4 DAYS TILL DCI SCHEDULE RELEASE?

On 11/28/2022 at 3:29 PM, mingusmonk said:

I get it.

The peak of my drum corps fan travels in the late 80's, within 2 years I went to shows in:

Goshen, IN

Mishawaka, IN

Ft Wayne, IN

Bloomington, IN

Marion, OH

Dayton, OH

I passed on Michigan City, IN, Portland, IN, Toledo, OH, etc.

For me at the time, all of the above ranged in drive-time from 30 minutes to 3 hours. Day trips. 

I went to a few shows further out in Illinois and then KC finals too on overnights.

I'm glad to have experienced it before it was gone.

2023 will be finals week only. 

yup. I had Hershey...sometimes 2 shows, Allentown...sometimes 2 shows, Camp Hill, Hanover, Red Lion, Millersville plus a slew of DCA shows.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 8:49 AM, craiga said:

It is true that only about 10% of Boston's membership these days are New England based, but BAC membership has never been about a zip code.  It isn't like the corps has just a post office box in Boston.  The completely renovated corps hall in Hyde Park is staffed by a group of dedicated full time employees, and Inspire recently acquired NESBA, the preeminent hs marching band circuit in New England.  That fact,  along with the Great East Music Festivals, and now three outreach music programs geared toward under-served urban youth demonstrates why the organization continues to recognized by both the city and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with numerous grants and awards.

I won't even get into the massive financial support the organization is able to generate from the city's financial sector.  It is disingenuous to suggest that there is anything "nominally" Boston about the Boston Crusaders.

To piggy back off of this. 

Yes there aren’t a large majority from Boston in the corps but for those that aren’t from Boston their favorite shows and moments on tour are because of that area or the alum in the Boston area. I know a lot of us were extremely sad that there weren’t a lot of Mass shows in 22 and a lot of members are celebrating the second half of tour Mass show. A lot of them are super excited to get to see the senior corps as well. The corps very much still calls Boston their home and do a lot in the area as well as give back to the community. 
To the members the name isn’t just the Crusaders. It’s the Boston Crusaders. There is no doubt in any members mind that the corps isn’t based in Boston or majorly Boston. The membership may not be from the area, but the love they have for the city and the corps, as well as the vigor they provide is more than enough. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fighterkit said:

To piggy back off of this. 

Yes there aren’t a large majority from Boston in the corps but for those that aren’t from Boston their favorite shows and moments on tour are because of that area or the alum in the Boston area. I know a lot of us were extremely sad that there weren’t a lot of Mass shows in 22 and a lot of members are celebrating the second half of tour Mass show. A lot of them are super excited to get to see the senior corps as well. The corps very much still calls Boston their home and do a lot in the area as well as give back to the community. 
To the members the name isn’t just the Crusaders. It’s the Boston Crusaders. There is no doubt in any members mind that the corps isn’t based in Boston or majorly Boston. The membership may not be from the area, but the love they have for the city and the corps, as well as the vigor they provide is more than enough. 

This.

10 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

No corps want to travel that long road up to Seattle, or down to Orlando. Don't blame them a bit. With soaring costs, the future of touring has to be efficient and sensible.

Efficient and sensible for whom?  For a lot of corps, Seattle is a much shorter trip than Allentown.  And for the two corps from the state of Washington, is it efficient and sensible to not have any shows within 750 miles of Seattle?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Efficient and sensible for whom?  For a lot of corps, Seattle is a much shorter trip than Allentown.  And for the two corps from the state of Washington, is it efficient and sensible to not have any shows within 750 miles of Seattle?

quick question....what crowd size were the shows up there drawing?

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

quick question....what crowd size were the shows up there drawing?

Thousands more than they will in 2023.

Not understanding the point of your question.  The PNW shows draw better than numerous other shows that remain on the schedule for 2023.  They draw well enough to be profitable.  And they serve the mission of DCI to promote the activity in that region.

I can understand steering the tour away from an area where no one wants to be (not even the corps based there).  But amputating an entire region from the continental United States, with existing corps in it, is a very severe measure.  Amputation is something you only do when the entire body could die otherwise.

• Thanks 4

14 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Not understanding the point of your question.  The PNW shows draw better than numerous other shows that remain on the schedule for 2023.  They draw well enough to be profitable.  And they serve the mission of DCI to promote the activity in that region.

I can understand steering the tour away from an area where no one wants to be (not even the corps based there).  But amputating an entire region from the continental United States, with existing corps in it, is a very severe measure.  Amputation is something you only do when the entire body could die otherwise.

Irony. Drum corps is funded by student tuition. Appearance fees are so scant that it doesn’t matter if they sell tickets to non DCI sponsored shows.  Hell, it doesn’t matter if they sell tickets at all.  75-85% (or 90% for open class) of corps funding is member dues. The rest is grants, donors, then their share of the season’s revenue. 

If they couldn’t get show operators for the area, or enough show operators (for the days they hoped for) to be able to make traveling to the region worthwhile, then they cut that part of tour.  

keep in mind every show on the tour is because of its adjacency to another show, and the number of potential band students dci can be marketed to. Everything else outside of these reasons is a bonus. But not a necessity. 

16 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

i ask because i have no idea what they drew. Hershey drew 5000-7000 annually. hasn't been on the schedule for 17 years. Yet it's right there where the tour runs. but if the corps in the area realize no one wants to come play in their sandbox, then why fight it?

as i have said before, it's all about DCI and or the corps making money in the BOA heartland for a majority of the tour. PNW isn't part of that heartland. Boston just got involved in a circuit up there, so look they have shows? And BD with WBA and USBands...yep. the tour map makes perfect sense.

as i have said before, it's all about DCI and or the corps making money in the BOA heartland for a majority of the tour. PNW isn't part of that heartland. Boston just got involved in a circuit up there, so look they have shows? And BD with WBA and USBands...yep. the tour map makes perfect sense.

Competitive marching band is pretty sparse in New England.  I would estimate there are three times as many bands (and four times as many band kids) in the states of Washington/Oregon/Idaho currently being amputated.  Meanwhile, the band scene in Florida is so much larger that we should be staging shows there come hell or high water (so to speak).

I think the point is being missed here.  Part of the DCI business model is to promote the activity by showcasing its member corps in events all over the country.  DCI typically has member corps all over the country, and part of the foundational purpose of the DCI circuit was to establish a logical tour to connect them all.

You speak as if DCI should not even be a nationwide operation, but instead cherry-pick the areas of greatest band kid population density and only operate events there.  That is the BOA business model.  It seems to work for BOA.  But BOA is for scholastic marching bands, not summer touring ensembles.  And BOA simply offers high-end events for a sufficiently affluent subset of a much larger band activity that has dozens of other circuits all over the country administering events.  BOA is not compelled to promote the band activity in every geographic market - others are doing that.

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2022 at 8:46 AM, Terri Schehr said:

I noticed it’s July 4th week.  That could actually work for us.  It’s hot in Cincinnati  but it’s inferno here so going up north in summer is always a good idea. 

Won’t be doing that. Jim read an article that plane fares are going up and availability is going down in the new year.  So we bought our plane tickets for Indy yesterday.  Holy ####.  Even going through a corporate discount it was ridiculous. Allegiant out of Punta Gorda was almost as much as Delta/Ft. Myers.  So we went with Delta and the upgrade.  Good luck if you’re flying in. $$$$$

• Sad 1