4 DAYS TILL DCI SCHEDULE RELEASE?

I think the future of drum corps may be with Blast style theatre shows/contests. An eight week summer tour.   Small corps (75 performers), 35 brass, 20 percussion/other instruments, 20 guard. Costs would be cut considerably, as only two coach buses would be needed for touring. Renting a theatre for a day would be considerably less than leasing a stadium. No more rain-outs, or rain delays. Great acoustics.  No more need for stadium practice fields.  Star of Indiana, and Bill Cook led the way, and perhaps predicted the future. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phantom56 said:

I think the future of drum corps may be with Blast style theatre shows/contests. An eight week summer tour.   Small corps (75 performers), 35 brass, 20 percussion/other instruments, 20 guard. Costs would be cut considerably, as only two coach buses would be needed for touring. Renting a theatre for a day would be considerably less than leasing a stadium. No more rain-outs, or rain delays. Great acoustics.  No more need for stadium practice fields.  Star of Indiana, and Bill Cook led the way, and perhaps predicted the future. 

I haven’t seen an advertisement for Blast! in years. I appreciate the legacy of Star of Indiana and Bill Cook was forward thinking, no question. Blast! was great entertainment  but Blast! did not, at least in my opinion, lead to much of anything that started a trend.

Edited by Tim K

I must say....the level of hypocrisy by a few here on dcp is mind boggling.   It seems like every time a corps folds, goes inactive, or asks for financial assistance there is a chorus of dcpers who start in with "its the DCI touring model, there are too many shows, they are too far apart, diesel costs are skyrocketing, tour is too long, the corps can't afford this .....blah, blah, blah."

Then, when DCI (which is comprised of the corps directors), takes tangible measures to shorten tour, thin out the show schedule, give corps more non-travel days, and go from 9 weeks on the road to 6, people howl in protest!

SMH!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, craiga said:

I must say....the level of hypocrisy by a few here on dcp is mind boggling.   It seems like every time a corps folds, goes inactive, or asks for financial assistance there is a chorus of dcpers who start in with "its the DCI touring model, there are too many shows, they are too far apart, diesel costs are skyrocketing, tour is too long, the corps can't afford this .....blah, blah, blah."

Then, when DCI (which is comprised of the corps directors), takes tangible measures to shorten tour, thin out the show schedule, give corps more non-travel days, and go from 9 weeks on the road to 6, people howl in protest!

SMH!

Well, bless your heart 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, craiga said:

SMH!

So does anyone here actually take both sides of these issues?  Or does it only "seem like" that?

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2022 at 8:35 PM, Zeke said:

What is going on at DCI for them to go ahead and give the shaft to ALL OF the  PNW shows? I hope this and error and at least some dates are tentative. #WTH

Cause corps didn’t want to go…..like Florida. Too much distance for too little return 

10 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

I think if we take a step back and look at the gutted 2023 touring model in context of a lot of other recent issues we have complained about here in our community, it seems more and more obvious that DCI (the org) did not bounce back from the pandemic the way we had hoped. 

We keep lighting up customer service complaints here but I'm left wondering what the activity looks like if DCI is forced to fold and how satisfied we'll be with a brand new "whatever" that fills the void.

😕

It’s not just the pandemic. They want shows run by corps or dci itself 

7 hours ago, craiga said:

SMH!

Yup.

and what most ignore is there’s still costs. Food, housing insurance and some travel costs even with fewer show days 

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

So does anyone here actually take both sides of these issues?  Or does it only "seem like" that?

I see both sides and there’s some truth on both sides. There’s also blindness to other costs still incurred