4 DAYS TILL DCI SCHEDULE RELEASE?

2 hours ago, craiga said:

Regarding the Detroit Tour Premiere, last summer in order to support this show, Boston left the east coast, traveled 2 full days each way, had to pay for housing  two nights on the way out and two nights on the back, and  whole lot of transportation costs out and back for one performance.   It was the single most expensive show of the year for the organization and I for one am glad it won't be a factor this year.

For all that travel cost for that 1 show to and from Michigan , Boston Crusaders  finished 2.25 points in back of Bluecoats , and the Cavaliers were closer to the Crusaders in that show in Michigan ( 1.85 points ) than Boston was to Bluecoats . Crusaders had to get back to practice right after that it looked like  , as there really was not  much to show in placement success either for that time and effort to go there and back .

Edited by Boss Anova

11 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

This 2023 DCI schedule was put together knowing that transportation costs, ie fuel, food, etc are soaring due to inflationary pressures, energy costs. DCI was supposed to fold during the pandemic we often read here and on other social media, but actually rebounded about as well as could have reasonably expected, imo. Its far more likely that the soaring costs of fuel alone that followed the Pandemic likely made DCI go conservative with their shows for 2023, imo.

I think it is a good decision. I wasn't commenting on the merits. What I am looking at is a combination of things like a significant undercut in event staffing. Including, and especially, DCI Finals week. A complete overhaul in the touring model. Groups taking tour pauses and semi-annual breaks in competing. I guess we could say drastic measures for drastic times. So I am giving DCI the leeway to make the moves necessary to be solvent and financially thrive without calling the BBB.  It is going to ruffle some feathers because we all know change is not embraced much within our community.  Here's hoping t pans out.

Edited by mingusmonk

14 hours ago, Tim K said:

I’m surprised there is no Tour Premiere. I’m not surprised it is not being broadcast at movie theaters. Each year it seemed like fewer theaters were participating and attendance was down last year though that could have been Covid related. Movie theaters are still struggling. Last night was the first time I can remember not having to wait in line to see a movie on Thanksgiving weekend and it had nothing to do with electronic tickets. The theaters were empty.

I was thinking about catching a movie after work on thanksgiving with a friend, my first thought at the availability of tickets for shows that started a few minutes ago, my first internal thought was, “huh, I figured it would be sold out, nothing else is open! It’s thanksgiving!” But nope, attendance is definitely down. Even then, I probably would’ve still frequented the tour premier at the the theaters next summer were it to have happened😂

Edited by Vidal28Rdg

13 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

This 2023 DCI schedule was put together knowing that transportation costs, ie fuel, food, etc are soaring due to inflationary pressures, energy costs. DCI was supposed to fold during the pandemic we often read here and on other social media, but actually rebounded about as well as could have reasonably expected, imo. Its far more likely that the soaring costs of fuel alone that followed the Pandemic likely made DCI go conservative with their shows for 2023, imo.

ok so fuel will be cut down in the corps aren't moving daily. food, housing and insurance won't go down at all.

13 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would hope that each Corps has figured out what it costs to stay in place for a day, as well as what it costs (per mile, per hour, or per something) to move from one location to another.  They should also know revenues coming in from appearance fees, and work that into the equation.  Then, they could plan a tour that leaves the Corps as close to breaking even as possible.

They could even work this backwards - figure out what the costs are for the tour, the money coming in from the tour, sponsorships, bingo, creative bookkeeping, etc.  And then the difference is what is paid by members as tuition/fees/dues or whatever you want to call it.  The problem comes when fees are based on 160 members, but only 135 sign a contract.  So, do they offer reduced tuition to fill the Corps (leading to potential conflicts within the Corps (see Academy 2022), or do they go with 135 and try to make up for the reduced revenue elsewhere (see Jersey Surf 2022)?  Granted fewer mouths to feed, but it still costs same amount to haul the food truck, busses (unless you can shave off a bus) and equipment.  And, how do you accurately forecast the cost  of diesel fuel in summer 2023?

the problem is revenue for shows run by DCI depends on attendance. so you can game plan, but you really don't know those numbers til after the season is over and the big check gets cut.

on the other hand, you lose markets where attendance was good in many cases. that could in turn lessen fan participation. While corps are factoring inflation into their worlds, so are fans. so shows that no longer exist have fans that may not be willing to drive several hundred miles to see their closest show as well as food, tickets, and possibly hotels.

With Flo being a static cost, that's not necessarily bringing in more income either.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

No, it is not like Florida.  In Florida, it is unlikely that a full event can be conducted safely in summer weather.  The near-daily rains, even if brief, will cause many subsequent corps to cancel the whole visual show.  Props and tarps become definite hazards when wet.

Now explain to me how the home base of one of their own member corps could be "too much distance"?  DCI requires their member corps to tour from wherever they are based to San Antonio, Atlanta, Allentown and Indy.  Certainly, out of basic fairness if nothing else, DCI is obligated to reciprocate by sending the tour to the home area of each member corps.

well.....the PNW tour for many years now struggles to get names up there. maybe on year BD, or one year SCV....rarely both. Florida was more distance and cost than rain. corps still got paid either way, dry or wet. 

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well.....the PNW tour for many years now struggles to get names up there. maybe on year BD, or one year SCV....rarely both. Florida was more distance and cost than rain. corps still got paid either way, dry or wet. 

We also struggle to get corps to California, or New England.  Shall we cut them off the tour?

• Thanks 2

There's a tour model DCI needs to consider more strongly, and that's to treat certain areas like the PNW and the Northeast (a former drum corps stronghold) as standalone major regional tour areas once every two or three years, with a group of 5 or 6 big dogs committed to appearing at a series of shows in those regions.  Put together three or four events in the region over a week and bring big shows to the fanbases there in a concentrated, deliberate way.

Major pop music acts don't need to hit the same cities every summer - once every couple years is usually enough to make it make sense, and DCI can consider the same.

Florida, regrettably, has shown everyone the hard way how difficult it is to manage as a tour destination. Until there are more indoor stadiums, it's gotta be nope.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

DCI in retrospect in their formative years might have been better off adopting some variation of the NCAA model of regional competition where corps competed there in the summers and then the top 2-3 corps in the Regional there ( north , south , east west , maybe Midwest ) would send 2-3 top finishers there to the Nationals where then these Top 10 or 12 would compete there . Or sone variation of this model .

The model where all the Corps seemingly cris crossed the country wily nily , never really made sense to me . Oh well ,,water over the dam now . 

I don't know much about tour models, but whatever can get Bloo to California works for me.