4 DAYS TILL DCI SCHEDULE RELEASE?

34 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Yeah it’s not cheap to march but if a kids wants to do DC or a sport or theater, dance, etc., they find a way.  And many of those activities aren’t cheap either.

Cost to play Ice Hockey..... Beginner levels... $2000- $2500 season

Intermediate level player :  $6.000- $7.000 season

Traveling AAU Youth Hockey, Advanced Level: $10,000 -$12,000 season

Are ice hockey youth (ages 8-22 ) all from " upper middle class families " ? Oh heck no. While some are, most are decidedly not.

https://bshockey.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-play-hockey/

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

2022 pricing for 8 week New York YMCA overnight summer camp for youth : $2.000- $ 5, 000.   Field trips beyond the camp are extra cost, specialty training instruction not included,  medical assistance if needed, additional cost, other hidden costs.

Elite accommodation 8 week overnight summer " stay put " camps for youth costs between $7.000- $10,000 year now in 2022.

https://www.vocationaltraininghq.com/cost/overnight-summer-camp/

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

MAASIN Crowd sourced numbers for the 2022 season and came up with this post/thread on fees.

6 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

The kids who march today mostly come from upper-middle class families. Not a problem for their parents to shell out $6,000 for dues and other travel expenses. 

Not in my corps - they struggled mighty hard in the Before Times of 2017-2019.

Mike

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Interested in knowing where you derived this factoid from “kids who march today mostly come from upper middle class families”. Is this accurate, or hyperbole?  And their parents shell out $6,000 for dues (dues?) and other travel expenses.  Such as?  What corps is charging $6k for dues?

Some Kids who march today pay their own way. They take advantage of reduced tuition and fee opportunities offered by corps and alums and sponsors.  They don’t all rely on upper middle class parents.  And some aren’t from upper middle class backgrounds.  We should not be generalizing all kids into the same box.  Many different kids and situations.  Yeah it’s not cheap to march but if a kids wants to do DC or a sport or theater, dance, etc., they find a way.  And many of those activities aren’t cheap either.

A lot of families are also paying college tuition in addition to corps fees. 

• Like 2

I don't care how many times people on here repeat the fiction that only upper middle class kids can do drum corps.  It is simply not true. I know dozens upon dozens of current marching members personally, and I can't name a single one who is rich, wealthy,  financially comfortable, upper middle class etc.  All of them work to pay their tuition (aka tour fees) and interestingly, many seem to work at Starbucks for some reason.  Some people seem determined to paint these kids with an inaccurate brush. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, craiga said:

I don't care how many times people on here repeat the fiction that only upper middle class kids can do drum corps.  It is simply not true. I know dozens upon dozens of current marching members personally, and I can't name a single one who is rich, wealthy,  financially comfortable, upper middle class etc.  All of them work to pay their tuition (aka tour fees) and interestingly, many seem to work at Starbucks for some reason.  Some people seem determined to paint these kids with an inaccurate brush. 

It's a good thing nobody actually said "only upper middle class kids can do drum corps." 

8 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

...The kids who march today mostly come from upper-middle class families. ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

It's a good thing nobody actually said "only upper middle class kids can do drum corps." 

Inaccurate nonetheless.