent two weekends of contests to relearn a show combining songs from both repertoires.  There was no time/money to obtain matching uniforms for the enlarged corps, so uniforms from both corps were worn despite the clashing colors.  Before June was over, the combined corps was back in competition.

There are several instances of the corps being referred to as the "Imperial Thunderbolts" in July of 1973.  But their chosen interim name, "The Thing", was in place at their debut on June 30th.  The corps then let it be known that they were seeking additional financial sponsorship and a new name.  Perhaps those were intended to be a package deal (no pun intended), because when the Pioneer Container Corporation became that sponsor after the 1973 season, the corps adopted the same name.

On 11/28/2022 at 8:05 AM, scout9193 said:

Deez Nutz.  "Deez Nutz, you may enter the field in competition."

Good to see some current humor here in the drum corps community. DCI memes make my world go round

• Like 1