Drum Corps Conspiracy Theories/Obscure Facts?

Hi everyone. I want to start an Iceberg Chart project on the subject of DCI and drum corps and general, and I need some advice.

The basic idea of an iceberg chart is that the tip of the iceberg represents things that everybody knows about the topic, while the very bottom has things that are only known by a few people or theories that are most likely false. For example, this is a chart about space that uses this format

mjubdady8ez61.png?auto=webp&s=ca6b403b2b

With this in mind, do you have any interesting tidbits to share regarding the subject of drum corps? It doesn't matter how verifiable it is and "friend-of-a-friend" type stories are always welcome! Those interest me the most. Also, have you ever had or heard about drum corps related conspiracy theories? Those are also of interest to me

People who eat the ends of bread loaves during pb&j meals are some of the real heroes of drum corps. 😂

Still others stop their peers from piling up trash anywhere on site, and/or help bag it and move it for the food truck crew/admin.... others help load the busses. Even if they're getting discount on tour, these folks are the real-real heroes. March your ### off all day, clean up for/help your friends when possible. Leave a site cleaner than you found it.

I hope this has remained true for SC and other corps because it was quintessential to my experience. Thanks to Myron, rest in power. He once pulled us off our busses in a random parking lot on tour and told us to pick up all the trash we could find. I'll never forget it. Some of my peers rolled their eyes, which is a fair response from young people asked to do random cleanup... but the lesson stuck with me.

• Like 2

I was one of the weird kids that likes the heel of the loaf for PBJs  Other sandwiches, not so much.  But they're perfect for PBJs. 

• Like 3

Posted this a few years ago...When I marched with the N.Y. Skyliners, one of my first shows was an exhibition we had at Lewisberg Federal Penitentiary in Pennsylvania.WE marched on a field surrounded by inmates who, while being guarded closely, appreciated our brief presentation...But the highlight of our brief presentation was an acknowledgement by one lone cellmate overlooking the field who yelled out:"Hey Pee Wee, Hey Pepe" as we left the field...Aparently the old Brooklyn neighborhood guy had made it to Lewisberg for a few years of R and R and when he recognized Pee Wee and Pepe, we(the corps) laughed our ##### off at our apparent popularity with the underworld set...Some of us picked horns and drums in our respective neighborhoods to express ourselves BITD....Others chose knives and guns...Needless to say, I was glad to be back on the bus and outside prison the prison walls

• Like 3

3 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

Posted this a few years ago...When I marched with the N.Y. Skyliners, one of my first shows was an exhibition we had at Lewisberg Federal Penitentiary in Pennsylvania.WE marched on a field surrounded by inmates who, while being guarded closely, appreciated our brief presentation...But the highlight of our brief presentation was an acknowledgement by one lone cellmate overlooking the field who yelled out:"Hey Pee Wee, Hey Pepe" as we left the field...Aparently the old Brooklyn neighborhood guy had made it to Lewisberg for a few years of R and R and when he recognized Pee Wee and Pepe, we(the corps) laughed our ##### off at our apparent popularity with the underworld set...Some of us picked horns and drums in our respective neighborhoods to express ourselves BITD....Others chose knives and guns...Needless to say, I was glad to be back on the bus and outside prison the prison walls

Occasionally our number of members fluctuated depending on who was or wasn’t in jail…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

Jimmy Hoffas “Alma mater”. When I was a kid and Hoffa was there we took a trip to see family north of there. Mom said “maybe we’ll see Hoffa waving as we go by”. Had this mental picture of the cons waving to cars from behind the barred windows. 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

People who eat the ends of bread loaves during pb&j meals are some of the real heroes of drum corps. 😂

The time I volunteered, taking the end slices was what I'd been doing for decades.  At the time, the different looks from mm never led me to believe I was doing a good thing.  Can I get my good doobie  badge please?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

When I marched in the Cadets we used to have  drill practice in the parking lot of the Bergen County jail in Hackensack in the evenings. We could hear the inmates yelling through the windows. 

i wonder if us playing the same 12 minutes if music for hours on end, all summer long, would qualify as cruel and unusual punishment.  😀

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, TOC said:

The time I volunteered, taking the end slices was what I'd been doing for decades.  At the time, the different looks from mm never led me to believe I was doing a good thing.  Can I get my good doobie  badge please?

TOC, I dub thee as the sole and Supreme Hero of all drum corps ever forever thanks to your tireless consumption of bread ends when no one else had the fortitude, strength, and compassion to do so, those monsters!

Lol, eating the ends wasn't my first instinct, but when I saw enough mostly empty bags with nothing but the ends, I hopped to. Apparently, it's a goofy phenomenon observed across corps. 🤣

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

TOC, I dub thee as the sole and Supreme Hero of all drum corps ever forever thanks to your tireless consumption of bread ends when no one else had the fortitude, strength, and compassion to do so, those monsters!

Lol, eating the ends wasn't my first instinct, but when I saw enough mostly empty bags with nothing but the ends, I hopped to. Apparently, it's a goofy phenomenon observed across corps. 🤣

Apparently the fear of eating bread crusts (& I would suggest that bread ends are the ultimate crusts) is called crustaphobia.  I saw this on the internet. so it must be true.  

I suppose the opposite would be a crustophile.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1