Favorite single DCI songs?

Puma/Rainforest 92 Crossmen

My Body is a Cage SCV 18

First Circle BD 85

Crown 08 ballad

• Like 1

Great topic. Thanks for starting the discussion. 

1988 Blue Devils, Since I fell for you closer and the opener. The reprise of the opener that the Blue Devils played in their 2009 show, is also one of my faves. 

1991 Crossmen - Its really the whole thing from Minuano to Third Wind. But what stands out is the drum solo in Third Wind. Gets me every time. (1998’s version as wel)).

1993 has some of my favorites…

1993 Madison Scouts  Strawberry Soup- Crowd Reaction at the end with the soloists on the front sideline is the definition of on fire. Arguably, any brass players dream to be those guys. 

1993 - Phantom Regiment End of Estancia with the crab step into Fire of Eternal Glory. Like Madison, the crowd reaction plus the music - chills every time I hear it. 

1993 - Blue Devils, the Hank Levy piece in that show. The arrangement is masterful, and that hornline playing it is just…legendary. So calming and relaxing each time I put on the Blue Devils Legacy CD in my car. 

1984- Madison Scouts, Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters. A piece I would LOVE if they brought back on the field. Its just sounds so unorthodox to be in a drum corps show…Thats why I love it. 

Anything John Adams.... Short Ride in a Fast Machine, Harmonic Nights, Chairman’s Dances…all great. I vote for more John Adams on the field. 

Star 1989….The company front and the chord. G horn goodness and chills every time I hear it. 

If the meaning of “triumph” were to be described in music….Phantom Regiment’s 2010 opener from the Band of Brothers, and the 1992 closer for the Cavaliers. 

Anytime a corps has played On the Waterfront. 

I am with a lot of you on Shaker Loops. I love the groove of that section in Bloo’s 2015 show and find myself bobbing my head to it every time I hear it. 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 4

Cadets-To  kill a mockingbird  .....BD- Channel one suite...Crossmen- The whole 91 show  and lastly, Madison Scouts-Theme from ice Castles

I'm in concurrence with many of the classics here.

SCV's 2000 Barber's Adagio still hits me in the feels.  That has personal resonance for me though as I've shared here before.

Of recent things, I snipped BD's Everything Must Change from the rest of Metamorph to play as a single.  The show as a whole didn't enthrall me, but that ballad stands as a fantastic summer jam.  Listening to it by itself and with no video, you'd be hard pressed to say it was 100+ musicians on a football field and not a tight big band unit playing at some sultry summer Jazz festival.  

Nimrod - Crown 2010
Ave Maria - Regiment 2006

Simple Song - Garfield 83

Slaughter - Madison every year.

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 1

Oh. Bloo's Creep is another great standalone number.  I've introduced a fair few people to what Drum Corps can do with that one.  

1984 Suncoast Sound - Aquarius and I Can't Get No Satisfaction

2003 Phantom regiment - Harmonic Journey (whole show). Wow, just wow!

2017 Carolina Crown - Little Fugue in D Minor

1983 Cadets - Rocky Point Holiday

Just to name a few more...

• Like 2

Some standouts that still float to the surface of my drum corps memories:

"America" -- Bridgemen 1981

"Slava" -- SCV 1981

"One More Time Chuck Corea" -- BD 1982

"Rocky Point Holiday" -- Cadets 1983

"Mars" -- Cavaliers 1995

"Battle Hymn" -- Troopers 2013

"Concerto for Percussion and Orchestra" -- BK 2017