Drum Major Feats

What are some of the more impressive feats that you have seen drum majors do in a show?

For me the drum major of the Cavaliers who conducted in 3 while marking time in 2 at the end of Variations on a Korean Folk Song was pretty mind blowing. Amazing concentration! 

• Like 1

Personally I think that Cadets 2001, young persons guide, has the most impressive feat.

Both Dm's standing on the same podium conducting in different times with different meters for two different sections is impressive. Super impressive isolation of tempo and maintaining it with very little help from the drumline. Personally something Im not sure I could have done until year two of being DM. 

On 11/22/2022 at 4:41 PM, fighterkit said:

Personally I think that Cadets 2001, young persons guide, has the most impressive feat.

Both Dm's standing on the same podium conducting in different times with different meters for two different sections is impressive. Super impressive isolation of tempo and maintaining it with very little help from the drumline. Personally something Im not sure I could have done until year two of being DM. 

Speaking of Cadets... the 1977 Cadets ( old school ) had the DM temporarily come off the podium, and play brass in a trio for the song " Echano"... .  we pick it up at the  6:43 mark to the 9.43 mark ( all 3 are pretty good, imo, for BITD ), then back on the podium.. haha!

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Speaking of Cadets... the 1977 Cadets ( old school ) had the DM temporarily come off the podium, and play brass in a trio for the song " Echano"... .  we pick it up at the  6:43 mark to the 9.43 mark ( all 3 are pretty good, imo, for BITD ), then back on the podium.. haha!

I love it. I want to say in 17 (?) the colts DM had a solo on trombone as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

BAC BOD Mike Woodall, when DM, played a soprano solo.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TOC said:

BAC BOD Mike Woodall, when DM, played a soprano solo.

Oh yes.. forgot about that, you're right. 👍(. I 'm  sure over the decades a few others did a similar " multitask " like this).

Boston Crusaders Sr's  long time DM Jack Laselva (  retired recently, marched BAC in the 60's, playing soprano ), also conducted and at some exhibitions also took up a soprano bugle and played a solo.... likewise very good on it. 

Me at 2004 DCA prelims with SoCal Dream and somehow surviving Gulf Coast Sound's podium....scariest thing I'd ever been on.

03 or 04 (forget which year) and Renegades with "Niner-Two"...forget her name (everyone called her "Trinity" because her uni looked like that of the character fro "The Matrix") and differing rhythm patterns on EACH HAND.  Freaked me out whenever i saw her do it!

2016 Academy...just for being SUCH a showman and a #### fine conductor!