Drum Corps Conspiracy Theories/Obscure Facts?

5 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I call it lore just to give it the silly honor I think it deserves. Thanks for asking anyway, much obliged . 🙂 Vanguard has a very disjointed diaspora to be sure. Makes some of us wonder why that is....

I also refer to show backstory and concepts as lore, but maybe that's the video gamer in me. Wasn't there also talk of a Bluecoats "agriculture" show? Everyone dismissed the idea but they actually ended up being one of their all-time greats like Tilt or Down Side Up? I seem to remember something like this

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I also refer to show backstory and concepts as lore, but maybe that's the video gamer in me. Wasn't there also talk of a Bluecoats "agriculture" show? Everyone dismissed the idea but they actually ended up being one of their all-time greats like Tilt or Down Side Up? I seem to remember something like this

The bluecoats tried to convince everyone that their 2016 show was title agriculture. 
Same season Cadets tried to convince everyone and fake leak a Lion King Show. 

A lot of this stuff is just fake leaks members do to mess around with members.

Same thing about how a few years ago I told people BAC was playing John Cage's 4'22 in 2020, or someone else I know started the every breath you take rumor for 22. Just bogus stuff that we thought would be funny. 

• Thanks 1

Also, there's a few things I vaguely remember that I want to know if anyone had more info on these.

- Crossmen airplane parent. I made a joke on a thread about parents showing up to BD with signs of their kid, then someone told me that a rich Crossmen mom hired an airplane with a banner that had her kid on it. The plane was specifically made to fly over the stadium when other bands were playing. Is there any footage/evidence of this? Is it mostly "confirmed" to be Crossmen and not just a "substitute the name with x corps" thing?

- Blue Devils Weed Guy. I can't remember where I heard/read about this, but it feels like a niche urban legend. The story goes that a bass drummer from BD got busted with drugs the day before finals, while everyone else was sleeping he snuck into the trailer and got his drum. Finals night he marches the show like nothing happened, and no one notices until BD goes off the field. 

- Spotify. Currently, BD is the only corps to have any music on Spotify. There is an unofficial DCI playlist on Spotify that includes them, and also has dead links with well-known titles like "Felliniesque", "Metamorph", "Babylon" and most interestingly "Babylon- Impact". When you try to play a song from a dead link, nothing happens or a notification pops up saying "Song unavailable". I also heard that the BD artist page is unofficial, but they posted a full album of just drum cadences in 2020.

• Like 1

I’ve mentioned it on here before (and my screen name alludes to it) but the “Buick” nickname for Phantom Regiment’s bari/euph section started in 94, NOT 89. It wss during a mid week pre-show warmup, when (then) caption head Bill Peterson was working with the line.

He had us playing a three note sequence from the beginning of White Witch Doctor and, apparently, we were being a little too dainty with it.

So he explained that if you imagined all of the brass sections having a different car personality— say the sopranos being Porches— then we had to be Buicks.

The next show, he called us Buicks again and we eventually started calling those three notes the Buick mating call.

Somehow, over the years, the real story was forgotten and morphed into the 89 line supposedly sounding like Buicks, but that was never the case. (For example, not once in all of 92, or 94 up to that point, did anyone ever refer to the section by that name.)

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

- Blue Devils Weed Guy. I can't remember where I heard/read about this, but it feels like a niche urban legend. The story goes that a bass drummer from BD got busted with drugs the day before finals, while everyone else was sleeping he snuck into the trailer and got his drum. Finals night he marches the show like nothing happened, and no one notices until BD goes off the field.

I can confirm this one to be true.  The year was 2000, and finals were in College Park, MD.  Apparently the campus police busted a bunch of members from different corps smoking weed after semifinals.  One of them was a member of Blue Devils.  The guy was bailed out by the corps director and told that he wasn't marching finals night.  Several members of the drum line collaborated to hide this guy's uniform in a place where he could retrieve it while the corps was warming up.  He donned the uniform and somehow managed to get his drum off the equipment truck when nobody was looking.  He was pretty much undetected until ran down the ramp and onto the field just as the corps was starting their on field warm up.  The drum line looked pretty hyped to see him get in there, and nobody made an effort to stop him from a staff perspective.  Given the fact that this was pre-social media times, the vast majority of the audience had no clue what had happened.  Most assumed that the guy had a last minute drum head change or some other technical issue that resulted in him being late.  It wasn't until much later that the story really got out.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rjohn76 said:

I can confirm this one to be true.  The year was 2000, and finals were in College Park, MD.  Apparently the campus police busted a bunch of members from different corps smoking weed after semifinals.  One of them was a member of Blue Devils.  The guy was bailed out by the corps director and told that he wasn't marching finals night.  Several members of the drum line collaborated to hide this guy's uniform in a place where he could retrieve it while the corps was warming up.  He donned the uniform and somehow managed to get his drum off the equipment truck when nobody was looking.  He was pretty much undetected until ran down the ramp and onto the field just as the corps was starting their on field warm up.  The drum line looked pretty hyped to see him get in there, and nobody made an effort to stop him from a staff perspective.  Given the fact that this was pre-social media times, the vast majority of the audience had no clue what had happened.  Most assumed that the guy had a last minute drum head change or some other technical issue that resulted in him being late.  It wasn't until much later that the story really got out.

Wasnt he an Odello?

Yeah i remember seeing the guy run in at College Park.  Several people were "what was that about?"  Then they were on for the show and eh...

Didn't learn the story until years later for me...

Only video i've ever found has them on the field in the opening set after warmup facing the backfield for that really awesome set the move around the field while rotating front to back field playing to open the show.

as an aside, looking made me find SCV 2000s show, which has personal meaning for me.  And dang I love that show still. 

Edited by KVG_DC