Legends Inactive 2023

Legends to be inactive for 2023 Season
After thoughtful consideration, the Legends Performing Arts Board of Directors voted unanimously to go inactive for the 2023 Season.
"The escalating costs to operate a touring corps continue to show no signs of reversal and while we always do our best to find a way, the current economic and global conditions will be a challenge that will take more resources to provide a quality experience," says Ibe Sodawalla, CEO. "As the founder of the corps, this organization is one I take great pride in and I've seen the impact we make to everyone involved. The decision to be inactive is one that is not easy to make and is necessary for us to strengthen our foundation, limit our risk, and revisit our strategic plan moving forward."
We would like to thank Legends 2022 for being with us on our relaunch. You are truly a special team that inspired many and helped to identify the strengths and weaknesses in this next era of the activity. And to those that expressed interest in Legends 2023, we appreciate that you had considered us for your experience.

https://www.facebook.com/legendsdrumandbuglecorps/posts/pfbid0AyyRi3hpXW234FJoJHdnvz4Nv8BbUSWC3UV5q1MmRSneurCZaFa5ryCdN8rSHh86l

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Well, ####. Why hasn’t drum corps seriously considered regional associations to stop the bleeding? 

Honest opinion - this was run poorly and they have been financially unstable for years. They were charging $1000 above world class corps years ago and they still struggled. A couple years ago they bought a new truck and uniforms and then plead on FB live for donations to cover it. Trying to be world class on an open class budget doesn't work. Then this year they charged 5k for only 6 weeks and stayed at hotels. Someone should have been giving better financial advice. 

They want to survive to next year then they need to keep running their open class shows in Michigan and do a soundsport. Cut the cost of semi and bus travel but still give something to show growth. They can still sell merch in Indy and generate more donations. 

• Like 3

Legends was smaller last year. It was also seemed to be a challenging year, at least from appearances. I’m sure not fielding in 2020 and 2021 played a huge role, but in the past Legends had some talented members. The same could be said for Louisiana Stars and 7th Regiment, both of which seemed smaller and hurt by the hiatus. I wonder how much of a role larger corps size and recruiting challenges in WC played a role.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Respectfully, I disagree with the point of view that holds that every time a drum corps goes inactive it is the fault of DCI.  When I was in BAC in 1980, there were FOUR other "World " class corps from our area.   The 27th Lancers, (who came in 2nd that year), Northstar, (top 12), Alliance, and the Defenders.   Within 5 years, all four had folded, and DCI had nothing to do with it.  Rather, it was sheer mismanagement.  In. Every. Single. Case.  The member max in those days was 128, nobody had month long spring training, and summer was comprised of a couple multiple week tours, instead of one big 65 day trip.  

As stated above, most of this has to do with decision making by the individual corps. 

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Whatever happened to that DCM thing? 

If you're talking the "Midwest Combine" from 2021, pretty sure that was just a one year deal to try and string together enough performance opportunities to make that year somewhat viable for the corps hitting the road.

If you're talking about the old DCM that ended in the late 2000's... If I'm not mistaken, the primary person in charge (Roman) resisted change that was necessary to keep the regional tour viable.  Basic things like having the ability to buy/sell tickets online, and other modern conveniences that pretty much every other business/activity were starting to utilize at the time.  I still remember having to call a number to get DCM tickets in advance all the way up to the very end.

Edited by rjohn76
Clarity & additional info