4 DAYS TILL DCI SCHEDULE RELEASE?

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

Unlikely DCI will book an NFL domed/undomed stadium in the future. Too expensive now. Even Drums Along The Rockies has moved, after decades at Mile High. The Alamodome is not an NFL stadium, and I imagine DCI gets a discounted rate, after so many years in that stadium. Heard that Mercedes Benz wanted $300,000 for 2023.  College stadiums are likely the venues DCI will use for their regionals in the future. 

I lived in San Antonio when they started building the Alamodome.  At the time it was sold as something needed to get an NFL team (either expansion or lured from somewhere else (NO Saints were mentioned at the time)).  Obviously hasn’t happened yet.  I wonder how economics of a domed stadium works when no pro term to call it home?   St Louis has the same problem.  Stadiums need maintenance and the $ need to come from somewhere. 

edit:   I suspect the taxpayers get involved 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Just sayin’ from my perspective … worst  … tour … ever.  They killed the early Midwest tour. Killed it dead. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 4

On 11/23/2022 at 12:28 PM, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Assuming lineups aren't necessarily complete yet, I would have hoped pairing down the tour schedule would increase lineups at events. A bigger issue I saw last year was just so many events with small lineups. Small lineups aren't going to attract the crowds. 

Poking around at some individual corps schedules, happy to see a bit more logistical approach geographically. Not a lot of backtracking for shows like we saw last year. 

Many many corps not entering the tour until July 1. Do they delay spring training? Or extend spring training?

Very happy to see a robust lineup for Prelims this year. Being the drum corps nut I am, I love the long day of prelims. 

Most years I hear about potential dates for local shows in late September, potential lineups in mid October and when the schedule is announced the show dates are usually accurate, the lineups are somewhat accurate, there my be a corps that will not be competing and another takes its place. This is not too secret info. You usually hear around Allentown, perhaps as early as San Antonio or Atlanta of corps doing something different the following year such as an East or Midwest corps going west or the West coast corps heading East. 

This past year I did hear potential dates, I did not hear lineups until the schedule was released. What I did hear about a week ago prior to the release was that more corps would be staying put for longer periods. It was not for more practice time or safety issues, though both no doubt  played a part, but the potential of the economy tanking and higher fuel prices. It’s also my understanding that a few shows not in the schedule could not get competitors but I don’t know specific shows or locations.

We’ll probably see a few tweaks and changes, but it will probably not be anything all that drastic. 

17 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Just sayin’ from my perspective … worst  … tour … ever.  They killed the early Midwest tour. Killed it dead. 

I think you’re correct. With the exception of shows sponsored by corps that can guarantee an audience, once a show is gone, it’s gone. 1984 was the last CYO Nationals sponsored by the Office of Youth Ministry of the Archdiocese of Boston. With North Star, Defenders, and Alliance gone, that took away a chunk of competitors. There were no corps in the wings to replace them. You still had 27th and BAC, and Garfield and Bridgemen loved the show, but there was no way you could bring eight or ten other competitors to Boston. The donor of the prize money was no longer a sponsor and I believe that both BC and Harvard Stadiums were unavailable in 1985. There would be a one year hiatus. The staff at the Office for Youth Ministry changed and I’m thinking there was a DCE issue, but that was the end of the show. Boston Crusaders does hold a CYO Nationals Tribute show, but it’s more in honor of the show.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 11:01 AM, fsthnds said:

How would the Lawrence Ma. 8/3 show fit in your equation? There was no show last year there so should that be added as a new location?

I don’t think a return of a show to a venue is a new location, especially a place like Lawrence that has hosted shows dating back to the 50’s. 

16 hours ago, Zeke said:

What is going on at DCI for them to go ahead and give the shaft to ALL OF the  PNW shows? I hope this and error and at least some dates are tentative. #WTH

I think if we take a step back and look at the gutted 2023 touring model in context of a lot of other recent issues we have complained about here in our community, it seems more and more obvious that DCI (the org) did not bounce back from the pandemic the way we had hoped. 

We keep lighting up customer service complaints here but I'm left wondering what the activity looks like if DCI is forced to fold and how satisfied we'll be with a brand new "whatever" that fills the void.

😕

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mingusmonk said:

I think if we take a step back and look at the gutted 2023 touring model in context of a lot of other recent issues we have complained about here in our community, it seems more and more obvious that DCI (the org) did not bounce back from the pandemic the way we had hoped. 

We keep lighting up customer service complaints here but I'm left wondering what the activity looks like if DCI is forced to fold and how satisfied we'll be with a brand new "whatever" that fills the void.

😕

Agree. Some of the pandemic fallout has not yet landed.  And increasing operating costs could impact where it lands.